So bleeping angry with my gp!!!!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
"Please note that as well as NICE guidelines GP Practices are also strictly guided by QOF....QOF have increased their demands of expectations from GP's. They now have 16 that I know of that they must fulfil."

... Sorry I just re read that... Qof have over 200 demands they make regarding the way certain illl esses are handled. Diabetes has 16 demands that I know of... And thats just for GP's...this has reduced from nearly 350 at one time.. But now they have CQC inspections and friends and family questions being implemented by more staticians....

Instead of simplifying... Its been made horrendous for Patients...and GP's.

You cannot routinely be referred to a consultant for a hip op now... No longer can you see a consultant and he book you in for an appointment.. It has to go bback to GP, go to your CCG for approval, back to GP, back to consultant....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's not about the reviews it's when I have to go through with the review with the doctors and when I ask to change anything I get told to go to the diabetes team as gp not responsible for my care

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

That is because of all the **** in NHS, its not the GP fault if he can't alter anything.

My GP or DSN as will yours have to sign off yearly checks etc for ALL their Patients with ALL critical illnesses, not just diabetes.

If you are under a health team at a hospital, then they are the people you should be asking for changes.

Your Practice only has to sign off to QOF legislation and CQC legislation AND see patients...they have restrictions placed on them as to actually what they have to do AND can do....

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Calamity
Sorry for disrupting your posting with my little bit of insight as to what is happening with our NHS services...

I hope you have managed to resolve your troubles.. Best wishes.. Sx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No wire crossed all I was saying was that I have to go to gp for 1 blood test then a couple of weeks later go to the hospital and have the same tests done all over again, it's a waste of time and money duplicating tests. I was told by my step sons asthma nurse (same person who is my dsn) that he couldn't have a second have a second attachment for his asthma pump as the nhs is nearly bankrupt yet it is ok to keep interfering in my diabetes care when I am under the diabetes clinic .

Yes it does seem pointless having two set of bloods taken for the same reason.

After my hospital review a letter goes out to my gp with all my results from the appointment, just the same whenever I see my gp or practice nurse they always say I can come in at any time and have an Hba1c test done at the surgery provided 3 months have passed since my last test, there must be some financial incentive in it for them to do so I reckon.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its not financial incentive.. Plain and simple.. GP's money is finally nosediving from when the Labour govt gave them stupid contracts for so much money.

Do google NHSEMPLOYERS.ORG with QOF changes 2013-2014. Its all in the public domain..

Some finances are involved.. But just start reading through all the jargon.... See what you can make sense of...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks DD, I don't know the ins & outs of the payment structure so I'll take your word for it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just incidentally... For 2013/2014 there was 205 pages of information to GP's on points they had to score for EVERY critical illness and percent thresholds...

For diabetic men with ED there is a score and threshold

The percentage of patients with diabetes, on the register, who have a record of a dietary review by a suitably competent professional in the preceding 12 months

And these are just two of the targets and measurements for GP businesses...

Even when a Patient is logged with a hospital.. GP's still have to hit these targets of checks and REVIEWS. Etc.....

Yes, they are paid well, but their income has dropped and dropping further...they don't just see Patients..

Think I better end my rant.. Still concerned for Calamity....

Oh and this is taken from QOF guidance on reviews-just 1piece of info from about 10...this is about the standards that GP's have to do if you do not attend your medical review... "Patients who have been recorded as refusing to attend review who have been invited on at least three occasions during the financial year to which the achievement payments relate (except in the case of indicator CS002, where the patient should have been invited on at least three occasions during the period of time specified in the indicator during which achievement is to be measured (e.g. the preceding five years ending on 31 March in the financial year to which achievement payments relate)."

There is 205 pages of this which is how GP's do get paid... And their targets etc...

Hope you can make sense of the quote....

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DD thanks so much for explaining. I have wondered why the GP does a checkup that seems redundant. I will be much more relaxed about it now I understand.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Actually unsure on this bit, but GP's volunteer to enter QOF regulations.. This goes back I think to 2004 ish...when contracts etc were all reviewed for gp's.

The difference in people getting troubles with reviews may (??) all be down to whether your GP decided to be paid in accordance with the statutesif joining up to QOF.

However, I personally cannot understand all the jargon on the the stuff I previously listed, so am a total lay person on understanding totally, but it may be a reason why some GP's have to review so insistently and some don't??

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another update...I officially give up! Just spoke to the manager of the practice. He said I had been responded to...I said I haven't and I need my blood test strips. He didn't know anything about my case but said I need to wait to get my letter from the dr. Could I please have my blood test strips?....no, wait until you get the letter from your gp...
Whats the betting it arrives Saturday morning when they are closed so I can't respond....

In answer to previous notifications...yes...I can seriously feel the papers coming on and advising anyone with diabetes to avoid this practice. Im shaking with anger and upset and guess what? Blood sugars up to 18....Thanks for everything doc.....:'(

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So have I got this right ....
You were told by reception manager that they had printed off a prescription, and asked the GP to sign it or not as the case may be.
So far, no script, but a letter is in the post to you from the GP.
Bottom line, no test strips and running out.
If so, this is unacceptable.
A visit to the surgery along with your husband or friend for support and a printed copy of the guidelines for test strips for Type 1's that was kindly posted up earlier May be called for if you cannot get an emergency appointment. This , I believe, is an emergency especially as the weekend is coming up.
Stay calm, but resolute. You need those strips. It is unacceptable to do without until a review appointment with the nurse is available.
Also, if you have a diabetic team at the hospital, phone them and tell them what is happening. A call from DSN or other member may resolve things.
Get the strips.
Change practice.
Complain .

Speak to your pharmacist if needed, but don't go without strips.

Very best of luck, and keep us updated ((((((hugs))))))

Signy

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right. Problem is that my husband and I work full time together on our own business so taking time off together is difficult, but I agree that this is best...However ridiculous it seems! My pharmacist is wonderful however so know he will help. At present im still really tearful so im not going to go back to drs today. My hubby will however, go there soon to see if I have a script and either way will get me some from the pharmacist. I intend to make an emergency appointment tomorrow morning with or without the letter and ask him his reasons for this. I will also ask to see their complaints procedure and then go as far as I have to. I will try my very best not to cry or beg. I will also change my practice because if nothing else, I have lost all respect, confidence and trust in not only the dr but the staff too. I am just really grateful for everyone's support on here. Thank you xx

Reactions: 7 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
They are a bunch of knob heads not just put your bs up but all of us reading this...on the positive side eermmm ...thinking

l got it positive you are going to a new practice and going to give old ones a good kicking...knew l would find a positive :)

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also.....been thinking about this and its not the first issue ive had with this practice...im thinking of seeing a solicitor regarding neglect of care. Like I say this is not the first time and they shouldn't be allowed to do this. Im sure you appreciate that im not asking for too much just necessary equipment. Im not opposed to seeing the nurse even though I can't really afford the time off work when ive already had a review, I just need me strips!

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive also got a feeling that the letter will be discharging me from the practice tbh. The receptionists have been so rude and putting the phone down on me but because I've been firm (NOT aggressive at all) they will say I have been purely to get out of the mess they have caused....I hope im wrong, but if not, I will do whatever I can to stop this!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There is most definitely a financial incentive and the greater QOF demands will make it harder to achieve.
Sorry, I tried to say that their payments and ongoing monies in to the Practices would be less. I termed it wrong indeed! I just re read that bit, further down I tried to explain a little going back to 2004 and way things went.

I hope that us Patients will also realise why we have to be reviewed...