1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

There are many "WHY"

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by luna50, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luna50

luna50 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An addenda analogy
    An analogy between the LCHF diet and the Normal diet can be with the 2-stroke gasoline engines, where The gasoline is like the carbs and the oil is like the fat.
    There is the balance between the gasoline and the oil. Such should be by the humans.
    I know someone who eat this LCHF diet. It is my dog. He love fat and meat.
    There can be found the differences in the Veterinary literature between the physiology off the dog and the physiology off the human.

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The difference between a 2 stroke engine and a human is that the two stroke engine fails if it tries to run off only the oil. The human, however, adapts and simply shifts to a different fuel source.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. luna50

The engine fails very slowly (because of problems with tribology) if the oil is not there, but the engine fails PROMPTLY if there is not a gasoline:)

4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Whereas in a human, there is no failure in either state...

5. Administrator

Administrator Family member · Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Administrator

If you're not sure who Dr Bernstein is, it's definitely worth a read of this and his first book.

6. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

7. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I genuinely feel sad when people who are not managing their type 2 diabetes very well (i.e. insulin and multiple meds) come on the forum and tell me, who is successfully managing my diabetes with only diet) that the way I'm eating is unhealthy and that the way they are eating is healthy. I'm also baffled by such people. They'd rather be "right" with poor health than be open to the possibility that they are wrong and the possibility they could improve their health dramatically by changing their diet. Fortunately, (as far as I can see) the vast majority of type 2s that join the forum notice a pattern of people posting about how a LCHF diet has greatly improved their blood glucose control, many to levels that are considered to be non-diabetic, and give it a go.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. SunnyExpat

It's interesting you measure it purely by medication?
    I believe many on here are on meds, but it even though it's measured as a failure by yourself, for us, it seems quite successful.
    I doubt I'd stop metformin, simply for a tick on my personal measurement chart, even though I reversed my diabetes by very low calorie, and stay on a healthy mediterranean, healthy unsaturated fats diet now, as do many others.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

All combustion engines need oil for lubrication otherwise they seize up and stop. However, the diesel engine does not require petrol (carbs in your analogy), and it works quite efficiently without it. Same with the body, except it is not so efficient and needs 3 fuels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Whilst your quaintly put description of the mouth>>> stomach path is mostly as per the text book, it stops there, and then jumps to conclusions that you suddenly assert without any supporting evidence, and which I disagree with. I will refer you to a specific discussion thread which investigated the effects of a high fat LC diet and its effects on cholesterol, and this contains some very good links to recent scientific studies that also do not support your asserted conclusions.

There is too much info to repeat here. Please read the thread for youtself.
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/will-higher-fat-harm-my-good-cholesterol-readings.99657/

11. SunnyExpat

Diesel
    Noisey, smells, doesn't start well, and lots of lies have been told about it?

12. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

You describe my missus to a T

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. luna50

In your comment you wander off into a lot of nonsense, words without context. That is your opinion of my simple description how the Fat travels from the mouth into the Fat tissues. If I say to you something: "This colour is WJITE" then your answer will be "NO, it is not White, it is BLACK" . I am sorry to say but communication with you is just pure "Margaritas ante porcos". It is not rude, it is international aphorisms for people in the situation like you.

There are no many people who knows how the fat enter in the organism. I nave asked you to make an description of that, but you cud not do that.
    The point for the letter has been to show what happen if someone eat to much Fat.
    This Fat will be injected direct in front of the heart and will lubricate all the vascular system and the lung's.
    Carbohydrates and proteins enter the organism by the Portal vein into the liver. The Fat enter the organism by the Lymph Chylus vessels direct in the blood circulation.

Be happy

14. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a 21 year old SGL5 Diesel engine in my jap import van.. It's never let me down. :D

15. Jaylee

Staff Member

Wow.

So your pretty handy with a spanner too, then? :cool:

http://www.youngsgarage.uk.com/Oil and Engines 4.htm

16. Jaylee

Staff Member

It is quite possible to use a 60 derv 40 veg oil mix in the tank? Even a 50/50 mix in a hotter climate? Easing off the preportion in the cold...
    That's with the SGL5 Mazda Bongo 2.5Litre Diesel engine. Which is not unlike the Ford Ranger's
    Though you can smell like a chip van. Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. SunnyExpat

I've got a 52 year old petrol, same applies.

But I would bet the 21 year old diesel stinks more, and you take longer to get the smell off your hands when you fill it up.

18. Jaylee

Staff Member

I'm not sure what part of Eroupe you live in. But since "Brexit", every garage now has a lad in dungarees, with a cheery smile that will "fill her up" & clean the windscreen....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Margaritas ante porcos = watch out for that pizza effect. It can play havoc with your blood sugar levels :dead:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jaylee

Staff Member

Agreed. Even for a T1. It's like an Italian vendetta... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook