1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stop Keto Now - The Mice Have Spoken!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by bigsi1984, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

Thank you Oldvatr and Brunneria

2. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

@Brunneria I don't understand this. Vegetables all contain carbs. I find I have to ration them severely in order to keep my carb intake and my bg down. Perhaps it is possible to eat keto while still eating enough carbs to raise some people's bg? Could you give an example of your vegetable intake over eg a day?

3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Anyone got a source for polyphenols being of benefit in vivo? Closest I can find is benefit in vitro.

4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

The easiest way to understand keto and how it works for you is the same as the easiest way to understand Bgs. To understand BGs you get a BG meter and to understand keto you get a ketometer. That way you know you are in ketosis and you can find the right level of carbs to suit you.

5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

My current veg intake is nil - because I have been ZC/carnivore since a bad tummy bug before Xmas made veg fibre a no no for me.

However, when I was eating 'keto', I ate plenty of veg. Sugar snap peas, green beans, aubergine, courgettes, cauliflour, broccoli, salads, mushrooms, coleslaw, tomatoes (within reason), cabbages, spinach, kale, celeriac... lovely, lovely veg in bounteous portions, often with butter or cheese or mayo or cream cheese over them.
    Sugarsnap peas have approx 5g carbs/100g. I was cheerfully eating 150g for my evening meal, with a good 150g of sauteed mushrooms and maybe followed by 2-3 strawberries with cream. That is a lot of veg to see on a plate. Lovely. Negligible bg impact. The more fibre, the less bg impact.

I would have a big beefsteak tomato at lunch (the size of a cricket ball) with mozzarella and olive oil, or with peppered smoked mackerel. That would raise my blood glucose. But if I had it with coleslaw (fat and fibre) my levels hardly blipped.
    A portion of leeks (in butter) was... um... a couple of the big leeks, you know the ones that run the length of the fridge shelf?
    Oh, and braised red cabbage (spices, apple cider vinegar, onion and a cooking apple, with a HUGE red cabbage sliced like coleslaw, and a dab of butter...) a portion of that was probably... um... the size of both my clenched fists...?
    Gosh, this is making me nostaligic. I love veg.

I have never gone for any kind of rigid carb counting, because for me and my body (which has variously had T2 bg levels and RH), all that veg had virtually nil impact on blood glucose, and nil effect in preventing me from being in ketosis. I think it was the fibre making the carb glucose release be so slow that my blood glucose doesn't show a rise. Or the rise was so slight that my own insulin levels iron it out. This is why I bang on about not all carbs being equal, and how fat and fibre slow the glucose release.

The carbs I need to count are the ones that release fast enough to affect my blood glucose, the simple sugars, the starchy veg, grains, chocolate, roasted chicory (coffee substitute), milk, yog, etc.etc. I am incredibly sensitive to all these quick release carbs because my 1st insulin response is totally shot (like many, many T2s), and my gluten/grain intolerance makes my bg v unstable if I have a whiff of grain 'on board'.

I've never bought into the idea that ketosis=50g or less, or even 20g or less.
    We are too individual for that.
    The idea is just illogical and misleading.
    A ketogenic diet is when the food you eat keeps you in ketosis - and that number of g of carbs varies from person to person depending on a whole number of variables from their height, weight, age, muscle mass, insulin resistance, the person's individual reaction to the food (@Chook used to talk about spiking from mushrooms!) so food intolerances play a part, also the amount of fat and fibre eaten before or with the food, the type/source of the carbs, stress levels when eating/digesting, exercise, etc. etc.

Most of those things vary from day to day, so the food that keeps you in ketosis will vary day to day too - heck even during a single day.

As an example, try taking 10 g of quick release carbs, in say, a half slice of bread.
    Eat it by itself.
    The next day eat it with lashings of butter
    The next day eat it before your evening meal
    Then next, after your protein/fat evening meal
    Then use it as breadcrumbs in a meatloaf
    Then eat it with a non-fibrous veg
    Then a really fibrous veg portion
    Then eat it before exercise
    and after...

The variations are endless, and I guarantee that you will get surprisingly different blood glucose readings from those various tests, over different lengths of time.

There is just so much more to it than a numbers game.
    And once we know how to play it, we can eat really well AND stay in ketosis.

Edited repeatedly to add more veg descriptions til I realised that I was just torturing myself. haha!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #65 Brunneria, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:03 PM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

Is the not eating vegetables thing to do with low carbing or to do with keto? And do you have to eat loads of saturated fat to do keto? Is the purpose of keto to lose weight or to lower BG?

7. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. lucylocket61

are you asking @Brunneria why she has stopped eating veg for now? If not, I dont understand the question as you can low carb and eat lots of veg, as Brunneria has explained just now.

You do not have to eat lots of saturated fat, or lots of any other form of fats. But then, that depends on what you consider to be lots.

you can use keto to lose weight, maintain weight, gain weight- whatever you need it for.it all depends on how much you eat. Likewise with lowering BG.

I am going to page @bulkbiker to give you the short guide to what keto is, as he is my keto guru on here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

From Wikipedia
    Ketosis is a metabolic state in which some of the body's energy supply comes from ketone bodies in the blood, in contrast to a state of glycolysis in which blood glucose provides energy. Generally, ketosis occurs when the body is metabolizing fat at a high rate and converting fatty acids into ketones.

Keto is low carbing. Low carbing is not necessarily keto if you are not low enough carb to be in ketosis. I weigh my plateful of veggies and carb count them to make sure I don't go over my personal level.

No you don't have to eat a lot of saturated fat, but having extra fat helps to keep the hunger pangs at bay. My calorie intake varies from 800-1850 cals a day and I am still in ketosis at the higher level.

For me keto is solely to lose weight, my BGs are OK but not great (yet). When I was simply low carbing I lost weight at the beginning but it has stalled for years. I realise now that I was probably just popping in and out of ketosis and not staying there for long enough. Since getting my ketometer I have lost 12 pounds in 19 days.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    #69 zand, Aug 11, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  10. Alexandra100

I wish! If I eat lots of low carb veg my carb count goes up, as does my bg.

11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I think Tannith has me on ignore..

12. Birdwoman

Birdwoman Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@bulkbiker
    I would like to hear/see your take on it, so please post for us others to see!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'lots of low carb veg'.
    Tonight I will be having 62g cauliflower, 71g runner beans, 51 g broccoli and 50g broad beans.
    Last night my plate was more full because I had cabbage and curly kale instead of broad beans.
    If I lose weight my FBG always tends to go up slightly no matter what I am eating to achieve the weight loss. I don't know why, but this has always happened.

14. lucylocket61

well, i would still like to hear your answer please.

15. lucylocket61

what carb level do you have to have to keep you blood sugars stable?

16. rab5

rab5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you a link for Atkins being harmful?

17. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's very precise!

18. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

lol yeh, leftovers from yesterday, so it's easy to calculate. :) And it needs to be precise if I am going to have a higher carb veggie like broad beans. :)

19. Alexandra100

I eat <50g low carb veg at breakfast, but none if my pre prandial bg is higher than I want. <100g low carb veg at lunch. <50g low carb vegetables for dinner, but none if I am higher than I want, as I seem to cope badly with carbs in the evening. So the maximum vegetable intake in a day is 200g and the minimum 100g. I envy you your abundance of vegetables.

Could the rise in fbg when you lose weight be due to the fluid loss that goes with fat loss?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexandra100

Please see my post above, but I wouldn't call my bg totally stable whatever I do. Certainly it is not as low as I would like.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook