Scared of high BS resultstoday

Halfhybrid

I used my BS kit for the first time in months today and was terrified when, 2 hours after breakfast (2 slices of 50/50 bread with pate and 2 cups of coffee with milk and a little sugar), the result was 23.3.
Waited an hour or so before having something for lunch (2 fillets of smoked mackerel). Have eaten nothing since and drunk nothing except sparkling water and just tested again and it's at 16.2 which is still really high!

I daren't eat anything this evening though I have a piece of chicken and salad I was planning to have.

I came back from a not great holiday recently, in which I was quite stressed a lot of the time. Food intake was fine and didn't overdo carbs but I did drink masses of lager every day, continuously through the day and evening (masses of water as well). To cap the end of an (Im)perfect holiday, I slipped on a slimey rock by the sea and landed on my tailbone which has been bruised and painful ever since.

Have I now damaged my pancreas and made the diabetes worse? Why isn't the BS level going down?

• Hug
Reactions: sue512 and jjraak

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It could be that the stress of your disappointing holiday and the pain of your back injury is causing higher than normal levels.
Another thought that occurred to me is, as its been a long time since you used your meter, can you be certain that it's in good working order and are the test strips in date.
Having said that though, a slice of 50/50 bread has over 18g of carbs, sugar in your coffee, the larger, I think your diet could be the main problem

Halfhybrid

It could be that the stress of your disappointing holiday and the pain of your back injury is causing higher than normal levels.
Another thought that occurred to me is, as its been a long time since you used your meter, can you be certain that it's in good working order and are the test strips in date.
Having said that though, a slice of 50/50 bread has over 18g of carbs, sugar in your coffee, the larger, I think your diet could be the main problem
Hi, thanks for your response. There is such a lot information about diabetes that is unclear to me. You mention pain can cause higher than normal levels but how much higher could it go? The same with stress.

You have a point about the meter. It has the same battery in it as when I bought it three years ago. I'll try a new one and look at the dates on the strips.

I thought the 50/50 bread was "as good" as wholemeal in terms of carbs but it looks as though I was wrong. What I don't understand however is how it has taken most of the day for the BS level to only go down a little bit.

Is it actually possible to damage your pancreas permanently with a few days bingeing on lager or occasions like Christmas when you might indulge more than you should? Do such things have a permanent, cumulative effect?

Still so much in the dark about this condition and scared. I've never had such a high BS result before.

Reactions: jjraak

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Is it actually possible to damage your pancreas permanently with a few days bingeing

With T2 our pancreas usually work just fine, our problem is insulin resistance.
Although it is possible that after years of working overtime trying to produce buckets of insulin to cope with all the carbs we eat, our pancreas can sort of burn out. But I would think that's unlikely after a few days of excessive carbs.
It's more likely that you have become even more resistant to your insulin.
More carbs = more insulin, more insulin = greater resistance.
Think of it like alcohol, if you don't drink regularly, 1 drink will get you tipsy. If you drink everyday 1 beer will have no effect, you could say you have become resistant to the alcohol.

good" as wholemeal
Carbohydrates when digested turn to glucose, white, brown, wholemeal, sourdough. Your body just sees the carbs, wholemeal will take a little longer to digest but the glucose will still get into your blood

Halfhybrid

Thanks. When you say I may have become even more resistant to my insulin, does that mean it isn't going to be possible to control the diabetes with diet alone any more or even reverse it? I have not been on any diabetes meds before and always thought that once you start taking it, you are on it for life.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and filly

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Thanks. When you say I may have become even more resistant to my insulin, does that mean it isn't going to be possible to control the diabetes with diet alone any more or even reverse it? I have not been on any diabetes meds before and always thought that once you start taking it, you are on it for life.
The forum is full of people who have managed to reduce or completely stop their medication.
You are not alone in thinking T2 is progressive and will require more/ stronger medication as time passes. Many Dr's and health care providers still have the same outdated view, but modern research and the members of this forum have proved that if you are willing to change what you eat, it is entirely possible to avoid medication and many of the complications that are associated with T2.
Understanding the problem is the key to success.
Our pancreas and insulin production is usually working as it should, but our insulin has become less effective. This means that when we eat carbs our insulin has trouble dealing with the resulting glucose, our blood sugar level remains higher than it should, so our poor pancreas is forced to release even more insulin.
Usually, before our levels are back to where they should be we get hungry and eat again, most of the energy (glucose) from our carby meal is still circulating in our blood.

High carb = more glucose, higher blood levels, more insulin, worsening insulin resistance, progressive T2, more meds and possible complications.

Low carb = less glucose, lower blood levels, less insulin, improving insulin resistance, less meds and complications, possible remission.

Of the three macronutrient - protein, fat and carbohydrates, protein and fat are essential, you will die without them.
We can live quite happily without carbohydrates, what little glucose our bodies need can be manufactured through a process called gluconeogenesis

If you base your meals around protein, healthy fats, above ground veg, salads and low carb fruit you will be giving yourself the best chance of a complication and med free future.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I used my BS kit for the first time in months today and was terrified when, 2 hours after breakfast (2 slices of 50/50 bread with pate and 2 cups of coffee with milk and a little sugar), the result was 23.3.
Waited an hour or so before having something for lunch (2 fillets of smoked mackerel). Have eaten nothing since and drunk nothing except sparkling water and just tested again and it's at 16.2 which is still really high!

I daren't eat anything this evening though I have a piece of chicken and salad I was planning to have.

I came back from a not great holiday recently, in which I was quite stressed a lot of the time. Food intake was fine and didn't overdo carbs but I did drink masses of lager every day, continuously through the day and evening (masses of water as well). To cap the end of an (Im)perfect holiday, I slipped on a slimey rock by the sea and landed on my tailbone which has been bruised and painful ever since.

Have I now damaged my pancreas and made the diabetes worse? Why isn't the BS level going down?
Drinking lager (I assume it was normal alcoholic lager) would mean you were loading up on both alcohol and carbohydrates. That's an easy way to fall off the waggon. Both alcohol and excess carbs tend to cause fatty liver and insulin resistance.
You reap what you sow, unfortunately.

DaddyBaggio

Some people have eluded already in their responses. No matter the type of bread, pasta, rice etc. It understanding the difference between Glucose load (how much carbs) and the glucose release in to the blood (how fast the bang is). White and Wholemeal might have similar loads, but the wholemeal will be released over a longer period... But it's all Carbs going in. So you might not see a quick spike, but you might be on to the next meal/ snack and the previous one is still releasing carbs. So you still have to curb the portion sizes. Which is a nightmare for Carb junkies like me... I love a stodgy dinner, loads of roast potatoes and crusty posh bread... I'm hungry now

Halfhybrid

Thanks everybody for your responses. I have felt very alone in this journey. I have not told my family I have diabetes as their reaction would be too horrific to contemplate. It can be difficult to control carbs when I am with them as they eat normally, including piling their plates with rice, pasta etc. I will have a small portion and tell them I don't want to eat more because it's fattening and they are satisfied with that.
Today, I have had some toast and pate for breakfast, 2 coffees with milk and SWEETENER, 1 cup of tea with milk, no sugar or sweetener. A bit of ham and 2 chunks of cheese for lunch and loads of water. After all that, my BS level at 5.00pm was 16!
I changed the battery on my meter, checked that the strips were in date (they were), so obviously I have a problem and I am terrified why the BS level is not going down even when not being fed with carbs.
I am going to try and speak to a GP or nurse at my surgery tomorrow.
Sitting here on my doughnut shaped cushion worrying myself to death.

valann

Hi Halfhybrid,

You have been given some great advise above and making those changes will pay off but it really isn't an instant thing. My levels were also in double figures when I found this forum and the low carb diet, it took a few days for my numbers to come down into single figures, so give it time. Already you are seeing it slightly lower, another bit of advise given to me is try not to worry too much as worry can put your numbers up as well, so can pain, anxiety etc. Now you've made the decision to do something about your numbers you will get there but as the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" so try to be patient and take comfort in the fact it's coming down slowly.

I would strongly recommend you do tell your family as they can give you support as well as us. Tell them in a gentle way that you are now diabetic but are doing something about it and you can no longer eat so many carbs, they may take it much better than you think. Try Cauliflower rice, it is much nicer than you think and actually I prefer it now and it doesn't put your BG up, as for the pasta, I'm still trying to find a low carb one myself.

You will get there, just take it day by day and keep those carbs down ;) :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes time for our bodies to adjust to lower carbs. Your body has been used to reacting to and anticipating high carb loads. It can take several days, even weeks of consistent low carbing to get down to normal blood sugar levels. You will start to see gradual improvement soon if you low carb. The toast is high carb. This is a marathon, not a sprint. it's a whole new way of life.

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everybody for your responses. I have felt very alone in this journey. I have not told my family I have diabetes as their reaction would be too horrific to contemplate. It can be difficult to control carbs when I am with them as they eat normally, including piling their plates with rice, pasta etc. I will have a small portion and tell them I don't want to eat more because it's fattening and they are satisfied with that.
Today, I have had some toast and pate for breakfast, 2 coffees with milk and SWEETENER, 1 cup of tea with milk, no sugar or sweetener. A bit of ham and 2 chunks of cheese for lunch and loads of water. After all that, my BS level at 5.00pm was 16!
I changed the battery on my meter, checked that the strips were in date (they were), so obviously I have a problem and I am terrified why the BS level is not going down even when not being fed with carbs.
Many others here with far greater knowledge than me may provide helpful guidance here. But my suggestion is that you need to think about timescales here. If you have been building up insulin resistance for a good while then it’s unlikely to resolve just by a day’s worth of low carbs. Give it time and I think you’ll see improvements emerging as you stick to a regimen of carb reduction and “real” food. Do not worry, just take firm control now and be patient, many of us have had these initial frights but got the situation hugely improved quite rapidly.

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And as you see, others have already given the same encouragement in the past few minutes.

Halfhybrid

Hi Halfhybrid,

You have been given some great advise above and making those changes will pay off but it really isn't an instant thing. My levels were also in double figures when I found this forum and the low carb diet, it took a few days for my numbers to come down into single figures, so give it time. Already you are seeing it slightly lower, another bit of advise given to me is try not to worry too much as worry can put your numbers up as well, so can pain, anxiety etc. Now you've made the decision to do something about your numbers you will get there but as the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" so try to be patient and take comfort in the fact it's coming down slowly.

I would strongly recommend you do tell your family as they can give you support as well as us. Tell them in a gentle way that you are now diabetic but are doing something about it and you can no longer eat so many carbs, they may take it much better than you think. Try Cauliflower rice, it is much nicer than you think and actually I prefer it now and it doesn't put your BG up, as for the pasta, I'm still trying to find a low carb one myself.

You will get there, just take it day by day and keep those carbs down ;) :)
Thank you valann. I will try to take it on board.
Unfortunately, telling the family is just not an option. I have an elderly father and two siblings. All of them would have hysterics, play the blame game in a very hurtful way and then tear me apart behind my back with one of them enlightening me about what was said afterwards. My brother in particular would make cruel and hurtful remarks at every opportunity. He already mentions my weight with every breath that concerns me even though he is vastly overweight himself. These are middle aged adults by the way.
Well done with your journey through this - what is it? A condition, a disease.

Halfhybrid

Many others here with far greater knowledge than me may provide helpful guidance here. But my suggestion is that you need to think about timescales here. If you have been building up insulin resistance for a good while then it’s unlikely to resolve just by a day’s worth of low carbs. Give it time and I think you’ll see improvements emerging as you stick to a regimen of carb reduction and “real” food. Do not worry, just take firm control now and be patient, many of us have had these initial frights but got the situation hugely improved quite rapidly.
Thank you for sharing that many people have had these frights but have improved on it.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Unfortunately, telling the family is just not an option. I have an elderly father and two siblings. All of them would have hysterics, play the blame game in a very hurtful way and then tear me apart behind my back with one of them enlightening me about what was said afterwards. My brother in particular would make cruel and hurtful remarks at every opportunity. He already mentions my weight with every breath that concerns me even though he is vastly overweight himself. These are middle aged adults by the way.
I’m sorry your family wouldn’t be supportive. The upside of a low carb high fat diet is that although I’ve been doing it to get my blood sugars down my weight is dropping as well, without trying! You will always find support here, the knowledge and advice from members has been tremendous.

kinza1998

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm concerned my BS level is getting higher. I had been averaging 9.5 to 10 per day. Its increased to 10.5 to 12. Per day. I've recently had my weekly injection of Trulicity changed from 1.5 to 3.00 mgs and started a new statin.
I would appreciate some advise, my diet has not changed I also train at gym 3 times a week 60 to 90 mins per session & swim for 45mins once a week.

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm concerned my BS level is getting higher. I had been averaging 9.5 to 10 per day. Its increased to 10.5 to 12. Per day. I've recently had my weekly injection of Trulicity changed from 1.5 to 3.00 mgs and started a new statin.
I would appreciate some advise, my diet has not changed I also train at gym 3 times a week 60 to 90 mins per session & swim for 45mins once a week.
Some statins raise blood sugar levels.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and Outlier

valann

Hi again Halfhybrid,
I'm sad and sorry to hear your family isn't as supportive for you. Because you don't feel able to explain to them you are now diagnosed diabetic when you have those family meals how about telling them you are going Low Carb to lower your weight? Surly they can't argue or make you feel bad about that especially as they too are overweight, but maybe if you do that they won't push you to eat the rice, pasta etc and maybe they will follow you when they see your weight lower. As has been shown many times with people in this forum the LCHF diet does help lower weight (as it has done for me too) and lower blood test numbers as well, but it really doesn't happen in one day or even one week, but after maybe 3 or 4 weeks you should see a difference not only in your numbers but in your weight. Small losses are the ones that keep the weight off so don't look for huge weight loss straight away.

Also try to remember that stress, anxiety etc also put our numbers up, so try to be calm and patient and enjoy each reduction. We don't judge, we don't criticise but this forum does offer good support for all and if you look around you'll see there is even a section where you can vent as much as you need.

I is very confusing and worrying when first diagnosed but as you can see from your replies you do get used to it once you have made the decision to get those numbers down by changing your lifestyle. It's not easy I agree, but it is doable and you will get used to going without the carbs, plenty of meat, fish chicken, above ground veg, eggs, cheese, full fat yoghurt etc and can have eggs bacon, good sausage for breakfast, eat those type of foods and hunger will be something you don't feel anymore. ;)

Halfhybrid

I’m sorry your family wouldn’t be supportive. The upside of a low carb high fat diet is that although I’ve been doing it to get my blood sugars down my weight is dropping as well, without trying! You will always find support here, the knowledge and advice from members has been tremendous.
That's great news about the weight loss. Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: jjraak and sue512