• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Grooveyjulie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Selfish people, cruelty to animal's, and retail staff who see you in a wheelchair ♿ and will only talk to the my husband when I am asking a question or paying for something that really makes me mad
..... and 5.1 again today. Things have certainly settled down this last couple of weeks!
Thats really good mine was 4.9 this morning little higher.

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs M is 5.2 this morning. I'm very proud of her; she has overcome her fear of the blood test and positively embraced it as part of her life. The little kit goes everywhere with us and she is disappointed if she forgets to take a reading on time. She is determined to keep up this testing six times a day at least until the next HbA1c test!

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 for Mrs M this morning, that's the highest since we began testing 10 days ago.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I know that feeling. My wife also take advice from random people she knew at school as a child 60yrs ago, having ignored the same advice from me!
Maybe it was confirmation from other people made her realise you gave good advice.

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Im in a strange predicament as it is unsure if I am pre Diabetes or Type 2. Im transplanted and on Immunosupression Medication and Cortisone daily. Some days I wakeup with 104mg or I may get a waking squirt of adrenalin that I actually feel and next thing my blood is 140mg. I can regulate sometimes with sport but it is annoying that I am moreor less on my own as my Diabetes Centre only measures my HbA1c every 6 months and coulnt explain 2 readings or 5,3 and 5.4 respectively and then all of a sudden with no personal changes it was up to 6,5. So I just follow good advice. and try to keep all my fasting and pre food readings below 140mg and my after food readings below 180mg.

elise40

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. I’ve recently been told I have pre diabetes. I woke this morning and I done my bloods and tbh I’m pretty scared and having a fair few panic attacks. Can anyone help me please. My readings this morning was 213mg or 6.6mmol/L I am literally scared and worried incase it’s gotten worse.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got HBA1C of 5.9% (pre diabetes), I tried dieting(eliminated snacks - biscuits, buns, chips, sugary stuff) and exercising and intermittent fasting for couple of years. Still, my HBA1C hovered around 5.7%-5.8%.
I later eliminated all sugary fruits, carbs(bread, rice, wheat, millets, lentils etc). I then automatically lost some more weight and my polyphagia(frequent hunger ) came under control. Instead of grains, lentils, I now eat nuts and seeds, plenty of veggies(non starchy), green leaves and low sugar berries.
HBA1C is stable at 5.0% -5.3% now.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning. I’ve recently been told I have pre diabetes. I woke this morning and I done my bloods and tbh I’m pretty scared and having a fair few panic attacks. Can anyone help me please. My readings this morning was 213mg or 6.6mmol/L I am literally scared and worried in case it’s gotten worse.
A fasting blood glucose reading of 6.6 mmol/l first thing in the morning is none too shabby. No reason to panic.

Have you monitored your blood glucose levels at other times? IMO, the most important readings are just before you take the first mouthful, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. Then compare that first number with the result two hours later. The second reading should be no more than 2 mmols/l above the first one and no higher than 8 mmols/l. If that's the case, it shows that your body dealt with the arrival of glucose in your bloodstream and cleared it relatively quickly. If you achieve that consistently, you'll lower your FBG results.

The FBG reading is very often the last to improve and may take a while.

B7jac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Newbie her,e can someone explain these numbers above please? I have 45mmol Hba1c (pre diabetes) where is the numbers you are all quoting coming from?

Had a level of 47mmol some 18 months ago, tried hard to get it down, stopped eating the obvious sugary stuff, was 44mmol 6 months later, not much of a shift but I was happy as I wasn't restricting myself on other foods and lost 7lbs.
Fast forward to this year, have had a TIA scare (still having tests) so was put on 40mg of Astorvastatin, which I've read can push glucose level up? I also had covid about 6 weeks ago, then a abdominal pain which I was worried was Diverticulitis, but given pain killers and went away in a week, So as I'm never usually ill, I am now quite down that I am now falling apart! havent been concentrating on food, and allowed myself a few treats, eating wrong kind of bread! wholemeal = more sugar, who knew? tinned tomatoes 7g of sugar in half a tin! Beans 10g in half a tin! and now I'm at 45mmol !! almost back to square one!
I'm 64yrs old, yes overweight and not very active (started walking today) I'm also kinship carer to 2 of my Grandchildren (teens 16yrs and 15yrs) for the last 5yrs (its not been easy). however they have spent a lot of time with their father since summer hols with a view to remaining there, He is not my son, my daughter is children mother and therefore this move hasn't gone down well with her ! I am also estranged from one of my sons and not allowed to see his two daughters, heartbreaking....... So I have a lot going on and could do with some positive uplifting advise please

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @B7jac The HbA1C is a measure of glycated red blood cells, which gives an indication of blood glucose averaged over the life of a red blood cell = about 3 months. A measure of 42 to 47 is teemed Pre-Diabetes, and a measure of 48 or higher is Diabetes (usually Type 2, but that test does not distinguish between the different types).

The other figures you see (such as 5.2 and 5.4) are an instantaneous blood glugose reading taken from either a BG meter (finger-prick) or from a Continuous Glucose Meter - less accurate and much more expensive, but gives continuous measurements.

Here is a link to the Blog post which set me on the path to T2D remission (over 3 yrs in remission now):

Reactions: B7jac