Toast

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Wow. These responses.

I am sure you and your medical professionals have talked about it.

Some can eat toast, some can't. Some should. Some shouldn't. Some eat it anyway.

You do you.

Every topping on toast has its own reaction. Just be aware of it.

My type 2 relatives all need to start their day with X carbs. Some have one piece of bread, another has carb containing fruit and one yogurt. Be aware of your needs and remember no one on this site is an expert in YOUR diabetes.
Like this response, but I would add for those low carbing / keto there is around a 90% familiarity of what can "technically" work with what can be eaten. I would say the other 10% is made up of likes / don't likes or not agreeable with the phenotype.

I think it is important/ very important that the difference between what works for one and doesn't for another is often choice, such as that is too bitter or I don't like Brussels, this is different to the option not working per se, such as an intolerance to dairy.

I watched a program earlier with one of the master chef winners (The Best Cheistmas Food Ever), every savoury dish had dollops of sugar and in one they just kept adding, this for me was indicative of the so called normal eating we are all subject to.

Reactions: Diane_56

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like this response, but I would add for those low carbing / keto there is around a 90% familiarity of what can "technically" work with what can be eaten. I would say the other 10% is made up of likes / don't likes or not agreeable with the phenotype.

I think it is important/ very important that the difference between what works for one and doesn't for another is often choice, such as that is too bitter or I don't like Brussels, this is different to the option not working per se, such as an intolerance to dairy.

I watched a program earlier with one of the master chef winners (The Best Cheistmas Food Ever), every savoury dish had dollops of sugar and in one they just kept adding, this for me was indicative of the so called normal eating we are all subject to.
So right what you have put

M

Member496333

I have started having some nuts and Berry's with Greek yoghurt seems better o my sugar levels then toast

That’s because bread is glucose the moment enzymes start breaking it down in your mouth.

Glad you’ve found an alternative that works for you :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s because bread is glucose the moment enzymes start breaking it down in your mouth.

I would be inclined to agree with this.

... Or at least when it hits the stomach. I've lifted myself out of mild hypos (caused by basal insulin.) with just plain bread. ;)

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wash your mouth out with butter!

Nothing wrong with fried eggs so long as they’re cooked in natural fats and not industrial waste product “vegetable” oils :D
No don't like fried eggs boiled or scrambled

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody anywhere in the world needs carbohydrates. They may well chose to want them.. they may well choose to eat them but they still don't need them.
I think need is about how people have to live Without starchy carbs millions in the world would die of starvation carbs are an essential food source because they do not have anything else and that is need not choice. People have eaten carbs for centuries and they kept them alive and you can't say no one needs carbs because for many the only choice is eat them or die

M

Member496333

In fairness I think bulkbiker was probably referring to the biological need for carbohydrate (or lack of it) rather than any social or financial factors :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think need is about how people have to live Without starchy carbs millions in the world would die of starvation carbs are an essential food source because they do not have anything else and that is need not choice. People have eaten carbs for centuries and they kept them alive and you can't say no one needs carbs because for many the only choice is eat them or die

As @Jim Lahey says
I am using need in the sense that we need dietary fats and protein as without them we will die.
i.e. we need air without it we will suffocate and die.
In that sense we do not need dietary carbohydrates. Does that help?
I am not making judgement calls on what anyone chooses to eat through financial necessity or desire.
I don't think I could make it any clearer than that. It is also scientific fact.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As with everything to do with diet, opinion in both the scientific and the lay population are profoundly split.
This is relatively balanced, if simplistic
https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-dietitian-can-you-survive-without-carbs/
I know from personal experience and years of testing that for my body
a) net carbs consistently below 20g daily or above 50g daily are bad for my diabetic control
b) without a good amount of insoluble fibre ( another but largely indigestable carbohydrate) my digestive health suffers badly with bloating, pain and other less mentionable symptoms
Because of this personal knowledge I keep my carbs in the 35-50g daily range and my fibre between 20-30g daily and ignore other advice
Edited to remove typos

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkorchid

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In many cases the lowest ranks plant the food and tend it, then gather up the crops and have no say in how it is distributed - or - in many cases exported to bring in hard cash.
There are millions of tons of wasted foods suitable for humans, and also pests which animals might eat - chickens love locusts for instance, though people can eat them - ducks wander paddy fields to eat the water snails and 'fleas' - then when plants are harvested and the seeds or other parts sent to market, there are tons of other bits to dispose of which could be fed to animals rather than burnt or left to rot - and then there is the waste at the packing stations where imperfect items are rejected, and the things past their sell by date thrown in the bins or smashed up and carted away.
Just because so many people do not have access to anything but the lowest value cereal crops it doesn't mean that that is all there is in the world, it just means that those in control are not motivated to do anything else for them.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the end of the day with a diagnosis of diabetes, it's the requirement of a blood test meter..

One is simply clueless without the means to gauge what works with dietary choices on a daily basis.
Waiting till "A1c time" comes around without a meter, could also prove to be discouraging when the results & ensuing consultation comes back with "blind flight."

It's not always about the "topping on the toast." It's about what we base our individual foundations on, to our own bespoke requirement in dealing with diabetes managment.

It's always encouraging to receive the feedback, "keep doing what you're doing." From HCPs than the more negative connotations due to a type of carb disagreeing to a specific metabolism..

Use your meter wisely. & whatever meds prescribed, be informed. :)

image.jpeg

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking that if all I had was carbohydrate, I would use it as either food or bait for something more nutritious.