This has NOTHING to do with Diabetes......

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Is the World Cup something to do with football?

I ask because the guy 5 doors down has hung a St George's Cross flag out of his bedroom window, and last time he did that, it was a football thing.

If so, I don't want to worry you, but the flag disappeared after about a week, so I don't think England did very well.
Is the Flag gone yet ?
Not even a week this time :playful:

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I fell asleep, missed the last 20 minutes, shameful. Still Joel Campbell is looking good, I managed to stay awake for all of that match

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i was awake for hours, i had to watch a film afterwards because i was so tense, didnt think id ever get tired, then got woke up at 9 with eggs and bacon in bed for fathers day, could have done with a couple more hours but lovely

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Disappointing result, started so well but as ever our poor defending let us down :(

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
If I'm honest I thought we were awful, again. 1st half we were playing some pretty good attacking football but defensively we were shocking, and as for the 2nd half, well, maybe the least said about that the better. I don't understand Hodgsons decision to play Rooney wide, if there's no place for him up front don't play him, play a wide player out wide.
Apart from the goal we didn't really look like scoring, Italy scored two, had one cleared off the line, hit the post and hit the bar all without putting in any real effort.
Being defensively weak doesn't really matter if you're scoring goals and as long as you score more than your opponent you're going to win games.
After Costa Rica beating Uruguay, last night was a must win game...

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yikes i thought we were quite good, i thought we looked like scoring all the game, shows how much i know about football lol but i dont understand why rooney was on the pitch at all

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yikes i thought we were quite good, i thought we looked like scoring all the game, shows how much i know about football lol but i dont understand why rooney was on the pitch at all
Because he is still one of our best players, but he does need to be played in his best position, which is not wide. I can tell you're a Chelsea fan.:)

Reactions: 6 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

It's just my opinion Andy, most of the pundits (except Shearer) were saying England played well o_O
Rooney needs to play in an attacking role not out wide, he's wasted there

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agreed about Rooney playing wide, but what a cross to set up Sturridge's goal :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed about Rooney playing wide, but what a cross to set up Sturridge's goal :)
Yes agreed, that's the reason I have always feared Rooney when I have been to Old Trafford as an away fan. Though as an away fan it's usually, though not always, better when he's played wide! ;) :) I never went to the 8-2 thrashing, I gave my ticket to my son's girlfriend, then Arsenal gave us all a refund. :)

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Japan were rubbish. South Korea is my team to watch now.

Never understood why Rooney on the pitch either. He's just not good enough. Which tournament has he ever been good enough!

Thought England showed promise and a new generation in the making, but not this tournament. And think of the ones injured who couldnt make it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe that the new generation that is now coming through are better technically than we have had previously, as a nation in football we suffer in high humidity and temperature. We play a high tempo 'English' type game, which does not suit international football tactics, where possession is key to game management. We do not have enough international class players to,mount a real challenge to the top six in the world.
We are currently ranked in the third tier in the draw, that is why we are playing against Italy, Uruguay, who are similarly ranked.
The hunger of the media and the press 'hype' up the team, and then when we don't progress to the later stages, we feel let down, that's why some knowledgable pundits are playing down our chances.
To pick out individual players who do not play England's current shape, formation and tactics, for their home club is looking for scapegoats. The Italy defeat was down to not solving the midfield problems we always have against Pirlo and co.
Many of our so called 'best' players are incapable of playing in the bigger competitions outside of their clubs comfort zones. The media and press almost pick the team, due to whom the players the clubs play for.
There is also one or two players who cannot be dropped no matter how poor they are for the fear of the reaction of fans or media favourites.
I don't believe that England will win the World Cup ever again, but if we can bring through our best talents to play in the best league, consistently, and not burn them out. Then we will get close in 2018. We have no chance if it's held in the Middle East in 2022.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watching South Korea - if this doesnt raise my bg with the worry ... :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I saw a little of the USA v some other team ( can't remember who, as my eyes were firmly fixed on USA:)) and they scored after 31 seconds,yay amazing. So, I've changed my mind, still don't mind any Nordic team winning as first stated, but now I'm adding USA as well:D

England.................o_O

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nosher, I agree in general with most of your post, except for the two points below. I'm not trying to start a row, just giving my opinion :)

To pick out individual players who do not play England's current shape, formation and tactics, for their home club is looking for scapegoats.

Rooney is a central attacking player. Playing him on the left AND expecting him to defend is ridiculous, there are other players in the squad who could have filled this role far more effectively. My point is, if the tactics and gameplan mean someone else plays in his usual role, why play him at all? Have him on the bench and play a left sided wide player on the left....

Italy's second goal was started down the left, admittedly Rooney wasn't playing there then but Welbeck was and he had pushed forward. A ridiculous situation.

The Italy defeat was down to not solving the midfield problems we always have against Pirlo and co.

I could agree with this statement if Pirlo was an unknown quantity. We were knocked out of the Euro's 2 years ago because Pirlo controlled the midfield (yes I know we lost on penalties), he was given so much space on Saturday it was embarrassing, and guess what, he controlled the midfield.....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
s.korea v russia well thats 90 minutes i wont get back, but hat off to the commentators keeping up with the korean names throughout, must be exhausting, you know they are drinking lots of beer right now

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people