So what's the truth about Cholesterol

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
jopar said:
Do modern man, do as Borofergie was suggesting kill a Bison?

No. It would be a bit bloody difficult since Bison were hunted nearly to extinction :***:

dowuchyalike

Can't be bothered to read through all 11 pages of this thread to see if someone has already mentioned this before; however, the whole cholesterol is bad idea is based on The Lipid Hypotheses. This study, performed by Ancel Keys in the 1950s has since been thoroughly debunked and yet the medical community still continues to cling to its premise. Try watching the documentary 'Fat Head' for a more accurate picture of why cholesterol is NOT the enemy and the current advice of medical practitioners IS.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
RoyG said:
and what's wrong with Olive oil now? that's all I am using now for cooking, and dressing my salads, don't tell me I have to get lard instead now?

Don't think there's anything much wrong with olive oil. I think Stephen will tell you lard is better as its an animal fat. The reason I have swapped is largely experimental. I did the first 3 months cooking my bacon and egg in good old fashioned sunflower oil that we had used for years. Results: cholesterol levels loads better. This second 3 months I swapped to olive oil and am waiting to see if this has made a difference. As my cholesterol levels are now pretty normal thought doing the bacon and eggs in a small amount of lard would continue the experiment. The amount of sunflower oil, olive oil or lard I use to cook with is in any event minimal effectively just enough to coat the base of the frying pan.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Lard contains:

45% monounsaturated fat
39% saturated fat of which 35% is stearic acid; which metabolises into oleic acid, which increases HDL without affecting LDL.
16% polyunsaturated.
(from USA National Nutritional Database: www.nal.usda.gov)

Obviously nobody is bothering to read any of my posts on this thread - I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the Palaeolithic. So I'm going to stop posting.

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
viviennem said:
Obviously nobody is bothering to read any of my posts on this thread - I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the Palaeolithic. So I'm going to stop posting.

Viv 8)

Don't stop posting Viv. No-one answers because there is nothing that they disagree with 8)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
Lard contains:

45% monounsaturated fat
39% saturated fat of which 35% is stearic acid; which metabolises into oleic acid, which increases HDL without affecting LDL.
16% polyunsaturated.
(from USA National Nutritional Database: http://www.nal.usda.gov)

Viv 8)

I appreciate it Viv. I love reading your posts. Please don't stop Paleo posting.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
xyzzy said:
RoyG said:
and what's wrong with Olive oil now? that's all I am using now for cooking, and dressing my salads, don't tell me I have to get lard instead now?

Don't think there's anything much wrong with olive oil. I think Stephen will tell you lard is better as its an animal fat. The reason I have swapped is largely experimental. I did the first 3 months cooking my bacon and egg in good old fashioned sunflower oil that we had used for years. Results: cholesterol levels loads better. This second 3 months I swapped to olive oil and am waiting to see if this has made a difference. As my cholesterol levels are now pretty normal thought doing the bacon and eggs in a small amount of lard would continue the experiment. The amount of sunflower oil, olive oil or lard I use to cook with is in any event minimal effectively just enough to coat the base of the frying pan.

Olive Oil still has too many Omega 6s. It's largely monounsaturated, and a lot better than polyunsaturated vegetable oils, but I usually prefer saturated butter, lard and coconut oil for cooking.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Lard is ok to use? I just paid £8 for extra super virgin something Olive oil when I could have got a block of lard for buttons, went out and got waffle maker yesterday as well to make almond flour waffles, so far only ended up with a lump of slop on plate even the dog turned his nose up at :( I could not find a waffle recipe in low carb section, So Viv you cannot stop posting you have to sort my waffles out. :D :D :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
Lard contains:

45% monounsaturated fat
16% polyunsaturated.

Viv 8)

HDL raising goodness. Mmmmmm.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
viviennem said:
Lard contains:

45% monounsaturated fat
16% polyunsaturated.

Viv 8)
Daisy is right,there's nothing to disagree with! I wish I knew as much as you Viv and It's a privelidge for Paleo amateurs like myself that you share your knowledge on here! :thumbup:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Paul1976 wrote
Daisy is right,there's nothing to disagree with! I wish I knew as much as you Viv and It's a privelidge for Paleo amateurs like myself that you share your knowledge on here!

+1 :thumbup:

Geoff

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
RoyG said:
I just paid £8 for extra super virgin something Olive oil

How much!!!! :shock:

I just bought some from Tesco's at half price, £1.99 for a 500ml bottle :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
Need to be a bit careful eating cheap olive oil:

It's not cheap Stephen, the brand is Napolina Extra Virgin Olive Oil and have used it for a long time.

SouthernGeneral6512

viviennem said:
Lard contains:

45% monounsaturated fat
16% polyunsaturated.

Viv 8)
It's funny there is a chip shop about 2 miles from my house and it must be the only one that still uses lard and I'm sure all the customers feel guilty about eating its food for that reason but what you have posted makes me wonder if they have it all wrong and it is actually the healthiest chip shop. There are 2 more local ones that use vegitable oil and frymax and go for the big health angle when trying to sell themselves

jopar

Going back to several posts.. to reply to xyzzy link..

I've read the link on the dsolve you've gave!

Can you explain why they haven't included the LDL's as these are the bad guys!

But if you check it out, the total cholesterol went up, Now looking at the profiles, Tot up, HDL's (good cholesterol) remianed about the same, and Tigs dropped slightly... But no mention of the LDL's (bad cholesterol) so what was the rise in LDL's and why did they hide this result!

So yet another research study, that says slightly different in conclusion than the data!

Another observation I've made is that both these research studies the cholesterol levels are in the 5's where upon mine is in the 3's!

So again, so far nothing to convince me that carbs, increase cholesterol.. Plenty to suggest I need to me that I should be extremely careful about fat intake though!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
jopar said:

But if you check it out, the total cholesterol went up, Now looking at the profiles, Tot up, HDL's (good cholesterol) remianed about the same, and Tigs dropped slightly... But no mention of the LDL's (bad cholesterol) so what was the rise in LDL's and why did they hide this result!

So yet another research study, that says slightly different in conclusion than the data!

Another observation I've made is that both these research studies the cholesterol levels are in the 5's where upon mine is in the 3's!

So again, so far nothing to convince me that carbs, increase cholesterol.. Plenty to suggest I need to me that I should be extremely careful about fat intake though!

So you have hypocholesterolemia too then Jo? Don't you think it might be sensible to increase your cholesterol a bit?

What do your LDL, HDl and trigs look like?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
jopar said:

Do what you think is best for yourself Jo.

If you want to ignore two studies that show cholesterol levels remaining roughly constant while reducing hBA1c by around 1% , reducing insulin requirements by around 40% and drastically cut the rate of hypos then that's entirely up to you. I'm sure other T1's have noted the results and seen them for what they are - good positive results that should be welcomed.

I'll just remind you and other members that both studies reported that 1% improvement in hBA1c and while 1% does not sound a lot it is twice as effective as the ADA calculates a regime based on low GI to be.

In the context of this thread then given both those regimes advocated roughly 15% carbohydrate regimes then implicitly they must be LCHF diets. The studies therefore imply adopting LCHF has little effect on cholesterol levels.

Finally while low carb a 70-90g / day regime is not VLC within the spirit of Atkins so calling it such is not correct. It would need to be sub 50g to be classed VLC.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
Do statins affect brain cholesterol?

Apparently 25% of our cholesterol is in our brains and we need it to think. This is the thing about Statins that worries me the most far more than if my total level is somewhere in the 3 - 6ish range.

One professor Yeon-Kyun Shin seems to be somewhat an authority on this based on some research he did back in 2009. A synopsis can be read here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090223221430.htm

You can download the full paper here

http://www.ibc7.org/article/journal_v.php?sid=31

Some later 2010 work on the same thing summarised here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100507161421.htm

His work was obviously taken very seriously to the extent that the FDA has changed the warnings given with statins to include possible cognitive effects such as confusion and memory loss earlier this year.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm293101.htm

I found this article which mentioned him in passing but was interesting in its own right. It talks quite sensibly about how to get the right LDL HDL balance and suggests ways of doing it. Would be interested in opinions.

http://rebalancelife.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/foods-to-lower-cholesterol/

Things that caught my attention

According to Harvard Health, the biggest influence on blood cholesterol level is the mix of fats and carbohydrates in your diet—not the amount of cholesterol you eat from food. So more important than avoiding foods with cholesterol in them, is avoiding foods that contain trans fats, which can be found in many packaged, processed, baked goods, most margarines, and fast foods. Another surprising food to avoid for cholesterol and heart health is sugar. A recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association revealed that added sugars found in packaged foods increased blood lipid levels while lowering the good cholesterol (HDL) levels.