SD Code Free Strips Batch no. S0318075.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still getting erratic and strange readings with the faulty batch. I do have another meter somewhere, an Accucheck, but no strips, so until I can get some am taking comfort in a better HbA1c result than expected.

Thanks those of you who are doing the comparison testing and reporting. I appreciate your time, effort and expense.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just heard back from HH, they are still awaiting the report from the manufacturer which is expected to arrive tomorrow now. But they did confirm that they don’t have any of the dodgy batch left now, so if anyone is ordering they should get newer batches now.

Reactions: Speedbird

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But the SD from what I remember uses something like the 2012 version for their licence and may not meet the new EU requirements. This may be why the SD is not recognised by the NHS CCG tests and did not get a lookin even though they qualify on meeting their price range completely. The NHS review rejected the SD for NHS use for not meeting the ISO (2015) requirements,

The fact that the Tee2 is now on the approved list of quite a few CCG’s / health ecconomies is one of the reasons Im comfortable using it as my backup meter

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The fact that the Tee2 is now on the approved list of quite a few CCG’s / health ecconomies is one of the reasons Im comfortable using it as my backup meter
Where can I find this approved list please? I have a Caresens Dual which I’ve never used regularly, it’d be good to see if it’s on the list, it might just tip the balance in it’s favour, when the Code Free isn’t.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would be happy too since my Dual works fine as far as I can tell. I went for the Dual since it is newer than the Tee2, and also can be used for ketone testing too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be happy too since my Dual works fine as far as I can tell. I went for the Dual since it is newer than the Tee2, and also can be used for ketone testing too.
Strips are twice the price though...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strips are twice the price though...
Not to me they are not. To me they are scrip worthy, and my GP sanctions a supply at the moment. I managed to get my CCG to put the Dual onto their recommended list when it firsr launched.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Rachox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where can I find this approved list please? I have a Caresens Dual which I’ve never used regularly, it’d be good to see if it’s on the list, it might just tip the balance in it’s favour, when the Code Free isn’t.

Rachox, my understanding is all CCGs decide for themselves which meters they will specifically recommend. A couple of years ago, I attended a meeting where T1s and T2s were given various meters to give feedback on - look, feel, ease of use and so on. That was all part of my area's decision-making process.

Reactions: Rachox

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a major review carried out by GMMMG into meters and they produced a spreadsheet that eventually narrowed down to a shortlist of 'approved' meters that met the criteria set by NICE, The shortlist included the TEE2 among others, but excluded most Abbott Lab offerings on price grounds, The shortlist did have a couple of strange ones on it. One of the meters did not actually exist, and on another the company making it was being investigated by Companies House for possible fraud, and another company showed a £2m debt run up in the last reported annual account to be registered at Companies House, Both of these last companies have since ceased trading but remained on the listings that GMMMG passed to the CCG's. I came across the GMMMG spreadsheet by chance, but it was Confidential, so I had to delete it after.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was not available when GMMMG closed the review and published their findings. The TEE2 was on their shortlist. as was the Caresense 'N', and I was able to get the Dual covered later since it met the £10 for 50 strips limit set by NICE, and it meets ISO 2013.

The local CCG;s do have some leeway so long as their choice meets the criteria or there are overriding special requirements (eg a talking meter for someone with poor eyesight) Note that this evaluation was for T2D use and did not affect T1D but those ID T2D etc may also be excluded,

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For T1’s all the guidance Ive seen regarding approved meters is that the decision is for for secondary care to initiate rather than GP’s who then prescribe the strips etc

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The strips I ordered thr other day arrived today. They end in 8084, so hopefully they'll perform as per yours Rachox. Are they still OK for you?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The strips I ordered thr other day arrived today. They end in 8084, so hopefully they'll perform as per yours Rachox. Are they still OK for you?
I’ve tested 8099 and 8084 against the rogue batch and they both seem ok.

Last edited:

garyb888

Hi Guys:
The batch that was giving me problems was lot # S0318123 exp date 2020.07.12. What was upsetting to me was that although the codefree was always higher than my abbott freestyle lite, the difference varied all over the place by large amounts over the range of my BG readings (80 mg/dl - 130 mg/dl). Sometimes 12 mg/dl difference, sometimes 25 mg/dl.
Note that i had purchased the strips on eBay from a supplier in India (bought 400 strips...****!) Are you guys really getting more comprehensible readings? I assume you both got your strips from HomeHealth in the UK, right?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys:
The batch that was giving me problems was lot # S0318123 exp date 2020.07.12. What was upsetting to me was that although the codefree was always higher than my abbott freestyle lite, the difference varied all over the place by large amounts over the range of my BG readings (80 mg/dl - 130 mg/dl). Sometimes 12 mg/dl difference, sometimes 25 mg/dl.
Note that i had purchased the strips on eBay from a supplier in India (bought 400 strips...****!) Are you guys really getting more comprehensible readings? I assume you both got your strips from HomeHealth in the UK, right?

Yes, I got mine direct from Home Health. I agree with you there are a few issues. The Code Free does anecdotally read higher, I’ve only ever tested it against my Caresens Dual which I got as a spare meter and just parallel tested 8 times which showed the Code Free was higher. Then there’s the odd batch that are a problem but also even in batches that are apparently OK there’s always an odd errant strip. It’s this inconsistency that’s putting me off :(

garyb888

I could live with an occasional strip. But the swings in variance (I did about a dozen parallel tests - same blood drop, even) were what turned me off. Maybe i should gamble a few more bucks and try ordering a small batch from Home Health. Hate to throw more good money after bad, though. I can't believe that the SD company knowingly produces unreliable stuff and survives...