Regular moderate exercise log

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Off to Pilates shortly after a week’s absence. A bit easier on the walking today - trying to learn from previous setbacks - currently at 10,182. Walk to and from Pilates should add another couple of thousand or so.

Thunderstorm just started here. Not expected at all.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chest day Monday (no swim) and flat dumbbell pressing worked up in 2kg increases from the 30kg bells x 12reps to the 38kgs x 2reps, which was disappointing as I'd hoped to lift the 40kgs but hey ho, 3 sets of 60kg bench press I'm imagining johnpol smirking at my small bench weight :p but I had a sweat on by then, 3 sets of incline flys to 24kg and 3 sets of pull overs with a 40kg bell, warm up was 5 mins on a rower and 3 sets x 60 reps sit ups, with some stretching and curls to loosen up.

Chicken in shitto sauce ( 3 portions worth in 5 breasts again) simmering in the pan with some brown basmati rice chilling out in the fridge, bowt 100g carbs and 5.5 units Humalog pre bolused 10 minutes back.

Living the dream :p

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. I had a little taster day for the kind of day I think might be useful once I can put all the pieces of my jigsaw puzzle together. All very moderate in many ways so lets see how bg and body react tomorrow and Wednesday.
35 mins moderate on exercise bike with some sprints but not max
Set of 5 low impact moves to strengthen core and lower back - couldn’t do side plank!
Machine for : Seated shoulder presses; Pectoral Fly; Wide lat pull down; High pulley; Ab crunch Very low weight 4 x 20 reps
Dog walk 45 mins
Will end up with about 12K steps.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Machine for : Seated shoulder presses;.

Can I be cheeky and suggest being careful with the seated press, if you try to lift 'too much' your back will come away from the back rest and the poor form 'can' jerk your back.

Reactions: flexi06

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fairly active day but still didn’t shift bs out of high 6s all day.
20 mins moderate static cycling first thing.
Dog walk etc totals around 14k steps in all.
Gardening this afternoon, only about 1/2 hr hard work though.
1 hr yoga this evening.

@Goonergal hope your shins are getting better, when will you know the results of your tests?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer to use dumbells for the shoulder press, and do it standing, thus giving myself a core workout at the same time.
I also prefer to do the lat pulldown standing, but this is not always possible, depending on the relative heights of user and machine. For the future, when I have built up my strength again after a patchy winter, I am very interested in doing one-sided lifts, as they are said to make the core work even harder.

Reactions: flexi06

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fairly active day but still didn’t shift bs out of high 6s all day.

Exercise always puts my sugars up. Usually come down later in the day, but if you’ve been active all day that might be why they haven’t come down. Bet your fasting number will be good in the morning.

@Goonergal hope your shins are getting better, when will you know the results of your tests?

Thanks for asking. Haven’t had tests for the shins yet - see the musculoskeletal people in the morning. Recent tests were for another issue and should get results on Wednesday morning.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin might help prevent that, as it is supposed to stop the liver dumping glucose into the blood stream to "help" with exercise.

Thanks, but I don’t see it as a problem. The rise is short lived and combined diet/exercise is steadily reducing my BG levels. For me the benefits of exercise are related to wider issues around strength and fitness.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking. Haven’t had tests for the shins yet - see the musculoskeletal people in the morning. Recent tests were for another issue and should get results on Wednesday morning.

Hope all goes well in the morning and they can get to the cause of the problem.

Reactions: flexi06 and kev-w

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, but I don’t see it as a problem. The rise is short lived and combined diet/exercise is steadily reducing my BG levels. For me the benefits of exercise are related to wider issues around strength and fitness.
Yes, maybe the rise is just what would happen in a "normal" person when they start to exercise. I don't exercise principally for my bg either. In any case, exercise seems to make no short term difference to my bg for good or bad. I am passionate about the more general benefits of exercise, so I feel very sad for the people who are deterred from doing it, for whatever reason.

Reactions: flexi06 and ickihun

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning u active lot only 14,750 yesterday seeing doc about these “energy” and “Knees” problems on Wednesday- cross your fit and nimble fingers for me. Will try to get more steps in today but boyf is off work sick- nothing serious- so will be pampering him indoors - might be hard to get lots in. See u all tomorrow x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning u active lot only 14,750 yesterday seeing doc about these “energy” and “Knees” problems on Wednesday- cross your fit and nimble fingers for me. Will try to get more steps in today but boyf is off work sick- nothing serious- so will be pampering him indoors - might be hard to get lots in. See u all tomorrow x

I’ll be crossing them for you. ( the only fit and nimble part of me!)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking in with quick update.

@flexi06 @ianpspurs @DJC3 thanks for all the good wishes. Had my musculoskeletal appointment today. X-rays on the spot which were all clear. He’s ordered MRI scans but will be a bit of a wait, however thinks unlikely to be a stress fracture or anything else serious. Ordered to take things gently and be guided by pain. Doc was interested in weight loss - approved of Ketogenic diet so all positive.

To stay on topic, shins were a bit sore today so aside from a gentle 45 minute walk to the hospital, haven’t done anything else.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking in with quick update.

X-rays on the spot which were all clear. He’s ordered MRI scans but will be a bit of a wait, however thinks unlikely to be a stress fracture or anything else serious. Ordered to take things gently and be guided by pain. Doc was interested in weight loss - approved of Ketogenic diet so all positive.
That all sounds very positive even if no "closure". Listen to the Doc :angelic:

Reactions: kev-w

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh @Goonergal I am pleased with that positive news.
I only managed 12,900 today, been pretty tired today and without the structure of work I tend to give in to the fatigue. Ah well it’s another day tomorrow x

Reactions: ianpspurs and kev-w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back day Tuesday :) abs & triceps for a warm up, wide grip chins x 4 sets, deadlifts x 4 sets (to 110kg x4) one arm rows x 4 sets and close grip pull downs x 4 sets on a machine, ran too late to swim.

@Goonergal not a bit of the old shin splints is it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

Probably, but been going on for 9 months and everyone I’ve seen is baffled as to why walking - I can’t run due to arthritic knee - should be causing so many problems.