This has NOTHING to do with Diabetes......

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
s.korea v russia well thats 90 minutes i wont get back, but hat off to the commentators keeping up with the korean names throughout, must be exhausting, you know they are drinking lots of beer right now

I was playing in a darts match, the Russia v s. Korea game was on but I wasn't paying much attention. Watched most of the Brazil v Mexico game though, I was surprised that Mexico didn't nick it at the end.

I drink strongbow and it lowers my BG every time, if I drink too much of it I end up below 4 and acting like a right t*t! I stay low all of the next day too, I think I need to stay p*ssed to keep my BG under control :confused:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol staying p****d is useful for many reasons :)

i enjoyed the brasil game :) i find myself wanting them to win, due to the passion of their fans (assuming england dont of course.... which they will)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Word edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
It IS useful, wonder if I can get strongbow on prescription I've got another 4-6 weeks off work..... :pompous:

I like Brazil and their passion, I think this is a poor Brazil team though....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher, I agree in general with most of your post, except for the two points below. I'm not trying to start a row, just giving my opinion :)

Rooney is a central attacking player. Playing him on the left AND expecting him to defend is ridiculous, there are other players in the squad who could have filled this role far more effectively. My point is, if the tactics and gameplan mean someone else plays in his usual role, why play him at all? Have him on the bench and play a left sided wide player on the left....

Italy's second goal was started down the left, admittedly Rooney wasn't playing there then but Welbeck was and he had pushed forward. A ridiculous situation.

I could agree with this statement if Pirlo was an unknown quantity. We were knocked out of the Euro's 2 years ago because Pirlo controlled the midfield (yes I know we lost on penalties), he was given so much space on Saturday it was embarrassing, and guess what, he controlled the midfield.....
If you have two sitting midfielders, Gerard and Henderson, you have them to cover in front of the back four, including wide, what we didn't do was protect Baines, if our left back gets isolated someone from the back four has to cover behind, the left sitting midfielder should either drop into the back four or go across to help. This with the centre backs problems of dropping deeper because of the threat of Pirlos passing ability to Ballotelli stymied our defensive shape. For the players and coaches knowledge especially Gerard who tactically was shocking.
We want Rooney to be a threat, not defending and I think that if you play him in that role, in that formation then you will get what we had against Italy.
The fact that we never solved the problem all game says too much of our tactical awareness and the unwillingness to drop or sub our so called established players.
When we gave up possession, the attacking midfielder should have sat on Pirlo and disrupted their passing in that area, we didn't do it, our game plan is for counter attacking style, (because we can't keep the ball) and we needed to smother the ability of their playmaker, once again the tactical awareness and game management was extremely poor.
If you look at all the papers and the media, there is a call for Rooney, to be played in the number ten role against Uruguay. What was wrong with Stirling? I would have thought that the reason that the positions played against Italy was that Rooney would track and work back more than Stirling, so why change because of the media!
I have said for years that English managers are more or less puppets of the media and the pressure is too much for the FA to ignore and persuade the incumbents to play the. Fashionable favourites rather than merit.
I do not not have an agenda, because I support a League 2 club. But to have the squad made up from a few top clubs in the premiership is an insult to all the upcoming starlets who are in the u21s, u20s, etc. if Stirling played for say Sunderland, would he be in the full squad or in the u21s?
With the high temperatures and humidity, our 'best team' will be still feeling the effects of the Italy game. Unfortunately there will be too many that will have to play another ninety minutes in a must win game and because that every game is the same there will be too many of them that will tire after an hour. That will influence the outcome even if we beat Uruguay of the Costa Rica game and subsequent games if we progress.

As you can see, I love football, and I can take apart tactics and formations, shapes and that in football you never stop learning.

Modern tactics are constantly changing and any good manager, can get his players to change tactically during a match. If you have watched Liverpool this season, the reason they didn't win the premiership, was because they had game plan A, then when an opposition stopped them and countered they had nothing to answer it and couldn't adapt. They had a great season because they had players scoring for fun and out scored the opposition in most games, but the defensive inconsistencies cost them. They still over attacked even under pressure.

Keep the World Cup discussion going, loved Mexico, their tactics were perfect against the hosts.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, nosher8355, excellent post! This is the reason I prefer to go to games rather than watch on TV - you can see the whole field at once and follow the tactics, not just the ball. I'm not so good at noticing what is going on tactically when I can only see maybe a quarter to half the pitch at once. Yes , I get what you are saying about Henderson and Gerrard. It's the reason I always liked Mathieu Flamini at Arsenal first time round. Everyone else says Arsenal got worse when big names left, to me it was when Flamini left. He worked so hard and when he was holding midfielder the defence had much less pressure on them and were therefore more consistent. No-one else seemed to see it, yet when he came back all the pundits were saying 'who would have thought he was so good'.....well I did, but then I'm not paid to talk about football.

I also agree about adapting tactics. It isn't good enough just to 'play our football', no matter how good that football is, you also need to play to negate the opposition's football too, and that's the part of the game which I love the most. I had a disagreement with my husband because he said Brazil were poor. I agree they are not as good as they once were, but I thought Mexico gave a helping hand in making Brazil look poorer.

Aaarghh, I wish I could say more, I have to go - family crisis.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great post! I thought that the last England Ladies coach,(cannot think of her name) was very good tactically and in game management. I agree about Flamini. Most football watchers only see the strikers and goal scoring midfielders. The defensive midfielder is usually the hardest working and has to be the workhorse of the team. He has to be a complete player covering so many positions and other players mistakes.
Gus Poyet brought Bridcutt from Brighton to Sunderland, no-one has mentioned him in the reason why they had a miracle escape from relegation.
We don't have a natural holding midfielder in the England squad hence because Gerard is in fashion, they have tried to convert him, it is not his game!
You are right about Mexico. Belgium, also changed tactics during the game as it wasn't working and they had to go more direct, with the two subs coming on and scoring.
We never seem to learn that in the big competitions you have to adapt to the opposition tactics and be open to new ideas and embrace change in game management.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you think that Uruguay maybe lactose intolerant?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I don't know enough to recognise the tactics like Nosher and Zand, but I would guess this is one reason why Germany are always worth an each-way bet in any tournament, however unflavoured they might seem at the beginning. And I seem to recall that England did quite well in 1966 with at least four outfield players from middling 1st division sides ...

I'm looking forward to Spain v Chile this evening (supporting Chile of course - vamos chicos, vamos chicos!) and it will be interesting to see if Spain can (or think they need to) change from their Plan A. Australia shouldn't have a prayer against Holland, but it's a funny game, football ...

As for England coaches pandering too much to the media, isn't that the same everywhere? And we're never going to see the best talent realised with such a low proportion of domestic players in the Premiership.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry this is a little off topic, but I have to express this somewhere or I'll go mad......

Dave Hockaday - Leeds manager!!!!! Please tell me this is a bad dream, I will wake up in a minute. He's not even the best manager Forest Green Rovers have ever had.....that's Jimmy Harvey, (now they did play good football under him.) This is madness. I am going away to try to recover and dream about the Revie years. I think I may have to give up watching football, this hurts.

Marching on together?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
upload_2014-6-18_16-26-26.png

He He:confused:

Reactions: 11 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm sorry this is a little off topic, but I have to express this somewhere or I'll go mad......

Dave Hockaday - Leeds manager!!!!! Please tell me this is a bad dream, I will wake up in a minute. He's not even the best manager Forest Green Rovers have ever had.....that's Jimmy Harvey, (now they did play good football under him.) This is madness. I am going away to try to recover and dream about the Revie years. I think I may have to give up watching football, this hurts.

Marching on together?
You are not the only one, where did that come from? I have family in Leeds and they are stunned to say the least!
My team, had Jimmy Harvey in the midfield and a great player and servent he was, and he should have been our manager at some stage. His illness, shortened his career. He managed the way he played.
Don Revie! I watched his team in the sixties / seventies. He built a great team! Can always remember Billy Bremner with the scar behind his knee, kicking seven kinds of ..............out of the opponents.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are not the only one, where did that come from? I have family in Leeds and they are stunned to say the least!
My team, had Jimmy Harvey in the midfield and a great player and servent he was, and he should have been our manager at some stage. His illness, shortened his career. He managed the way he played.
Don Revie! I watched his team in the sixties / seventies. He built a great team! Can always remember Billy Bremner with the scar behind his knee, kicking seven kinds of ..............out of the opponents.
Yep, those were the days! That's when I first got interested in football. I go to watch Arsenal because the family do, but Leeds are really my team. Joe Jordan, Peter Lorimer, Allan Clarke, Norman Hunter, Paul Reaney .......I was on a school geography field trip in Wales in May 1975. No television. I made so much fuss the teachers let us all listen to the second half of the European Cup Final on a radio. We were robbed. I fell in a lake next day, distraught. Anyway, back later, there's a match to watch.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm, Leeds under Revie - effective certainly, but more than a little, shall we say, robust at times. Loved watching Lorimer though.

(Sanguine has now left the building)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm, Leeds under Revie - effective certainly, but more than a little, shall we say, robust at times. Loved watching Lorimer though.

(Sanguine has now left the building)
Robust? Nah, that was just the fans. One of the best days of my life standing with them in the away end and getting thrown against a metal bar at Villa Park in 1975. My boyfriend at the time refused to let me go to the away end at Birmingham City later that season, so I dumped him. Happy days.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yep, those were the days! That's when I first got interested in football. I go to watch Arsenal because the family do, but Leeds are really my team. Joe Jordan, Peter Lorimer, Allan Clarke, Norman Hunter, Paul Reaney .......I was on a school geography field trip in Wales in May 1975. No television. I made so much fuss the teachers let us all listen to the second half of the European Cup Final on a radio. We were robbed. I fell in a lake next day, distraught. Anyway, back later, there's a match to watch.
Met Paul Reaney whilst on hols at a Haven camp ( primrose Valley) he was doing coaching, had a decent chat with him, nice guy!
Robust! If only, remember the game at Stamford Bridge! It was more like the battle of Stamford Bridge, there wouldn't have been a player on the pitch left, these days! Ha,
Australia did well against the Dutch, didn't they? Unlucky I thought to lose, weird decisions though.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Met Paul Reaney whilst on hols at a Haven camp ( primrose Valley) he was doing coaching, had a decent chat with him, nice guy!
Robust! If only, remember the game at Stamford Bridge! It was more like the battle of Stamford Bridge, there wouldn't have been a player on the pitch left, these days! Ha,
Australia did well against the Dutch, didn't they? Unlucky I thought to lose, weird decisions though.
Yes they did do well, another great match. Cahill's goal - fantastic. Yes weird decisions, but it is the World Cup.
Yes I met Paul Reaney too! At Butlins Bognor, when the kids were little. He was coaching there too, and I had a photo with him. Fantastic ball skills for a defender even though he had left the game years before. Yes a really nice guy.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Who was your childhood football hero? Mine was Alan Ball, he was part of the so called golden trinity of Ball, Kendall, Harvey.
Alan could run forever, and probably covered every blade of grass in the '66 WC Final.