Toast

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
All choose to.. as many have said so often there are no essential dietary carbs. No-one needs any...it's choice.

And in general how dare you presume to know better than them, their health care team's or my information, just because it does not fit the your narrative.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And in general how dare you presume to know better than them, their health care team's or my information, just because it does not fit the your narrative.
It's nothing about my narrative it is a scientific fact. There are no essential dietary carbohydrates.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Nobody anywhere in the world needs carbohydrates. They may well chose to want them.. they may well choose to eat them but they still don't need them.

Oh, so you are that sort of forum person. Never mind.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hehe good luck Gremlim :) did you ever try to convince a born again christian that they didnt have to save the world? Or an ex-smoker that smoking is hard to quit? Well those dont have anything on born again low carbers

Reactions: Daphne917

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@endocrinegremlin You mention your relatives experience hypos. This, to me, infers they are on strong meds such as insulin or Gliclazide-type meds. If this is the case, it would have helped if you had mentioned this. To avoid hypos of course someone needs carbs, but this is not what this thread is about. For dietary nutrition, carbohydrate is not necessary, and I am sure this is what @bulkbiker meant.

To keep my BS levels steady and in normal range, I cannot eat carbs at breakfast. It is protein and fats for me. However, I take no medication.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seems so. But I will still get ruffled if someone hints at my grandad. My diabetes I can take it on the chin for my my grandad not so much.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a simple fact - there are no essential carbohydrates, a human has no need of cereals or starches, sugar is irrelevant - many humans would do a lot better without carbs for a few weeks and then making cautious additions purely for variety and taste, not necessity at all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems so. But I will still get ruffled if someone hints at my grandad. My diabetes I can take it on the chin for my my grandad not so much.
err I didn't mention your grandad or anyone else specifically.... you projected that completely...I stated a simple fact.

Reactions: Ponchu

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@endocrinegremlin You mention your relatives experience hypos. This, to me, infers they are on strong meds such as insulin or Gliclazide-type meds. If this is the case, it would have helped if you had mentioned this. To avoid hypos of course someone needs carbs, but this is not what this thread is about. For dietary nutrition, carbohydrate is not necessary, and I am sure this is what @bulkbiker meant.

To keep my BS levels steady and in normal range, I cannot eat carbs at breakfast. It is protein and fats for me. However, I take no medication.

Well you are mistaken. As many others are on this thread. My granddad has had one hypo in his life as he was being diagnosed after a long period of activity and other emotional stress that I did not want to disclose but it seems the hounds pulled it forth.

However, I only offered another diabetic aid. My grandfather is not up for discussion. I will refrain from talking about him as an experience.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok so clearly I am in the minority here. I did not say anyone went for my granddad especially. But I stated facts of his health, his diet and how he lives his life and it was attacked. It ruffled me. My family has many many diabetics. The type 2s are not under the diets this forum seems to prefer. They are all healthy. We are all different as diabetics and that should be respected. I will step away from this thread now and leave it to the type2s. I thought I could add another aspect given I help manage my granddad's condition with his HCPs. I was wrong. Sorry.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you are mistaken. As many others are on this thread. My granddad has had one hypo in his life as he was being diagnosed after a long period of activity and other emotional stress that I did not want to disclose but it seems the hounds pulled it forth.

However, I only offered another diabetic aid. My grandfather is not up for discussion. I will refrain from talking about him as an experience.

I don't recall mentioning your granddad. You are the one that mentioned him. I merely asked if any of the relatives you said experience hypos were on strong meds that can cause hypos. For many of us that are not on hypo-inducing meds and are T2 with some degree of insulin resistance, starchy carbs are not a good idea for breakfast.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs are not a dietary nutritional necessity.

If someone thinks they 'need' to eat carbs to avoid a hypo, then there are two obvious options:
1 reduce the medication so that hypos are not likely
2 or carry on eating the carbs while medicating at those levels

Option 1 carries a much lower risk of hypos, and uses fewer meds.

Everyone can choose their option.
My choice would be 1
or (if it was practical) to reduce the carb intake to a level were there meds were not required at all.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't recall mentioning your granddad. You are the one that mentioned him. I merely asked if any of the relatives you said experience hypos were on strong meds that can cause hypos. For many of us that are not on hypo-inducing meds and are T2 with some degree of insulin resistance, starchy carbs are not a good idea for breakfast.
I respectfully asked you cease mentioning him. I brought him up, he became conversation. I ask that stops now.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so clearly I am in the minority here. I did not say anyone went for my granddad especially. But I stated facts of his health, his diet and how he lives his life and it was attacked. It ruffled me. My family has many many diabetics. The type 2s are not under the diets this forum seems to prefer. They are all healthy. We are all different as diabetics and that should be respected. I will step away from this thread now and leave it to the type2s. I thought I could add another aspect given I help manage my granddad's condition with his HCPs. I was wrong. Sorry.

there are many on here who need some carbs in their lives, for various reasons, often due to conditions unrelated to Diabetes, or to the way our own bodies react to diabetes. We are all different.

Some on here refuse to accept or acknowledge that their way of managing their bodies is not going to work for others. Dont let it bother you : )

Reactions: Daphne917

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Don't you just love this forum?
You don't need carb's
Oh yes you do,
Oh no you don't.
It's behind you etc......
Good job it's pantomime season.

For simple people a simple black and white solution is called for.
For people with complicated body requirements a more complex colourful solution is required.

Reactions: Yellredder