Sugar with your chicken, sir?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday in the most random manner, waiting for the lady before me to choose her yoghurts, so that I could pick up mine, I encountered this in Lidl.

I hadn't gone in for chicken, and didn't buy any chicken, but couldn't believe my eyes nonethless.

I appreciate it isn't much sugar, but why is there any at all, and of course between that and the other "ingredients" of this item, it reduces the chicken content to 82%

Caveat Emptor

upload_2019-5-21_13-20-22.png

The cost per kilo of this option is less than the fresh option, although much less if I take 82% of the fresh option's price per kilo, thus evening up the playing field.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like salt, sugar enhanses taste, and it's cheap. Plus it's addictive, which we all pretty much know here. ;)

Still. It's chicken. It doesn't need more than maybe some seasoning and mayo. *shrug*

Reactions: Member496333
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yesterday in the most random manner, waiting for the lady before me to choose her yoghurts, so that I could pick up mine, I encountered this in Lidl.

I hadn't gone in for chicken, and didn't buy any chicken, but couldn't believe my eyes nonethless.

I appreciate it isn't much sugar, but why is there any at all, and of course between that and the other "ingredients" of this item, it reduces the chicken content to 82%

Caveat Emptor

View attachment 33043

The cost per kilo of this option is less than the fresh option, although much less if I take 82% of the fresh option's price per kilo, thus evening up the playing field.

Email the company and ask why on earth there needs to be sugar in the chicken !!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Email the company and ask why on earth there needs to be sugar in the chicken !!

I tweeted them, but they responded by telling me their customer services would be best to respond.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think its a cheap filler. When my parents worked in a chinese takeaway, they always bought 80% chicken and the rest was preservatives and fillers, quite salty too. 100% chicken breast is more expensive.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow - the Lidl chicken thighs are now £1.79 per Kg - fresh and unadulterated.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that the chicken is soaked in solution of water, sugar, salt (and other stuff like preservative) before being packaged.
The liquid is absorbed by the meat, and gives it a plumper glossier appearance, as well as a longer shelf life.
It also makes it heavier.
So more money is charged.
Then, while cooking, the extra liquid is released giving the white scummy liquid that appears in the pan when cooking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumping

This is an old article, but apparently it is still relevant:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/06/supermarket-frozen-chicken-breasts-water

Yet another reason why I don't understand the claim that poultry is 'healthier' than red meat.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like my chicken barbequed and smothered in hot sauce, otherwise I'll take a steak medium rare. I can never understand why a cooked hot chicken at the supermarket costs less than an uncooked one... :)

Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like my chicken barbequed and smothered in hot sauce, otherwise I'll take a steak medium rare. I can never understand why a cooked hot chicken at the supermarket costs less than an uncooked one... :)
Its not cheaper at my supermarkets. Not when kilo price is worked out.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brining is often recommended as an aid to keeping chicken moist when roasting and most brining solutions contain sugar. I have tried it but didn't like the resulting texture.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Caveat Emptor

View attachment 33043

Crazy not what u would expect to find on or in chicken .

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is how a lie can be made true. Add the very thing some of us say is a slow poison to an already compromised food, and then say look at these tests, chicken has all these bad things. "We" have in my view a collective responsibility to try to rid society of this trash.

Reactions: Member496333

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am going to be following this initiative with interest as it aligns with what I would like to see. Very ambitious to get the potential site, user friendly, whilst providing a solid academic resource:

Slightly off topic, but with some cross over, Zoe Harcombe has another stunning podcast below as well, she rolls up several areas in her usual concise manner: