The Yogurt Effect (on me)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I usually have a fried breakfast of bacon and mushrooms plus one small slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed, or Livlife bread. Apart from my BG dropping to 3 if I do more than about a 4mile walk, I'm fine. This morning I decided to have yogurt. 100g of Greek yogurt, 25g of blueberries, a few walnut halves plus a level tsp of linseed totalled about the same carbs as my fried brekkie and made a delicious change, great.....BUT, a good walk and a little over two hours later I felt lousy. On checking my BG I found to my dismay, it was 10.6! Please does anyone have any idea as to why my body has done this and apart from giving up yogurt, what can I do? (BG came down to 6.4 after six hours)

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Hi Beachbag. I'm only new to all this but the range 3-10.6 is quite big. I guess you took multiple BG readings to double check ? Certainly interested in seeing what answers you get on this post.

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Try similar tomorrow no walk see how it is at 2hrs
:) If I have yogurt for breakfast again tomorrow and don't walk, a) my BG will surely go even higher and b) my BTerrier will be jumping the fence, lol.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I wouldn't take too much notice off a rogue one-off reading Beachbag. Sometimes diabetes just doesn't play fair and throws a curve ball just to keep you on your toes. If it happens again, investigate further but if you're usually stable, I wouldn't let it worry you.
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi Beachbag. I'm only new to all this but the range 3-10.6 is quite big. I guess you took multiple BG readings to double check ? Certainly interested in seeing what answers you get on this post.
Yes Joe, checked and double checked. I simply can't work out why the big spike....unless it's to do with the fruit. Tho' Berries are about the only fruit which don't usually cause a problem :(

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
The only thing that I can think of is that you went a little low and your body compensated by releasing the livers glycogen stores into your blood stream...Strange old beast this diabetes lark at times eh?:(

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I wouldn't take too much notice off a rogue one-off reading Beachbag. Sometimes diabetes just doesn't play fair and throws a curve ball just to keep you on your toes. If it happens again, investigate further but if you're usually stable, I wouldn't let it worry you.
Mo

Thanks Mo.....maybe give it another go tomorrow, was such a nice breakfast, lol

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
The only thing that I can think of is that you went a little low and your body compensated by releasing the livers glycogen stores into your blood stream...Strange old beast this diabetes lark at times eh?:(
Ah, that's another possibility! Thank you Paul :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your on insulin for which I haven't much knowledge so this may not apply to you but I am going to answer anyway, this can happen to me if I go low and have a liver dump - I go into the 8s or 9s and it takes me all day to come down - far longer than if I get an 8 from eating something I shouldn't I can get back down within a couple of hrs.

Your usual breakfast may be about the same carbs but the fats slow down the rise, berries will realease sugar quicker for me than burgen with bacon etc - just a thought,

If you have the same tomorrow with a walk try testing at 30min intervals to see if that's the case

Like I said this is only my experience and I'm not on insulin but I am on 40mg gliclizide in the morning and evening so have to look out for lows

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah Paul you type much faster than me and I always use three words where one would do!

My smileys aren't working :-(

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
The liver kick out was my thought but thought l would be jumped on for saying that hence l suggested trying without the walk. A BT can handle one day no walk, our neighbors is walked by my other half and can survive a weekend no walk walk or no walk he is a pain in the butt :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thats weird, was it full fat yogurt? i have this everyday and its great for my bgs

look forward to your next results, i like the half hour testing idea

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Mo

I'm getting an awful lot of curved balls on a daily basis, seems to be part of a daily diabetic life

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Lovinglife, I was wondering about the fry up v berries but couldn't work out the rationale until you posted :), thank you.

Andy, I copied my breakfast from you. Going to give it another go, but possibly need to add some more fat :***:, and test, test, test!

MID, I thought you'd latched onto my BG being low after fry up, not the high, post yogurt one, so my apologies for misunderstanding....Yup BTs can be a pain, but a lovely one, lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
if the yogurt is low fat it may have sugar in it but im sure you know that :)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I'm getting an awful lot of curved balls on a daily basis, seems to be part of a daily diabetic life

Alan, all things considered I've been pretty lucky and am managing to keep all the balls rolling on a level pitch.... Until this morning! You seem to have multiple problems (I've seen your meds list) so it's even more difficult for you. Good luck ;)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had same thing happen to me today. Had Fage greek yoghurt, about 6 raspberries, 8 blueberries, a couple of macadamia nuts. Ate it at 7:00 am, by 10am blood was still at 9.8.
I normally have a protein shake for breakfast, or occasionally a couple of slices of livlife toast. Went down the yoghurt route because I felt like I needed a change. I'm not doing it again!