Sudden worsening of sugar levels for no apparent reason

MauroSilvano

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody,
I'm a 69 old man from Italy.
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 some 30 years ago.
I tried to improve my conditions in the years with with a good and conscious nutrition, practicing some kind of sports and even intermittent fasting.
My condition improved untill december 2022 with HbA1c 43 mmol/mol.
Then last summer I experienced a sudden increase of glucose levels that has been worsening in the months with no apparent reason.
Now I have 180 mg/dl at the wake up and 2 hours after a meal with zero carbs my blood sugar spikes over 250, with carbs even over 300 mg/dl.
Last blood test in February revealed HbA1c 67 mmol/mol and S-C-peptide 0.29 nmoli/L ( 0.37 -1.47 normal value ).
I was prescibed and injection of DelaGlutide 0.75 once aweek along with Metformin 850.
Has anyone experienced a similar condition?
What helped to improve that condition?
Thank you for reading
Mauro

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar experience at age 50 but not so extreme. In my case I believe it was due to a virus. You are likely to need to go onto insulin as your C-Peptide confirms low insulin production. I've now been on insulin for many years.

Reactions: MauroSilvano

MauroSilvano

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your interesting answer,
So as I can understand you have been taking insulin for some 26 years or so.
Any side effects for using insulin so long?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @MauroSilvano and welcome to the forums

@Daibell is listed as LADA on their profile, which is a subset of T1. It is expected that T1s eventually produce no (or almost no) insulin because an autoimmune reaction destroys all their insulin producing cells. As such, they are expected to eventually move to insulin.

You are listed as T2, and though low insulin production can be due to a LADA misdiagnosed as T2 , I don't think that is necessarily the case at all, specially not after 30 years.

As a T1 insulin user for 54 years I'm pretty happy with the stuff, but there is a lot to be said for avoiding insulin if you don't really need it. And there seem to be a lot of treatments available for T2s, even those with lowish insulin production, before insulin is needed. But I freely admit that as a T1 I'm not the right person to discuss medication for T2s.

And I believe @Rachox is familiar with the class of drugs that delaglutide (aka trulicity) is a member of, though I have no idea what her insulin production is like.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I believe @Rachox is familiar with the class of drugs that delaglutide (aka trulicity) is a member of, though I have no idea what her insulin production is like.
As @EllieM says, yes I take Rybelsus (semaglutide) tablets (I was initially on Victoza, liraglutide injections). both these meds ar GLP-1 drugs. I have no clue what my Insulin levels are, so I’m sorry I can’t help with your questions @MauroSilvano

Reactions: MauroSilvano

MauroSilvano

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @EllieM says, yes I take Rybelsus (semaglutide) tablets (I was initially on Victoza, liraglutide injections). both these meds ar GLP-1 drugs. I have no clue what my Insulin levels are, so I’m sorry I can’t help with your questions @MauroSilvano
Hi @Rachox ,
Thank you for your answer.
Even though, as you write, you don't know what are your insulin level, I see that drugs you have been taking work on you, correct?

mpla212000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rude people, the cold, exercising.
I am 62 years old now and started intermittent fasting about 2 months ago. I also noticed that my morning blood sugar readings were higher than what they normally were and I was concerned. I did some research and found that during intermittent fasting, I am using the 18:6 fasting method, that my body needs energy after about 12 hours so it gets glucose from my fat stores ie from my liver, etc. Hence the morning elevated Blood Sugar readings. However, once I break my fast and have my first meal of the day after about 4 hours my blood sugar returns right back to 6.3 and basically stays there until then next morning where everything repeats itself. There is a youtube video by Dr Jason Fung that explained everything to my satisfaction. That was a relief.
Here are some interesting articles for you.