Supplements

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Life is too short for dislikes.
Simple question for a Sunday, do you guys take supplements? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A cheap multivitamin - this is mainly for the B12 which is lacking from a vegan diet.

I also take omega 3, don't think that's essential for me. But taking as I'm not eating fish at the moment.

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tesco do an own-brand multivitamin with B12 at 100% RDA. Very cheap.

That should be enough as most people have stores of B12 in their bodies big enough to last a couple of years. Unless B12 has been missing from your diet for a long time? In which case maybe consider taking two or three pills a day? I can't see that doing any harm unless you have something along the lines of Haemochromatosis or other issue that requires limiting a vitamin/mineral on the ingredients list.

Disclaimer: I'm no doctor and this isn't medical advice to be taken seriously by any person or entity

Edit - sorry I missed the context, thought the original poster was referring to B12 specifically

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I take vitamins D and B12 as I take Metformin and Omega 3

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco do an own-brand multivitamin with B12 at 100% RDA. Very cheap.

That should be enough as most people have stores of B12 in their bodies big enough to last a couple of years. Unless B12 has been missing from your diet for a long time? In which case maybe consider taking two or three pills a day? I can't see that doing any harm unless you have something along the lines of Haemochromatosis or other issue that requires limiting a vitamin/mineral on the ingredients list.

Disclaimer: I'm no doctor and this isn't medical advice to be taken seriously by any person or entity

Edit - sorry I missed the context, thought the original poster was referring to B12 specifically
Some medications impact B12 levels, by impacting uptake and metabolic process. Such medication include Metformin and the PPI classed, such as the commonly prescribed Lanzoprazole or Omeprazole, used for reflux and other gastric challenges.

Those prescribed such drugs (and those are only common examples) should be tested regularly, but rarely are.

Nicksellick

Does anyone take a supplement to help lower or regulate their glucose levels?
If so, do you think they work?
I have read the Berberine can help, but haven’t really found any evidence.

Reactions: MissMuffett

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does anyone take a supplement to help lower or regulate their glucose levels?
If so, do you think they work?
I have read the Berberine can help, but haven’t really found any evidence.
According to this article and many others, vitamin D3 MAY help. I take it because I don’t get enough sun to naturally manufacture it.

Reactions: Nicksellick

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple question for a Sunday, do you guys take supplements? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
IF it was a case of taking just one, I'd suggest testing for B12 & if low making it that one .

I take B12 in sublingual form

As mentioned Metformin AND being 60+ can lower it.

Too low can mean injections, & treatment for life ...so I took it seriously, due diligence & lots of research.

Having watched my mum's decline into dementia, the possible impact of the role B12 might play fully captured my attention.

Up shot was I asked for my B12 to be tested at my HBA1c blood check.

( Not an issue asking & getting it tested, but beware it's not tested unless requested.)

Found mine was at very low end of recommended range 190-900.
Ordered B12, in sublingual form, as it seems in tablet form it can't pass the stomach in any meaningful way.

Next HBA1c it went from 225 - 335...not ideal but an improvement & away from the edge of danger, I felt.

For B12 context & info, B movie below in my signature highlights the various & detrimental ways low B12 impacts people.

The Wikipedia page is a good starting point

As for other vitamins, D3+K2 here as well .
And 2 Brazil nuts for 'brain power' can't prove it's helped, but they taste good and are rather filling, surprisingly.
Google selenium & Brazil nuts

Good luck finding the info you're looking for .

Last edited:

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh forgot to say I also take Vitamin C with Zinc. Started that during lockdown after reports of it being helpful warding off Covid symptoms, carried on now I am seriously low carbing and avoiding fruit etc.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IF it was a case of taking just one, I'd suggest testing for B12 & if low making it that one .

I take B12 in sublingual form

As mentioned Metformin AND being 60+ can lower it.

Too low can mean injections, & treatment for life ...so I took it seriously, due diligence & lots of research.

Having watched my mum's decline into dementia, the possible impact of the role B12 might play fully captured my attention.

Up shot was I asked for my B12 to be tested at my HBA1c blood check.

( Not an issue asking & getting it tested, but beware it's not tested unless requested.)

Found mine was at very low end of recommended range 190-900.
Ordered B12, in sublingual form, as it seems in tablet form it can't pass the stomach in any meaningful way.

Next HBA1c it went from 225 - 335...not ideal but an improvement & away from the edge of danger, I felt.

For B12 context & info, B movie below in my signature highlights the various & detrimental ways low B12 impacts people.

The Wikipedia page is a good starting point

As for other vitamins, D3+K2 here as well .
And 2 Brazil nuts for 'brain power' can't prove it's helped, but they taste good and are rather filling, surprisingly.
Google selenium & Brazil nuts

Good luck finding the info you're looking for .
If you take B12, it is worth looking at coupling it up with fish oils - especially for brain health. Patrick Holford has a fab presentation on YouTube from the Public Health Collaboration Conference. Well worth the watch.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This one ?

Fascinating.
Jump start for those interested at 15 minutes, and a must watch at 17 minutes so far .

Just watched it all.
Fascinating.

And OMG what a turnaround for the patient at 39 minutes.

I'll be delving much more into Patrick's & the other named videos.

Thank you for posting @AndBreathe .

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This one ?

Fascinating.
Jump start for those interested at 15 minutes, and a must watch at 17 minutes so far .

Just watched it all.
Fascinating.

I watched this on live feed in May 2023 when conference happened I paid for a virtual ticket and took on board for my OH who has had cognition issues since November 2022. We took it on board using Vitamin B12 drops under tounge and high dose liquid wild fish oils and the change is incredible I'd say he was back to where he was before cognition issues became noticeable so Id really recommend. I take smaller doses of both too and notice my moods are significantly more upbeat. Expensive habit buying good quality B12 drops and fish oils but I wouldn't want to be without especially for my OH who I was increasingly concerned about.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This one ?

Fascinating.

Just watched it all.
Fascinating.

Ah, Patrick Holford. I wonder if he is still flogging Aloe Vera, bee pollen and other related potions for that big international alternative potions company. Not saying that this is a bad thing but for Omega fatty acids you need to pick your supplement (DHA/EPA ratio and how much). I would be cautious about the industry sweet spot - they get that from what’s in fish. I stick to 2:1 in food. Oh, you might like to look up ALA EPA/DHA conversion in the body.

• Useful

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched this on live feed in May 2023 when conference happened I paid for a virtual ticket and took on board for my OH who has had cognition issues since November 2022. We took it on board using Vitamin B12 drops under tounge and high dose liquid wild fish oils and the change is incredible I'd say he was back to where he was before cognition issues became noticeable so Id really recommend. I take smaller doses of both too and notice my moods are significantly more upbeat. Expensive habit buying good quality B12 drops and fish oils but I wouldn't want to be without especially for my OH who I was increasingly concerned about.
Did you have blood test to look at your B12 levels? If they are low you can get treatment in the form of tablets or injections through your GP. Glad to read that the changes were positive.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This one ?

Fascinating.

Just watched it all.
Fascinating.

That’s the one. I have done a big long haul in the meantime, so apologies for not confirming earlier.

There are some very sales bit in the content, but he is a businessman, and not posting on our forum.

• Winner