Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
An excellent appointment @ally1.
I think I understand that assistance aid. Does anyone in social services help you? Sometimes they can be nominated as a port of call... Years ago. Not sure if changed.
Anyone here know more for ally's predicament?
A next of kin, maybe? I think normally carer or family member to get you home safe.?

People without used to fall under social care, right?
No sure if your bipolar medic would know more? Calling them would clarify this for you Ally. When do you see them next?
I Don, t have any help from social services.
My nearest family are 40ish miles away so they are too far away to help by using them

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
There is a link that my friend wears on her wrist, that goes straight to a contact centre.. they only need one person listed to check.
Daisy and lady playing on Saturday in garden. I was in her kitchen and all of a sudden alarms went off and someone was speaking through speaker!
It was Daisy dog that caught her wrist button whilst playing-ooops!!
She did not have to pay for this alarm system to be put in.
If you cant provide 3 people, you cant provide. If person is on a mobile its better as most people have these on them a lot.

Think all sorts of meds can have side effects... I know when I was on gabapentin I couldnt walk straight and another affected noise levels of conversations that I couldnt tolerate.. getting used to tablets doesnt necessarily mean that they arent unbalancing... it can be just that we no longer notice it so much on a day to day basis until a fall can happen. Unfortunately its deciding on evils of drugs compared to benefits. Your mood and bipolar needs to be managed, if the walker keeps you safer then that is probably the best action rather than faffing around with meds....

Glad you been seen... dont let the 3 person thing put you off, if only one person, then its one person.
With my friend, the one person goes round and checks and finds out if it a false alarm or whether ambulance needed. It doesnt have to be a family member or anyone close as a friend. Just someone that can check on you and confirm state of care needed.... or not (as in our case on Saturday!!).. xx
Thank you. To be honest, not one person on my close would be suitable as they are alot more frail

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sounds like at long last Ally, you are receiving the attention you have needed for a long time. I'm sure it must be a huge relief and also even more frustration knowing all this has been out there whilst you've been struggled. If I've been battling reeeeaaaallllly hard, and make a breakthrough, as you have, I sometimes end up having a bit of a cry over it. Seems like all the emotions come out to play for a while.

However, moving onto your predicament; it could be worthwhile for you to understand what these three people would be expected to do, if you did have a fall. I think who we can ask can be a bit different if they just have to check on you, or if they would be expected to help you up, if you'd fallen. If it's the latter, that's a big ask for anyone, of any age.

Ally, you won't be the only person who lives some way from family and have a limited support network around you. There'll be a way arounf things.
Thank you.
Tonight I feel so calm that someone has actually listened to me.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh, and perhaps you. Should also be referred to a falls clinic... most CCG's have a falls clinic and can help in providing you with things / advice to help.

No member of public should ever attempt to help anybody in a situation off a fall. If that person cannot use their own body, strength or own mind to get up themselves then external services such as 111 or 999 should be used.
I asked about a falls clinic but told they don,t do these in my area. I was only given a leaflet to say how to get up if I was near a sturdy chair or bed. Fair enough but not if nothing like that about

Reactions: donnellysdogs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
Tonight I feel so calm that someone has actually listened to me.

Ally, you continually amaze me; how far you've come. You should be very proud of yourself.

In terms of the leaflet you've had, will you be able to have a bit of a practise at some point? Probably having fallen down, and maybe being a bit shaken up, might not be the best time to try to remember the techniques on the leaflet.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thank you. To be honest, not one person on my close would be suitable as they are alot more frail

They only have to have a key to open door... and check if you are needing ambulance etc... they do not have to help or do anythinv for you as such. Just confirm if you conscious, or not, or even fallen out of bed or fallen hanging out washing etc... they do not have to do anything but that.

I have a lifeline Ally... and anybody coming in to my home firsthas to get past Daisy dog!! Alll my neighbours are elderly. Honestly, if explained to them jyst that it doesnt involve lifting etc ... anybody should agree to it.

Reactions: ally1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I also have a plastic file in hallway consisting of my DNR, my meds and my Daisy dog needs and what she needs and decisions to be made... also contact details of my main friend and a neighbour.

The minimum that you should have available for ambulance people or neighbours are drugs, health issues and family contacts in a visible place in the hall...

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Ally, you continually amaze me; how far you've come. You should be very proud of yourself.

In terms of the leaflet you've had, will you be able to have a bit of a practise at some point? Probably having fallen down, and maybe being a bit shaken up, might not be the best time to try to remember the techniques on the leaflet.
I could try that

Reactions: Pipp and ickihun

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
They only have to have a key to open door... and check if you are needing ambulance etc... they do not have to help or do anythinv for you as such. Just confirm if you conscious, or not, or even fallen out of bed or fallen hanging out washing etc... they do not have to do anything but that.

I have a lifeline Ally... and anybody coming in to my home firsthas to get past Daisy dog!! Alll my neighbours are elderly. Honestly, if explained to them jyst that it doesnt involve lifting etc ... anybody should agree to it.
I will have a think tomorrow.
You could always give me Queen Daisy lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If we lived nearer @ally1 we could role play how we would both try and get back up after a fall. Mind you I'd be like a roly poly ha ha and will have either found the brick walls I stay close to for support in my walking a help or a hindrance.
Ive decided I cannot worry about falling as it just makes me more nervous about going out... even with the 2 kids and hubby.
You know I had a man nearly twice my age help me on the icy path last month. I declined his arm for support as if I fell I would have took him with me. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if that had happened. He was very kind but things can go wrong when lifting or helping someone. Best to leave it to experts @ally1. If you don't realise your hurt it can be more catastrophic. Best to get checked out if you fall hun.
Hopefully now... you won't. :) :) :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I also have a plastic file in hallway consisting of my DNR, my meds and my Daisy dog needs and what she needs and decisions to be made... also contact details of my main friend and a neighbour.

The minimum that you should have available for ambulance people or neighbours are drugs, health issues and family contacts in a visible place in the hall...
That's a good idea. I should do that.

Reactions: ickihun

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
If we lived nearer @ally1 we could role play how we would both try and get back up after a fall. Mind you I'd be like a roly poly ha ha and will have either found the brick walls I stay close to for support in my walking a help or a hindrance.
Ive decided I cannot worry about falling as it just makes me more nervous about going out... even with the 2 kids and hubby.
You know I had a man nearly twice my age help me on the icy path last month. I declined his arm for support as if I fell I would have took him with me. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if that had happened. He was very kind but things can go wrong when lifting or helping someone. Best to leave it to experts @ally1. If you don't realise your hurt it can be more catastrophic. Best to get checked out if you fall hun.
Hopefully now... you won't. :) :) :)
I would laugh so much at someone trying to pick me up

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Yesterday without her dogmatic collar on and just the 1/2 check choke collar.. she lunged out of bungalow to get to neighbours yappie yorkie!! At the moment I would say you are welcome to Queen Daisy-lol!!!
Neighbours and Yorkie fine but didnt do much for my chest and ulner nerve pain!!
Back to the dogmatic lead from now on.

You've achieved great things so far Ally, dont let one name (or 3) fail you. Persons need to be eithin a 20 min drive really.

Keep going Ally, you done fantastic to get this far with a failing GP and care. Pat on back x 100. And mountains of slobbery kisses from Queen Daisy.

IMG_8600.jpg

(Daisy sat in new car!!-loving the sun roof!!)

Reactions: Struma and ally1

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We all could do with a loyal Daisy. At least she won't answer back and goes to bed herself, without a fuss.

I often here people say they are surrounded by people but are still lonely.
It just goes to show how things don't look like they seem.
I bet when Ally is out shopping people don't realise she has so much on-line backing.
We are here for you hun.
For you too @donnellysdogs. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I would laugh so much at someone trying to pick me up
I'm telling you he was such a gent. Bless him. I'm probables 3 times his weight too. It was very kind of him thou.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think it's a great idea to have practice runs at getting up after a fall but first to lay and check your body for injuries. An adrenaline rush can mean that it takes a few minutes sometimes before pain alerts us to injury so trying to get up straight after a fall can possibly exacerbate an injury. Go steady and listen to your body.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We all could do with a loyal Daisy. At least she won't answer back and goes to bed herself, without a fuss.

I often here people say they are surrounded by people but are still lonely.
It just goes to show how things don't look like they seem.
I bet when Ally is out shopping people don't realise she has so much on-line backing.
We are here for you hun.
For you too @donnellysdogs. :)

Thank you from Daisy and myself.

Something I learnt well and truly... we may not have control of what happens in our lives, but we are responsible for the actions we take to them. For me, nothing will bring John back, nothing can determine whether I get cancer back or worse health problems. I am living and I have to enjoy "Queen" Daisy my constant companion and look aftsr her but for myself, I have to live, laugh and smile everyday and to make enjoyment and not get ground down.

Thank you @ickihun..

Ally keep up fighting for your health... its uktimately our responsibilify, us that has to make the best of what we can.

You have taken great respinsibilty for your health. Proud of you...

And another hug from "Queen" Daisy...taking her responsibility for not drowning on her first deep, flowing river swim today!!

We all need to keep our heads above watsr for looking after ourselvss and Ally you are amazing.

Xxx

IMG_8595.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You'd be behind me in the queue for the godess Daisy!!

Do you have a key safe outside already Ally? I've had one for years, since I left my house keys in my car and dropped it off for service, just before the garage closed. I couldn't get into the house, so had to camp out with a neighbour until next morning.

We all need a contingency plan.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Yesterday without her dogmatic collar on and just the 1/2 check choke collar.. she lunged out of bungalow to get to neighbours yappie yorkie!! At the moment I would say you are welcome to Queen Daisy-lol!!!
Neighbours and Yorkie fine but didnt do much for my chest and ulner nerve pain!!
Back to the dogmatic lead from now on.

You've achieved great things so far Ally, dont let one name (or 3) fail you. Persons need to be eithin a 20 min drive really.

Keep going Ally, you done fantastic to get this far with a failing GP and care. Pat on back x 100. And mountains of slobbery kisses from Queen Daisy.

View attachment 26477

(Daisy sat in new car!!-loving the sun roof!!)
Beautiful Queen Daisy

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Thank you from Daisy and myself.

Something I learnt well and truly... we may not have control of what happens in our lives, but we are responsible for the actions we take to them. For me, nothing will bring John back, nothing can determine whether I get cancer back or worse health problems. I am living and I have to enjoy "Queen" Daisy my constant companion and look aftsr her but for myself, I have to live, laugh and smile everyday and to make enjoyment and not get ground down.

Thank you @ickihun..

Ally keep up fighting for your health... its uktimately our responsibilify, us that has to make the best of what we can.

You have taken great respinsibilty for your health. Proud of you...

And another hug from "Queen" Daisy...taking her responsibility for not drowning on her first deep, flowing river swim today!!

We all need to keep our heads above watsr for looking after ourselvss and Ally you are amazing.

Xxx

View attachment 26478
Thank you