• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.35am FBG 5.3

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs M has a HbA1C of 47 and has decided to test regularly before and 2 hrs after meals. First readings just before breakfast this week were 4.9, 5.2, and 5.1.

Reactions: coby and SlimLizzy

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on persuading her to test .
It wasn't me! She met with friends for coffee on Sunday and was advised that it was better to test voluntarily now with the full help of a supportive husband than be required to test, take meds, inject and see an irreversible decline in health!
This mornings blood sugar 5.0

• Friendly
Reactions: coby and Grace04

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good advice! Sometimes people take it better from outsiders. Annoying, but the results are worth it.

Reactions: Martin_

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I know that feeling. My wife also take advice from random people she knew at school as a child 60yrs ago, having ignored the same advice from me!

Reactions: Omar51

Grooveyjulie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Selfish people, cruelty to animal's, and retail staff who see you in a wheelchair ♿ and will only talk to the my husband when I am asking a question or paying for something that really makes me mad
My fasting is 5.1 it normally ranges from 4.4 - 5.2 i dont know what the ideal target is, can anyone let me know please thank you

Reactions: Grace04

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting is 5.1 it normally ranges from 4.4 - 5.2 i dont know what the ideal target is, can anyone let me know please thank you
Hi Julie, I'm new on here so don't know all the answers, but Mrs M's range is usually 4.9 to 5.6. I think the best way to test is just before a meal, then 2 hours after. The second reading should be no more than 2 higher in ideal circumstances.

Mrs M is 5.1 this morning.

Grooveyjulie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Selfish people, cruelty to animal's, and retail staff who see you in a wheelchair ♿ and will only talk to the my husband when I am asking a question or paying for something that really makes me mad
Mrs M was 5.4 this morning.
Hello
Mine this morning is 4.7 it tends to range from 4.2 - 5.4, i do my pin prick in the morning, 1hr and 2hr pass meals then once before bed, is this too much?
Have a great day.
Julie

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
1hr and 2hr pass meals then once before bed, is this too much?
The general consensus seems to be, test just before a meal, then test again two hours after a meal. If you don't test just before a meal you have no way of knowing how far you blood sugar has risen, you only know what it has risen to. This can be very useful information; lets say you are going to eat a sandwich. I you only check your blood 1 and 2 hours later you may find out that your blood sugar has risen to 7 and then 8, but you don't know what it has risen from. If you test just before the sandwich then 2 hours later and get readings of 5 and 8, you know that your blood sugar has risen by 3. This would indicate that something in your sandwich caused a spike of 3 in your blood sugar (anything more than 2 is considered a spike). Hope this makes sense.

Grooveyjulie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
The general consensus seems to be, test just before a meal, then test again two hours after a meal. If you don't test just before a meal you have no way of knowing how far you blood sugar has risen, you only know what it has risen to. This can be very useful information; lets say you are going to eat a sandwich. I you only check your blood 1 and 2 hours later you may find out that your blood sugar has risen to 7 and then 8, but you don't know what it has risen from. If you test just before the sandwich then 2 hours later and get readings of 5 and 8, you know that your blood sugar has risen by 3. This would indicate that something in your sandwich caused a spike of 3 in your blood sugar (anything more than 2 is considered a spike). Hope this makes sense.
Thank you Martin yes it does i will do it that way from now on.

Grooveyjulie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

Grooveyjulie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
..... and 5.1 again today. Things have certainly settled down this last couple of weeks!