Step into Spring

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
So sorry for making that assumption he would leave home.
Good luck with finding the apprenticeship, and an understanding employer. Does he have any interest in a particular craft?

Sorry if I am too inquisitive. You can ignore my questions if you like.
Don't worry about it, I'm used to questions! Luckily he has Aspergers Syndrome which is a mild form of autism, he was able to go to a mainstream school with a special needs unit and he's currently at a mainstream college. A friend recommended I get in touch with the National Autistic Society, apparently they have a list of recommended employers who are sympathetic towards young people with special needs. He's very creative, he has a level 3 BTEC in Performing Arts and has been a member of various drama groups at our local theatre for 7 years. A couple of years ago he performed in The Tempest at the theatre! He was recommended for the role of the King of Milan by his group leader :)

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I worked with many Aspergers students way back in the distant past. Always impressed by how reliable they were.
Hope he succeeds in his chosen career.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I worked with many Aspergers students way back in the distant past. Always impressed by how reliable they were.
Hope he succeeds in his chosen career.
Thanks, he also suffers from depression and anxiety so the theatre plays a big part in keeping him on an even keel. He has some very good contacts there so an apprenticeship there is another possibility

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
50 minute walk . Then the rain started

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Headache and sinusitis. :(
Dust from major refurb, that awful plaster dust that no matter how much damp dusting is done it keeps reappearing. I kept dusting though.
And mopping and vacuuming. Going to try to get out and walk tomorrow and breathe clean air. Even if it does rain.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did walk for 90 minutes. Much of the time holding shopping trolley walking around Asda. Lots of traffic, and didn't feel like getting in the car to find a quiet place to walk. So no fresh air.:(

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. 50 lengths in 63 minutes:)

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had a busy day today - this morning I went to my local library because they had a book and DVD sale, this afternoon I walked to and from my nearest co-op cos my mum likes their coffee and tonight I was volunteering at my community theatre! We had a full house and I was working front of house so it was all hands on deck! I have no idea how many steps I made but I didn't sit down once during the 2 hour show so it was a lot :)

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
21,827 steps on Friday and 14,430 yesterday including a lot of uphill near Ullswater. Only 5,981 today, but have been on trains for most off it.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1460314922.862369.jpg
Pipp I saw this .... Hahahaha

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Too right, @Jamrox.
I was most dischuffed at walking round the supermarket for over an hour yeasterday, and the darn thing was still flashing that red line at me, as it hadn't registered the steps taken when I was holding on o the shopping trolley.

Just a bit of pottering around the garden today. And sit to stand exercise on the garden bench. That is not easy!. Still doing lots of stair climbing with downstairs bathroom facilities out of action. Perhaps will continue even when the work is finished.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
21,827 steps on Friday and 14,430 yesterday including a lot of uphill near Ullswater. Only 5,981 today, but have been on trains for most off it.
Ullswater, lovely for a walk. Well jealous.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9.5 miles today - hopefully that's burned off the last of the weekend's excesses!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
45 mins workout in swimming pool.
Then a 10 min walk.

Reactions: 5 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm going to visit my mum again this afternoon - she's partially sighted from retinopathy and likes doing jigsaws with large pieces. At the moment she's doing a jigsaw with a village fete but she's stuck on the bit with lots of trees! I said I'd help her with it, and it also means I get to walk there and back. 1 hour walking - result :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
2 x 40 minute walk each with 6 x 30 second runs
All the leaves are turning and the air is so clean and the sky so blue, Autumn is such a great time of the year in Canberra

Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asthma struck.
Taking a sicky today.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 x 40 minute walk each with 6 x 30 second runs
All the leaves are turning and the air is so clean and the sky so blue, Autumn is such a great time of the year in Canberra
That seems perfect weather for a brisk walk.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hope you 're ok Pipp
Diamum I love jigsaw too , they relax me .

I'm in Fort William for a couple of days , cold and remote but nice walks .
I feel as if it's the last stop to no where .

To be honest I don't think I was prepared for the drive through Glen Coe