Rather new here and not english...

olafur

Hello, my name is Olafur born on March 4th, 1955 and I´m Icelandic. I´ve been reading this site for some months and I like what I see (read)
I´ve been fighting diabetes 2 now for about 16 yrs and it´s getting worse and worse. In my last visit to my diabetes doctor,
he just looked at me and said " Sorry Olafur but there´s nothing we can do for you" Do you think this was the right thing to say?
Well,
as I said I´m an Icelander born in Iceland and brought up there. To start with I learned a trade, carpenter and cupboard maker then later on computers interested me so I studied math and then computer science.
I don´t live in Iceland, I live in Spain and stay there 7-8 months every year but the rest of the year I go to Iceland and work there as a driver-guide. Driving small buses up to 2o passengers/tourists and guide at the same time.
This is it for now, later!

Reactions: Juicyj and Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, my name is Olafur born on March 4th, 1955 and I´m Icelandic. I´ve been reading this site for some months and I like what I see (read)
I´ve been fighting diabetes 2 now for about 16 yrs and it´s getting worse and worse. In my last visit to my diabetes doctor,
he just looked at me and said " Sorry Olafur but there´s nothing we can do for you" Do you think this was the right thing to say?
Well,
as I said I´m an Icelander born in Iceland and brought up there. To start with I learned a trade, carpenter and cupboard maker then later on computers interested me so I studied math and then computer science.
I don´t live in Iceland, I live in Spain and stay there 7-8 months every year but the rest of the year I go to Iceland and work there as a driver-guide. Driving small buses up to 2o passengers/tourists and guide at the same time.
Hello @olafur ,

Another non-Briton here, welcome! Was your doctor right? Probably. There's nothing he can do for you. Good thing there's LOADS you can do yourself! I am already looking forward to your next appointment, where your doc won't believe what your testresults look like now. ;) Seriously, all kidding aside... There are things you can do to tackle your T2, if you're willing to change your diet some. No need to buy into expensive programmes or "diabetes friendly" groceries, just regular food. (Maybe even a little bit of Skyr, though full fat Greek yoghurt would be better.) Have a read here, see whether that resonates with you, whether it's something you can work with... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

There's hope for you yet, don't give up!
Jo

Reactions: Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I´ve been fighting diabetes 2 now for about 16 yrs and it´s getting worse and worse
That sounds really upsetting. Would you like to say more about how much worse (tests you have had) and your methods of fighting? That would make it easier for people to make constructive suggestions.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @olafur :)

Sorry to hear of your experience with your doctor, that's not helpful at all, particularly when so much can be done. As already suggested please tell us more about your diabetes, results, and any treatment you are taking and hopefully you'll get much more support with your situation.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you are a typical T2 with a bit of excess weight then the right low-carb diet should help a lot. Just keep all carbs down and have enough fats, proteins, veg and non-tropical fruit to keep you feeling full. Most GPs would also prescribe Metformin which helps just a little bit. If you are in fact slim then being T1 is always possible and there are some tests for than. Your Doc was silly saying there was nothing to be done as he's just wrong.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

There is a lot off information around on this site. I agree with the previous posters. There is something you can do for yourself. Read around here, test your levels regularly and learn what effect different foods have on your levels. The more information you have the better decisions you can make.

You are around people with expertise and empathy here- it is a good place to learn and to receive support.

Reactions: Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
on my last visit to my diabetes doctor,
he just looked at me and said " Sorry Olafur but there´s nothing we can do for you"

welcome @olafur

How awful.

your doc..old school thinking, gives old school results.
keep telling patients to continue eating the very things they are allergic to, and
the expectation it's a 'progressive' illness, always come true, sadly

there are new waves of thinking that offer much, much more.
plenty of us ion here, try different ways to keep a tighter rein on our T2D.

if it's just t2d, then here will be of enormous benefits, if your willing to ignore the old ways and amend your diet.
and if like many you have other issues, on here also offers much to benefit you, as well.

see the testimonials and success story threads.
many, many ..myself included, have taken this new path and are bucking the progressive trend.that the old school,
seem to think inevitable.

i hope your time on here, gives you the better control the doctor SHOULD have been offering you.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Well,

Hi Olafur, I too am a long time T2D like yourself. Also I was recently seeing increasing HbA1c tests and morning BG tests. 21 months ago I started to abstain from eating meat. You can see my post "Newbie to forum tho long time T2D" to read of the changes and benefits I've had abstaining from meat.

Have you had a test for vitamin B12? B12 deficiency is a known side effect of long time Metformin use. It also gives false HbA1c test results.

Have you had a test for uric acid? Over 70% of T2Ds have gout.

Do you take statins? They have a side effect of increasing BGs.

Good luck.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Olafur, I too am a long time T2D like yourself. Also I was recently seeing increasing HbA1c tests and morning BG tests. 21 months ago I started to abstain from eating meat. You can see my post "Newbie to forum tho long time T2D" to read of the changes and benefits I've had abstaining from meat.

Have you had a test for vitamin B12? B12 deficiency is a known side effect of long time Metformin use. It also gives false HbA1c test results.

Have you had a test for uric acid? Over 70% of T2Ds have gout.

Do you take statins? They have a side effect of increasing BGs.

Good luck.

Hello there TwoTone - Do you have a link to help me understand your statement that 70% of those living with T2 also have gout? There's no doubt I have seen several posts from members who do indeed have gout, but 70% is quite a bit higher than I would have guessed.

Every day's a school day in my world. :)

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Hello there TwoTone - Do you have a link to help me understand your statement that 70% of those living with T2 also have gout? There's no doubt I have seen several posts from members who do indeed have gout, but 70% is quite a bit higher than I would have guessed.

Hi DCUKMod, apologies for slow response but I try not to spend too much time on forums - T2D is too time consuming as it is!!

Actually I must also apologize for mis-quoting a statement. It is actually T2Ds have a 70% chance of getting gout. That is still a high probability but a stat I mis-used as I fell in to the trap of using it as it fits the thoughts I'm having about how insulin resistance occurs.

Interestingly, after reducing Metformin meds last week by 500gms per day, my BGs have normalized after 2 or 3 days of being a little "uppish".

Cheers.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DCUKMod An illuminating article here on the link between diabetes and gout:
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/the-link-between-diabetes-and-gout#1
Could the following quote from this article be the source of the statistic @TwoTone was citing?
"A 2014 study in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases found the gout-diabetes connection was especially strong in women. Researchers said that women with gout were 71% more likely to get diabetes than women without it."
Of course this stands TwoTone's statement on its head. Also "71% more likely to get" is not the same as "70% living with".