pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

tanja31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Mein nüchtern Blutzuckerwert war heute früh 6,2mmol und beim Frühstück 7,2 mmol.

Manxfx

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was diagnosed Prediabetic on 23 November , with HbA1c level 42 mmol, but note attached, "see accurx result suggests impaired glucose tolerance" ? Am already on Intermittent Fasting Zoe Study, and following GlucoseGoddess , Jessie Inchauspe, spike hacks , 2 weeks. Yesterday fasting 4.1, today 4.3 , 2 hours after meals , 7.3 and 6.3 ? Seems good ?

Mick.G

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been told i'm pre-diabetic,, what does the "fasting" entail please? did a test tonight after work not eaten for 5 hours and it was 6.2, after a large meal i was 9.2 {after 2 hours} is this bad? i'm still a bit shocked and could do with some pointers on food especially at work, any advice please, thanks Mick

Claudia 1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been told i'm pre-diabetic,, what does the "fasting" entail please? did a test tonight after work not eaten for 5 hours and it was 6.2, after a large meal i was 9.2 {after 2 hours} is this bad? i'm still a bit shocked and could do with some pointers on food especially at work, any advice please, thanks Mick
Just try to eat protein and salad or vegetables if you want to be safe. Instead of a small serve of protein like meat, eat heaps. And go for family sized salads .
These are my safe meals, I’ll tell you my work lunch later.
Steak and salad , or chicken and salad , tuna and salad, fish and salad , eggs and salad.
Same as above but with vegetables that are NOT starchy ( avoid potatoes, peas, carrots, pumpkin) . I am talking about safe meals here. It’s not like you can’t ever have anything again but it will cause a spike if you eat carbohydrates.
Snacks : nuts, nuts, nuts cheese, olives, slices of meat,
fruit: quarter apple, 2 grapes. ( fruit spikes blood sugar)
A life saver for me has been finding bread that has 3gram carbohydrates per serve instead of 30 grams.
Another life saver for me is to use a low carb protein powder, nuts , seeds, tablespoon of bran or oats , plain yoghurt, and a small half apple or some berries, to make a cereal bowl before I go for some exercise. The key to beating hunger is to load up on protein and fibre ( vegetables) and fat, preferably the good fats like nuts and avocado but hey a block of cheese if you are feeling that you need food. If you are hungry an hour after a meal, do a workout or walk: my experience is that it’s a high blood sugar hunger and fatigue thing.
Try to have two hour gaps between eating. You can check your blood two hours after a meal to see how the meal worked on your blood sugar and learn from that. You’ll get a list of safe meals that way.
Buy some diet jelly, and low carb ice cream. Make almond flour biscuits or cakes with sweetener.
This is just my story and journey in the last few months.
Work food
High Protein / low carbohydrates shake with veg or quarter banana or both. Low carb but sipped over the day not gulped in one go! It helps me on days when I feel like I need to boost my energy like being on a drip
Salad box or leftover vegetables ( not starchy) with tablespoons of hummus or half cup cottage cheese pieces . A multigrain cracker .
Schnitzel
Chicken
Nut bags
Low carb bread ( hard to find)

For dishes that need pasta or rice I use as a substitute shredded cabbage or konjac noodles.
For pizza I make a keto pizza base. Pizza is very important to me :)
I like cauliflower cheese , can add boiled eggs. Skip the pasta.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A fasting blood glucose reading is best done about 30 minutes after getting out of bed before any food.
If you do it any earlier it may be distorted by dawn phenomenon. This is when your liver gives you a boost of glucose to get you up.

Claudia 1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A fasting blood glucose reading is best done about 30 minutes after getting out of bed before any food.
If you do it any earlier it may be distorted by dawn phenomenon. This is when your liver gives you a boost of glucose to get you up.
Thanks . I have measuring it on waking and will try this. I keep getting 6.8 so I’d be happy to see it lower

Mick.G

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just try to eat protein and salad or vegetables if you want to be safe. Instead of a small serve of protein like meat, eat heaps. And go for family sized salads .
Steak and salad , or chicken and salad , tuna and salad, fish and salad , eggs and salad.
Same as above but with vegetables that are NOT starchy ( avoid potatoes, peas, carrots, pumpkin) . I am talking about safe meals here. It’s not like you can’t ever have anything again but it will cause a spike if you eat carbohydrates.
A life saver for me has been finding bread that has 3gram carbohydrates per serve instead of 30 grams.
Another life saver for me is to use a low carb protein powder, nuts , seeds, tablespoon of bran or oats , plain yoghurt, and a small half apple or some berries, to make a cereal bowl before I go for some exercise. The key to beating hunger is to load up on protein and fibre ( vegetables) and fat, preferably the good fats like nuts and avocado but hey a block of cheese if you are feeling that you need food. If you are hungry an hour after a meal, do a workout or walk: my experience is that it’s a high blood sugar hunger and fatigue thing.
Try to have two hour gaps between eating. You can check your blood two hours after a meal to see how the meal worked on your blood sugar and learn from that. You’ll get a list of safe meals that way.
Buy some diet jelly, and low carb ice cream. Make almond flour biscuits or cakes with sweetener.
Work food
High Protein / low carbohydrates shake with veg or quarter banana or both. Low carb but sipped over the day not gulped in one go! It helps me on days when I feel like I need to boost my energy like being on a drip
Salad box or leftover vegetables ( not starchy) with tablespoons of hummus or half cup cottage cheese pieces . A multigrain cracker .
Schnitzel
Chicken
Nut bags

For dishes that need pasta or rice I use as a substitute shredded cabbage or konjac noodles.
Wow Claudia, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that out, plenty to mull over and it gives me hope that i can still enjoy food and help matters and hopefully still do the work i still need to do....Thankyou

Kazy B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is my reading higher in morning before I eat or drink anything. It ranges from 7-8.5 then drops to 6+ within 2 hours of eating and 5+ two hours plus after eating. How long does the effect of eating a carb supper the night before (10hours gap) have on blood glucose levels ?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why is my reading higher in morning before I eat or drink anything. It ranges from 7-8.5 then drops to 6+ within 2 hours of eating and 5+ two hours plus after eating. How long does the effect of eating a carb supper the night before (10hours gap) have on blood glucose levels ?
It may be something called dawn phenomenon. Which is a natural way of getting you the energy you need to get out of bed. It comes from your liver and the posh name is glucogenisis. It also occurs when energy is needed when exercising.
It is usually the first three to four hours that (depending on how much carb) your levels drop to where the pre meal or fasting test was. Ten hours after should not have a great bearing on your glucose levels unless there is another reason for it, other than dawn phenomenon for a type two or prediabetics.

Reactions: PapaSanHawaii

finzi1966

A benefit of using a CGM such as Freestyle Libre is seeing that the effect of supper the night before is not really an issue ten hours later, at least for me. My levels will be back to normal within a couple of hours of supper (maybe three hours if it was a higher carb meal) and then remain broadly the same until just before I wake the next morning, when they rise. They don’t rise as much as they used to (these days I’m around 5.5 through the night and around 5.8 on waking, it used to be more in the late sixes/early sevens). Getting up dressed and taking the dog for a walk (all before eating anything) usually gets it to around 7, where it stays until it drops around 90 mins after I’ve had breakfast.

So although everyone is obviously different it’s probably not that your sugars are staying high all night from supper the night before (unless of course you stay raised for 10 hours every time you eat!). It’s likely that they go down a few hours after eating like they do with every other meal, but then rise again first thing in the morning because of dawn phenomenon.

(This is assuming you’re Type 2. I think Type 1’s can potentially have blood sugars that fluctuate much more wildly than this).

NostalgicNeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
5.3 at 18:30. I had no breakfast, a banana at 11:15 and a tin of tuna at 1:30 and then nothing till 19:00. Is that classed as fasting?

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why avoid pumpkin? It's not generally considered high in carbs as far as I know. 100g of pumpkin has about 6-6.5 g of carbs which is normally considered low unless you eat big amounts of it (like an entire pumpkin). Carrots are also only about 6 grams of carbs per 100g

Delia W

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Work food
Schnitzel
Chicken
Nut bags

Thank you for sharing:)