starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Muscles do weigh more than fat, Antmos. I think your body is probably having a little plateau while it adjusts to a different diet. Bodies are very "conservative" and like to stick to what they know! :lol:

Viv 8)

iainmay

If you find you are hitting a plateau with regard to the weight loss, and you are exercising regularly it's worth checking your body water percentages.

Fat can only hold around 25% water, where muscle can be up to 75% (think those numbers are right, someone please check them). So if your weight is holding steady but your BW% is climbing its reasonable to assume you are putting on muscle mass and losing fat at the same time (provided you are in calorie deficit).

I find that I go through 2-3 week stages at the moment, where one week in three I lose no weight at all then suddenly it starts dropping off again. During the plateau my BW% steadily climbs.

Bear in mind that the type of BW measuring devices available to us mere mortals can be reasonably un-accurate, but seeing a trend in increasing BW% is a pretty good sign that things are happening in the fat loss department, and to be honest just knowing that is enough for me to stay motivated even if it carries on for a few weeks at a time...

Hope that helps :)

draggett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of the Newcastle diet plan, please?

Also does anyone kniow whether the diet has been used by anyone with peripheral neuropathy, and whether it had halted its progress or even reversed it. I have tight sugar control, but the neuropathy has progressed because of excess alcohol - I'm 8 years type 2, and have inkly just been tolf that theew is a linki!

Thanks, Draggett

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Iainmay and draggett
Iainmay very informative cheers for that, that would account for the inches lost but no weight.

Draggett I would suggest you speak with your doctor before progressing with this diet as you dont want to cause any more damage due to your neuropathy. I hopeit does help you out though, Theres also a link on one of the earlier post on this thread to the newcastle diet diet sheets etc, hope that helps

draggett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks, Geordie

A general question: Anyone in the Easingwold area who needs diabetic exercise / balance training interested in going to the Galtres gym together - I find it difficult to motivate myself, find it pretty soulless on my own, and nice to have someone to chat to.

Many thanks, Draggett

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Draggett
Thats a great suggestion tbh i train with a neighbour and we really go at it when we go together, when we go alone its just not the same.
Wouldnt it be great if we could actually get together groups of like minded people of all abilities and fitness levels who are diabetic and want to try the diet, or any healthy eating regime combined with an exercise program and give each other the support we all need at certain points, theres nothing better than friendly banter and someone on the phone kajolling you into going to the gym when you really cant be bothered. When you come back you always feel so much better.
Im going to speak to my Diabetic nurse about her starting something at my surgery lol.
If i was nearer Id def attend with you, but its a bit of a long hike lol

bluehils

Hi All
A week after completing the Newcasle diet I decided at great personal sacrifice to test my bodys reaction to a massive intake of carbs! Under rigorous scientific controls I ingested a large pizza (150grams of carb) followed by a litre of Polish larger and a few pieces of chocolate!! I tested BG 2hrs later 7.7!!! Before the diet I was on 3x500mg metformin and if I had scoffed that lot my BG would have been in the mid teens. So I reckon that 7.7 on no meds is a result!!!
OK OK I know .........back to sensible eating again!!!!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
bluehills naughy naughty but i bet you really enjoyed it lol

Good figures those are mind 7.7 after that massive carb fest lol

Im just eating sensibly at the minute and not finding it hard, i think i got the eating thing out of my system lol

C

catherinecherub

bluehils said:
Hi All
A week after completing the Newcasle diet I decided at great personal sacrifice to test my bodys reaction to a massive intake of carbs! Under rigorous scientific controls I ingested a large pizza (150grams of carb) followed by a litre of Polish larger and a few pieces of chocolate!! I tested BG 2hrs later 7.7!!! Before the diet I was on 3x500mg metformin and if I had scoffed that lot my BG would have been in the mid teens. So I reckon that 7.7 on no meds is a result!!!
OK OK I know .........back to sensible eating again!!!!

I wonder what the readings would have been if you had tested at 3 and even 4 hours? The pizza effect is often mentioned as slowing down the high reading until later because of the fat content.

youngmanfrank

Here is something to motivate those who are trying Newcastle Diet.I am now four months post diet and still have normal blood sugars and have been told to go away and come back in a years time for my next test.So far so good but early days you might say.

I have just come across a Newcastle University press release dated 24.6.11 in which they quote one of the original trial volunteers.Prior to the trial he was on gliclazide,post trial his insulin levels were normal and he was told that after six years he no longer needed his meds.The volunteer goes on to say that 18 months on he still was off meds and enjoying his new found health.This means the trial must have taken place sometime in 2010 and that at least in this patient a long term benefit was achieved.What a shame Newcastle have not done a follow up on their volunteers and published the results.

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, a week since the diet finished - blood sugars still great, still on half meds.

I am still shaking at breakfast and lunch, and having a lower carb dinner in the evening - salmon and stirfry veg tonight - yum :)

I have also started jogging - it is very, very hard lol half an hour of jogging is much harder than my usual hour and a half in the gym!! Turns out, I am still not very fit :oops:

I am committed to running the 5K race for life for my friend Lyndz who has breast cancer and my Aunt who has a brain tumour, so I have to do this xx

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
beancounter said:
I have also started jogging - it is very, very hard lol half an hour of jogging is much harder than my usual hour and a half in the gym!! Turns out, I am still not very fit :oops:

I am committed to running the 5K race for life for my friend Lyndz who has breast cancer and my Aunt who has a brain tumour, so I have to do this xx

Keep at it. Try running slower, almost everyone starts out by running too fast to begin with.

Once you can run for 10mins without stopping you've got it beat, the rest is all in your head!

draggett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good idea re gym groups, Geordie

The Newcastle diet seems almost dangerously extreme. Dioes anyone know whether reversal off medications can be achieved by a less extreme diet, or does it rely on shock tactics as someone has said?

Thanks for the advice on consulting the doctor before trying it with having peripheral neuropathy. Coudl I ask again, please, anyone out there with DPN who's tried it, and if so any effect on DPN. Many thanks

I'm due to go and see the Bootleg Beatles for my birthday tonight. I really fancy going for a pizza beforehand. AAArrrghhhh, the mental turmoil of deciding whether having a one off treat is that horrific. My wife wants to send me to Colditz for even suggesting it!! :lol: "you've done so well" is her retort.

What to do?? :think:

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
borofergie said:
Keep at it. Try running slower, almost everyone starts out by running too fast to begin with.

Once you can run for 10mins without stopping you've got it beat, the rest is all in your head!

Cheers for the advice - I am running very, very slowly lol I ahve downloaded some free podcasts with a program to build up to me running solidly for half an hour - I ran in short bursts last night. Just realised I gave the impression that I was already running solidly for half an hour - whoops :oops:

I am also pretending the lifts are broken at work so am using the stairs - three times up and down to the ninth floor today!!

Still shaking, but had some (four very small) home made meatballs for dinner with a vegetable sauce (courgette, aubergine, tomatoes and peppers blitzed up with some herbs). The rest of the family had them with wholemeal pasta, but i had mine with mushrooms and courgettes dry roasted in the oven.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
beancounter said:
Cheers for the advice - I am running very, very slowly lol I ahve downloaded some free podcasts with a program to build up to me running solidly for half an hour - I ran in short bursts last night. Just realised I gave the impression that I was already running solidly for half an hour - whoops :oops:

When I was diagnosed (a year ago), I couldn't run for 30s. Did exactly the same thing as you're doing - a run walk programme - and now I can run for 8 miles (although still not very fast).

I'm obsessed with doing parkruns - free 5k races in your local park every Saturday. I'm sure there is one near you somewhere:
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
Some people walk, some people walk-run, some people run slow, some people run fast. They help my running loads, because even though they are friendly and not competitive, running with other people always makes you push harder.

Immis

I know it doesn't sound that bad, but I just booked a week in Barbados for my wife and I for her birthday.
Booked it and then remembered how much I love the food over there.
My diet finishes in 2.5 weeks.
Any idea as to how I can eat over there and get away with it?

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Crouching get a half pizza and a salad thatll be fine

and as far as the carribean goes theres plenty of vegetables and meat out there.

Keep at it but dont give in m8