The results are in.....!

Buzzer81

Hi all,

I joined this forum about four months ago when I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic with an hba1c of 91. This was a retest after measuring 89 the week before. My doctor couldn’t believe it as I assume he thought a 38 year old who’s not overly obese is not likely to be diabetic!!!!

Finding this forum was really an unbelievable resource with access to people who are so knowledgable and reassuring in a time when your mind and body can feel a little off balance. It is thanks to you that I could begin my new journey as a t2 diabetic.

I have followed a low carb diet for this period but have hardly exercised at all due to an injury. Although initially it was difficult to find the balance, thanks to testing with a home blood glucose kit I feel I have identified what foods work for me and what foods don’t. I still have much to learn around this but it feels like it’s getting easier. On top of this, my trousers now fall down in the most inconvenient moments, as I have lost 2.5 stones and my belts are too big! I am almost in the healthy bmi range for my height..... which I had long considered an impossibility due to my natural big boned composition!!!!

Anyway, today I had a retest, and the doctor has already text me to say my hba1c today was 46!

Needless to say I am feeling rather chuffed but remain determined to get my levels down to below 42 within the next 3 months. I hope exercise will help me get there.

I haven’t learnt my cholesterol or triglycerides results yet but I am also interested to see how they have changed.

I just wanted to thank those people on here who impart so much knowledge and experienced feedback to new members, it has been so gratefully received by me! And to show off a bit as I’m feeling a bit proud!

My advice to anyone in my shoes...
* read Jason Fung ‘The diabetes code’
* ditch as many carbs as you can get away with!
* buy a home blood glucose tester. These results will show you how you are getting on and encourage you to keep at it!!!
* lastly, you can make a change. And you can do it very quickly!!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant result! Well done!
And don't forget to congratulate yourself as well as others - you did all the hard work :D

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely fabulous! Keep up the good work!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I joined this forum about four months ago when I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic with an hba1c of 91. This was a retest after measuring 89 the week before. My doctor couldn’t believe it as I assume he thought a 38 year old who’s not overly obese is not likely to be diabetic!!!!

Finding this forum was really an unbelievable resource with access to people who are so knowledgable and reassuring in a time when your mind and body can feel a little off balance. It is thanks to you that I could begin my new journey as a t2 diabetic.

I have followed a low carb diet for this period but have hardly exercised at all due to an injury. Although initially it was difficult to find the balance, thanks to testing with a home blood glucose kit I feel I have identified what foods work for me and what foods don’t. I still have much to learn around this but it feels like it’s getting easier. On top of this, my trousers now fall down in the most inconvenient moments, as I have lost 2.5 stones and my belts are too big! I am almost in the healthy bmi range for my height..... which I had long considered an impossibility due to my natural big boned composition!!!!

Anyway, today I had a retest, and the doctor has already text me to say my hba1c today was 46!

Needless to say I am feeling rather chuffed but remain determined to get my levels down to below 42 within the next 3 months. I hope exercise will help me get there.

I haven’t learnt my cholesterol or triglycerides results yet but I am also interested to see how they have changed.

I just wanted to thank those people on here who impart so much knowledge and experienced feedback to new members, it has been so gratefully received by me! And to show off a bit as I’m feeling a bit proud!

My advice to anyone in my shoes...
* read Jason Fung ‘The diabetes code’
* ditch as many carbs as you can get away with!
* buy a home blood glucose tester. These results will show you how you are getting on and encourage you to keep at it!!!
* lastly, you can make a change. And you can do it very quickly!!!!
I'm so proud of you, well done!

Reactions: Buzzer81

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Enjoyed reading your results, well done and great pass on advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Well done. Don't forget to tell the GP/nurse that it was the result of the low-carb diet. Many in the NHS still don't believe it's the best approach to control both BS and weight.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely spectacular results, @Buzzer81. Lots of hard work, I am sure, and therefore well-deserved. Be proud of your achievement.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your results - amazing progress in four months. Great too that you achieved it despite having difficulty with exercise. Sounds like as you move forward you’ll be able to progress even more. Wonderful results and time to celebrate with some low carb treats!

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough that is almost exactly the amount of weight I lost as a skinny-ish type 2! Congrats on your success! Especially in such uncertain times as these, it cannot have been easy. Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the positivity. My 4 months checks are coming up and while I'm hopeful I dont think they will be as good as yours.
Of the 4 pointers I have implemented 2,3 and 4. Fungs book arrived today so that will be the full set. This forum (ie the people and info) has been invaluable.

Buzzer81

as so you should :) interested to hear what low carb foods worked for you and why (if you're happy to share)?

More than happy.

Initially I went almost zero carbs which I found was too much to handle.... it left me feeling very weak and lacking in energy so I decided to bring back some carbs - but on my terms! I would say I range in my daily intake from 20g per day to 100g. It does depend on what meal we have and who’s cooking!

The carbs I eat now are mainly whole meal fusilli pasta, some ryvita (for lunch with soft goats cheese, tomatoes and olive oil) bananas (for breakfast with Greek yoghurt and sprinkle of nuts on top).

I eat a lot of nuts now, they are a good and simple way to snack and are filling. I also eat a lot of dark chocolate now. Probably too much but it’s my only vice at the moment!!!! Green and blacks is my favourite but Lindt is also lovely in the 85% cocoa variety.... I tried 90% but my tastebuds aren’t quite ready for that!

I’ve also eaten a lot of fish, so cod, smoked haddock, mackerel etc. I pretty much also now slap an egg on everything, so most meals get an egg on top! Also, I now use large vine tomatoes a lot. I fry or grill them and they taste amazing. I know they are carbs but for me they don’t seem to affect me too much and I love them soo much!!!

Lastly, I also followed advice on here and eat a lot of bacon with avocado as a meal now. I also eat a lot of olives and find that if you get a big old jar of them, you can just add them to most meals to help flesh it out if you need to.

Lastly, cauliflower rice was a game changer discovery. I get the frozen bags from Tesco’s (when they are in stock, which has been an issue). I love love love it! Always hated cauliflower and we never ate it before.... but this stuff is awesome. It has the texture of rice and Taste is mild so it just goes with any meal really. Takes two mins to microwave and you can use it in a stir fry so it’s very flexible.

I do feel a lot of my success is down to how poor my diet choices were previously.... knowledge is power and I feel armed with the right information now to help my body function better. Lockdown has certainly helped remove a lot of temptations but it has also been very tough.... will be interesting to see how I deal with getting back to ‘normal’ life and things like eating out and lunches from shops will affect me. I feel the bubble of lockdown has become my routine and it will inevitably be a test to establish further good habits.... and I need to not allow complacency to creep in. I feel confident though as i actually don’t feel like I’m on a diet as I enjoy all my food so much! And when you know it’s good for your body.... it tastes even better!!!!

Low point was probability when Nando’s started delivering again so I bought everyone what they wanted.... not wanting to miss out, I got myself a WHOLE chicken! That was it, just a whole chicken and i just ate that as a meal....!!!! It was amazing!!!

Buzzer81

Thanks for the positivity. My 4 months checks are coming up and while I'm hopeful I dont think they will be as good as yours.
Of the 4 pointers I have implemented 2,3 and 4. Fungs book arrived today so that will be the full set. This forum (ie the people and info) has been invaluable.

Great work!!!! Read the book and you’ll be on an unstoppable path to success!!!! You may be surprised with your results... do you log your blood sugar scores on MySugr app?

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low point was probability when Nando’s started delivering again so I bought everyone what they wanted.... not wanting to miss out, I got myself a WHOLE chicken! That was it, just a whole chicken and i just ate that as a meal....!!!! It was amazing!!!
I don't think this is a low point I think this is about "knowledge is power". From the choices available (even though it feels nuts) this worked for you. I find I'm rethinking so much about what is healthy and what isn't. Your enthusiasm is contagious :) thank you!