Sugar and more sugar

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Evening. Am I being really irresponsible injecting just so I can have an unhealthy snack...... few biscuits, packets of crisps in an evening, usually on a Saturday night. I’m not talking a share size bag just a couple of treats. I currently inject app 1/2 unit per 10g of carbs. Have only been diagnosed 3 months and have always had a sweet tooth. I know carbs are killers but I’m almost confident to eat what I choose now rather than can I have that because it’s a lot of carbs so a lot of insulin. I am healthy otherwise, well within bmi range. My nurse said I might put weight on now my body is processing the sugars but over the 3 months it’s only been about 4lbs. TIA

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you are still in the honeymoon stage, you can get away with bolusing for carbs in this way. Be aware that it won't last, though. Remaining beta cells will be lost, endogenous insulin production will peter out and tolerance to carbs will drop. So the sooner you recondition yourself to not having the sweet tooth, the easier this transition will be.

Reactions: ert

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You are type 1 so, you can choose to eat normally, which includes biscuits and crisps, by dosing with insulin. The DAFNE courses, which I highly recommend, is dose adjustment for normal eating.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Evening. Am I being really irresponsible injecting just so I can have an unhealthy snack...... few biscuits, packets of crisps in an evening, usually on a Saturday night. I’m not talking a share size bag just a couple of treats. I currently inject app 1/2 unit per 10g of carbs. Have only been diagnosed 3 months and have always had a sweet tooth. I know carbs are killers but I’m almost confident to eat what I choose now rather than can I have that because it’s a lot of carbs so a lot of insulin. I am healthy otherwise, well within bmi range. My nurse said I might put weight on now my body is processing the sugars but over the 3 months it’s only been about 4lbs. TIA

Ha ha, yes it's irresponsible and getting diabetes should be a warning to look after yourself a bit better, BUT I think this is one of those times for "do as I say, not as I do" because the odd chocolate digestive here and there helps keep the tedium at bay.

Take a look at this thread.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/today’s-carbs.171552/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you manage to keep your blood glucose more or less in range with the insulin and snacks, it's perfectly fine. It's what non diabetics do: eat snack, produce insulin.
Your insulin coming from an injection doesn't change that.

The only thing is that many of us find it very hard to dose for those carby snacks without ending up with roller-coaster bg levels. But if it works for you, it's wonderful. Enjoy!

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don’t really know if they’re in range or not. Being so new to all this I aim to be between 5 and 8. I have stopped checking my bloods constantly however for the past 3-4 days they have been within that range. I think I am still in the honeymoon period because at lunch I tend to eat less carbs so less insulin but become too low between 3 and 5 usually resulting in a hypo but I’ve adjusted my does accordingly so match this pattern. I do hope to get on this course because I’ve heard such good things about it....... with covid 19 could be a while off plus my DSN said I had to be diagnosed a minimum of 6 months too xx

Reactions: Antje77

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although as a T1 you can eat as many carbs as you want I wouldn't recommend it even though the NHS might say it. If you do you may well gain weight and have BS swings. As @MarkMunday says as the honeymoon period progresses you may find it more difficult to keep your BS stable without frequent testing so be sensible with the carbs.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
While certain things aren't good for anyone..................candy etc...........a treat off and on is up to you. You can eat all the carbs you want as long as you learn to control your blood sugars appropriately by dosing right. I definitely have a piece of chocolate everyday. Sometimes more than one. Generally my diet is full of fruits, veggies, grains etc. But if I want a treat, I have a treat. Just try not to eat treats as a major food group all the time, it's not good for anybody.