Reversing Type 2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you can get yourself into remission, which isn't quite the same as reversing it in my opinion. It takes effort though, and the right sort of diet.

D

Deleted member 308541

If you have a high AC1 can you still try to reverse Type 2 Diabetes successfully
Yes you can, but I do not use the word reverse though, I use "Under excellent control"

From 58.4 to 34 mmol/mol over a period of a couple of years, on a moderate LCHF diet

vpLIKmx.jpg

Caprock94

Go LCHF diet right away. It can be done! As for reversed, remission, controlled.....call it whatever you like. Plenty of differing opinions.

I don't know for sure if LCHF diet will keep you in good range long term, although it seems more and more people are proving that. I do know that you will find tons of people here who quickly got control of their numbers with LCHF diets.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Similar to me on diagnosis (98). And I recently got my first non Diabetic HbA1c. It can be done.

Edit to add.

I've just realised that I should have said that, fingers crossed, I am well on my way to to Remission. I'm not there yet.

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very high 97, but I guess this can vary

I was 88 and managed to get to non-diabetic 32 in less than three months.

So yes it is possible, although whether you choose to call it reversal, remission, well controlled or still having T2D is entirely a personal matter.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I think I can safely say that going low carb does the job really well from the 100’s to ‘remission’ in a few months. It’s all highly individualistic however, everyone is different.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a high AC1 can you still try to reverse Type 2 Diabetes successfully
Yes. A lot of us here have gotten back into non diabetic levels though a low carb, high fat diet. It's more of a lifestyle change than a diet really, because you'll need to stick with it permanently. But it is quite doable. Are you on any medication that can give you hypo's though? Because lchf will make your bloodsugars drop fast, and if you're on gliclazide or insulin for instance, you will go hypo. (Won't happen on metformin though). Do you have a meter?

In any case, breathe. It's going to be okay. I thought I was going to kick the bucket at diagnosis, and now I'm healthier than I've been in decades. (I'm 40). You'll learn a lot in the time to come, and it'll help you get back to good.

Reactions: lcarter

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
It can be done, as many on here prove. Sending you hugs x

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
If you want change you have to make change. Change does not come to us we have to go to it.
Go to it/for it, and in a big way, if you want big results, Cheat in little, lower your BG a little!
Be half hearted in your efforts to go Low Carb and your BG will follow suit.

Low Carb worked for me and so many here... However it needs to become a way of life... forever, if you wish to remain in 'the normal' range. (This is aimed at Type 2 folk btw. I should have mentioned this at the outset.)

Po

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes, I believe possible for most Type 2's to either get remission or close. I started at 134 now 35.5 or 5.4%.

If I were starting again I would go straight to Keto version of LCHF with walking after every meal and mainly leg based resistance training.

I would obtain by eating to my meter a safe list of meals and rotate these. Then I would tweak towards protein and more resistance training if going down a sportier route or mixed walking speeds alternatively.