sweet magazine

shellyj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
drugs,achool,smoking,
Hi I am shelly from vancouver canada I just wonder if any of you have read the sweet magazine for diabetics from the uk as I just found a copy over at my local book store is it any good please let me thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Caligula ?? Was tempted to edit this - but it did amuse me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Two of us have contributed to "Sweet." I haven't seen recent copies but I wasn't impressed.

Right to reply thread

Trinkwasser

Excellent thread, despite the deleted posts.

by Administrator on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 pm

I’m afraid we don’t have either the resources or the remit to organise reader trials of therapies or lifestyle measures

- This stands out for me... they may not have those resources but we do. I'm going to give this some thought as the cause seems very sincere. Challenging the orthodoxy is the hardest thing to do, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do so.

What happened to the Dan who wrote that? Why was he replaced?

wallycorker

I bought Issue 7 of 'Sweet' magazine and liked it so much that I've subscribed for the next twelve months.

What's more, I bought the five back issues that are still available (Issue 3 sold out).

A much better read and presentation than Diabetes UK's 'Balance' magazine. I recommend it to people.

There is a special offer on subscription for 3 or 6 issues (six or twelve months) for £7.95 or £14.95 respectively for UK customers. Overseas rates see website.

The magazine can be ordered here:

http://www.uniquemagazines.co.uk/magazi ... scriptions

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Funny this post should pop up on the board today. I have just received my trial copy which I have now read and have found very good. Slickly presented with a number of articles aimed at Diabetics along with food recipes and other general stuff. A very good read. Published bi-monthly as is Balance.

There is a letter in there from our own IanD and mention is made of Fergus' achievements as well.

Whilst the publishers shy away from actually endorsing a low carbohydrate approach they do state that Fergus and Ian's approach leaves food for thought (low carb) - not a condemnation at all.

I too have subscribed.

Ken

descartesmum

I wrote a letter to the editor about an article I read about and it was published. They then gave the author of the article a chance to reply and I got angrier and wanted to respond to her biased and patronising reply. I didn't. And I also didn't get the book they said they would send for a published letter. :(

I have entered the comps and won a food scale.

Carol

yipster29

I've bought the last 2 and really enjoyed it! found it had interesting articles and had some stuff for type 1 as well as just type 2. :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
As the magazine & the earlier thread have disppeared, I will post my letter to Sweet:

Fergus Craig & his Reduced Carbohydrate Diet
My Experience

I am 69, type 2 for 8 years, controlled by diet & Metformin.

I was please to read Fergus' success story, as I have got to know him through the Internet forum where he is a moderator: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/

I was however surprised & disappointed to read the comment by Azmina Govindji who in effect said, “Don't try this at home.” There is obviously a concern that increasing proteins (as in the “Atkins” diet) to compensate for a carbohydrate reduction could cause long term health problems, but that is not what we are talking about.

In my experience, this diet change has resulted in a very rapid improvement in general health & reversal of diabetic complications that were ruining my life. I strongly recommend that it is given professional consideration. “Sweet Magazine” could usefully organise a readership trial to get very wide experience.

I joined the forum in April this year, when I began to experience intense muscle pain that threatened my mobility & even my driving. I felt that my active life was over, especially as I have been playing tennis at club standard. The pain was particularly intense when I was getting out of bed. My doctor prescribed quinine for cramp, but this had no effect. I think he hoped it wasn't diabetic neuropathy & would go away. I also had the beginning of retinopathy.

I needed to do something, or accept that the progressive nature of diabetes was taking its toll. The doctor considered that my diabetes was adequately controlled with HbA1c of 6.7. My diet was then the recommended low GI, complex carbohydrate diet as recommended by the NHS & Diabetes UK. My wife, as a heart patient, was recommended to follow the same diet.

In May I started a reduction in my carbohydrate consumption, simply reducing them to a small portion – about 1/3 of my previous amount, while increasing my vegetable consumption & to a lesser extent, protein. I ceased to have a supper cereal (Weetabix or Shredded Wheat.) I eat nuts & cheese as snacks.

Immediately my overnight fasting sugars dropped from around 6.7 to around 5.7, my muscle pain started to improve & my weight began to drop. In three months I was fully active again. The pain has gone & my tennis is up to the standard of much younger players, though I won't reach Chris Hooshyar's standard. Driving now presents no problems.

Over those three months, my weight dropped from 13 st to 12 st, my chronic tiredness greatly reduced. Blood tests in August showed a reduction in cholesterol from 5.4 in January to 4.3 & improvements in the lipids profile. My cholesterol at diagnosis was 7.6, so diet alone has reduced the total by 40%. Surprisingly the HBA stayed at 6.8, but that may be early days, with my body using the lost weight to replenish the blood cells. My blood pressure dropped from 135/75 to 125/75. I take no medication for cholesterol nor blood pressure. I have reduced the metformin from 3x500 to 2.

There is an internet forum where this is discussed & both scientific considerations & experience are reported. Health professionals make their contributions. There is wide agreement on the forum that the standard advice from Diabetes UK & the NHS is in fact wrong in recommending a diet based on complex carbohydrates. This is proved by experience & regular measurements.