Reading this forum is very frustrating

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BGs are nicely under control and I gain satisfaction from being well organized, but I am acutely aware that my life and health are a great deal more straightforward than others'.

Quite. Always charitable to remember that saying "there but for the grace of God go I".

Well even if that does make my glass half full, I'll at least have a top up.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A positive attitude makes all of life easier but the reality is that we all react differently to what life throws at us. Some find it easier than others to brush themselves off and forge ahead. If what you call moaning helps people in any way to come to grips with diabetes then there is a place for it. We all view the world through our own filter but it is worth bearing in mind that the complex paths we walk through our lives colour every decision and reaction we have. I am a firm believer in having a positive can-do attitude but for those who don't it strikes me as judgemental and unfair to criticise. We all need support whatever our outlook on life, "No man is an island"

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 7 people

equipoise

The forum is useful for exploring alternatives and ideas. When I moved from Humlin M3 to Basal/Bolus I found it very useful. However, the growing negativity in forums is not needed. For example, trying to find ways to use diabetes as means not to work is immoral.

Hang on, I thought you said the problem was people who declare their diabetes 'on a job interview to try and increase the chance of being selected due to the Equality Act'. Make your mind up -- are people immorally exploiting diabetes to get jobs, or to not get jobs? Or is this just a Daily Mail leader complaining about 'scroungers'?

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The forum is useful for exploring alternatives and ideas. When I moved from Humlin M3 to Basal/Bolus I found it very useful. However, the growing negativity in forums is not needed. For example, trying to find ways to use diabetes as means not to work is immoral.
Again, I agree. However, very few posts like that. Also the posts who have been offered lots of advice and continue to eat donuts and drink beer ! Very annoying, but the majority of posts are genuinely offering or asking for advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I want to see more positive success stories on these forums. Who is with me......

Well if you've been reading the forum as you say do you will already know that the forum is full of positive post and success stories, however they'll always be people who struggle to cope (with or without diabetes) and it's not our place to think bad of them as we do not always see the full picture.

The whole ethos of this forum has always been to offer support and advice to anyone who joins, if you don't like reading threads where members are having problems then you do have a choice not to read them, just remember what Jesse Jackson famously once said:

“Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.”

Reactions: 9 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You only have to look on the latest post on the benefits section to see people want to use their diabetes not to work, that is immoral. With regards to the Equality Act people should be selected on their skills not because they have diabetes. I would never use my diabetes as means to either get benefits or a job. Equipoise, it is people like you who give our community a damaged image, you must be a guardianista.
Don't look at the benefits section then. I only look at "latest posts" and get a good mix of threads.

equipoise

You only have to look on the latest post on the benefits section (Can I claim any beneifts) to see people want to use their diabetes not to work, that is immoral. With regards to the Equality Act people should be selected on their skills not because they have diabetes. I would never use my diabetes as means to either get benefits or a job. Equipoise, it is people like you who give our community a damaged image, you must be a guardianista.
I don't read The Guardian. I don't vote Labour. I'm not a vegetarian. I'm not anti-American. (just trying to guess how many ways you are trying to typecast me) I have also not said that people should use their diabetes either to get a job or not get one. I applaud the success that you have made of living with diabetes, and would urge you to post more about how you have done it. But I would suggest that on this thread your posts are all about your broader socio-political attitudes, and actually have little or nothing to do with diabetes itself.

Reactions: 12 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It isn't just the benefits section. One of the most recent posts in the discussion section is labelled - Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes and JSA.
And here's another one, "confused and scared".
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/Confused-and-scared-and-crying-a-bit.51121/
I'm not disagreeing with you about everything. I'm just saying don't tar everyone with the same brush. Some people just want advice and are struggling :)

C

catherinecherub

You only have to look on the latest post on the benefits section (Can I claim any beneifts) to see people want to use their diabetes not to work, that is immoral. With regards to the Equality Act people should be selected on their skills not because they have diabetes. I would never use my diabetes as means to either get benefits or a job. Equipoise, it is people like you who give our community a damaged image, you must be a guardianista.

Ad homenim attacks do nothing to help your postings

Do you really think that ad hominem rants are going to improve your kudos?

People have different levels of coping skills. These can be influenced by many things and can include childhood experiences, social deprivation, traumas etc........
We would all like to see everyone coping well with their diabetes but it is not possible, it is called human behaviour.
As for people experiencing other health problems, some have had health problems not related to diabetes since birth. They have to be able to manage both and cannot give one a precedence over the other.

IMHO you are being too hard on your fellow diabetics and do not seem to have any compassion for anybody who does not cope as well as you do.

I would also like to ask why your signature appears and disappears and what relationship it has with diabetes?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi Monkeynuts

What method of dietary control do you use in conjunction with insulin for diabetic control?

Best

Paul

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have a problem with the type of posts you've highlighted, but neither do I think they're always as they might at first appear, and you might be posting rather differently if fate (in the guise of your body chemistry) had been just a little more unkind.

Given that this condition doesn't always follow set rules (at least that we know of, as yet), it isn't always a case of: "If I do this right, it'll lead to that improvement". Frustration and disappointment can then follow and that, coupled with the complications that can occur whatever you do right, might suggest to the uninformed that the sufferer isn't trying hard enough or is wallowing in a self-induced condition, aka enjoying 'a good moan'.

On the other hand, you don't have to read all the post that appear on here .....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i havent a clue what your talking about Monkey, all i see is people searching for answers and people that have been lucky enough to have the strength like yourself to gain the control everyone would like to have, all your post is showing is an intolerance to the less strong, i cant imagine what folks thinking about posting for the first time and struggling to get control are thinking about this, its easy for you, great! but dont look down on the less fortunate people that struggle every step of the way, im sure most have had far too many kicks up the bum in the real world, if you think you havent been lucky your wrong, i agree occasionally someone wont listen to good advice but we have to take those folks with a pinch of salt and get on with helping folks that do listen and make the changes, i cant remember the last time i saw a post from you and now you come here to moan about the moaners

oops missed the second page when i posted this, id better read it quick lol

Reactions: 13 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you consider your post supportive and inspiring? lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you think we should say get of your a*** an get on with it? thats inspiring for sure, that may work for you but im sure many folks that now know alot more about their condition would have slammed the lid shut after their first read of the forum had they encountered that response, there are ways of talking to people and that aint it, fair enough on occasion a kick up the bum may be the last resort but thats rare

Reactions: 8 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
well i wasnt inspired, so your approach obviously hasnt worked for all

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just have a look at the exercise section for positive stories, in the first few threads you have people successfully talking their first few 'steps', someone who went from nothing to the London to Brighton cycle ride, someone who got a bronze medal for indoor rowing and another who went from couch potato to half marathon distance.
Another thing to bear in mind is that many of the regular posters may also have success stories, they don't keep repeating their stories though.

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
theres no such thing as luck? lol what a ridiculous statement, the kids that get cancer or diabetes at 4 years old werent unlucky?

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I make a request to everyone to do as monkeynuts suggests and "inspire and support".

Please stop giving him so much attention and get on with what you valuably do best.
I'm sure everyone looking for help and support on the Forum gets that from the members who give their best advice and hard-won knowledge. Everyone has their own way of presenting their support and knowledge and there are different points of view, but you're all offering positive help to the best of your ability. Your intentions are the best and there's a wealth of wisdom here.

Please stop wasting time on attention seeking people who seem to want to distract you from your purpose and value.

Why not just continue with what most of you do so well? I, for one, really appreciate contributions of others even if I don't always agree with them. I'm upset to see someone distracting you all, and I'm always immediately put off by someone who lists a string of letters after their name.

I'd never have written this post if I hadn't started on the red wine a bit early tonight (and not stopped after the usual single glass)!

Jane.

Reactions: 18 people