Toast

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the toast thing - if you absolutely have to have something quick/toast-y, have you tried the lower carb bread? It doesn't taste as great as proper bread, but if what you are looking for is something ridiculously quick and easy, it's a good thing to just put stuff on top of/in between!

I use the LivLife bread - which you can get from Waitrose or Ocado - and it's expensive, but someone on here freezes it in small two slice batches, which would make it much more efficient (she says - not doing it myself and then ending up throwing away half a thing of bread :banghead:). And my big helpings of cheese or ham or cheese and ham or tuna mayo or sometimes even Marmite with slatherings of butter go on that. Because I feel stupid eating just a mountain of cheese for breakfast. And yogurt has yet to fill me up... ever.

Reactions: Diane_56

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Burgen Soya and Linseed bread. One slice toasted straight from the freezer with egg and bacon is my usual breakfast and is ok for my BG.

Reactions: lovinglife
M

Member496333

To be honest in terms of glucose response, bread is among the worst. You’d probably literally be better off having one slice of toast covered in sugar than you would two slices of plain toast. Sorry but that’s the reality. Bread can raise blood glucose just as much if not more than table sugar.

Whether or not this concerns you is another matter :)

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest in terms of glucose response, bread is among the worst. You’d probably literally be better off having one slice of toast covered in sugar than you would two slices of plain toast. Sorry but that’s the reality. Bread can raise blood glucose just as much if not more than table sugar.

Whether or not this concerns you is another matter :)
Thanks for your advise

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the toast thing - if you absolutely have to have something quick/toast-y, have you tried the lower carb bread? It doesn't taste as great as proper bread, but if what you are looking for is something ridiculously quick and easy, it's a good thing to just put stuff on top of/in between!

I use the LivLife bread - which you can get from Waitrose or Ocado - and it's expensive, but someone on here freezes it in small two slice batches, which would make it much more efficient (she says - not doing it myself and then ending up throwing away half a thing of bread :banghead:). And my big helpings of cheese or ham or cheese and ham or tuna mayo or sometimes even Marmite with slatherings of butter go on that. Because I feel stupid eating just a mountain of cheese for breakfast. And yogurt has yet to fill me up... ever.
I have low carb bread but going to try yoghurt and Berry's or boiled eggs not keen on bacon

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat bread. i have bread most days. But then, I test before and after, and i can have it. Not everyone has to stop eating bread.

See what your meter says, before and 2 hours after. If the difference is more than 2 points, then you are one of the people who cant eat bread.

Obviously dont have anything sweet on your toast.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can manage bread, as long as I do not exceed my allowance of carbs per day, but I make it myself, using milled seed mix (from Lidl) psyllium flour, coconut flour, ground almonds, then rye flour and wholemeal bread flour, yeast, salt and lard, and baking powder (as the yeast can't raise all that non gluten dough).
I have been making small loaves, but plan on some muffin tin sized rolls, and I limit my baking days too. Perhaps if I have bread on days when I don't have berries for dessert it would work out most easily.
I have been low carbing for two years and got down to the top end of normal levels, otherwise I would not risk it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can manage bread, as long as I do not exceed my allowance of carbs per day, but I make it myself, using milled seed mix (from Lidl) psyllium flour, coconut flour, ground almonds, then rye flour and wholemeal bread flour, yeast, salt and lard, and baking powder (as the yeast can't raise all that non gluten dough).
I have been making small loaves, but plan on some muffin tin sized rolls, and I limit my baking days too. Perhaps if I have bread on days when I don't have berries for dessert it would work out most easily.
I have been low carbing for two years and got down to the top end of normal levels, otherwise I would not risk it.
I am on gliclazide too, and I find I can tolerate one slice of seeded batch loaf from Aldi. It is cheap, has roughage and the fortifying vitamins required by law, amd the glic sees it off nicely, I have butter on mine to slow it down a bit. and for me I use bacon and egg for protein. I am not hungry during the day, and am not tempted to snack.
Admittedly I am not low carbing at the moment since I find a fasting BG of around 5,6 to be comfortable with no hypo's from the glic. My daily average is currently 6.8 which is upper end of Normal range, so I am conmfortable with my lot at present. My last HbA1c was 42,

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Unfortunately modern bread is not made from einkorn wheat, it is not stone ground with the whole germ and is laced with preservatives and vegetable oil. As I experiment and have to replace nuts, I like a filler at the end of my meals. All of the below are low carb and bread like

From the left to right

• Pancakes (cream cheese and coconut flour, egg(s) and baking soda)
  • Waffles same pancake mix
  • Extra large pancake
  • Flax meal (eggs, backing soda)
  • Flax meal cut up
  • 2 x Macadamia and coconut cream
  • Toasted macadamia slices
  • Flax meal as above made in measuring jug using microwave
  • Microwave flax meal cut up
  • Microwave flax meal, with 4 different toppings (cream cheese, butter, cheese, marmite)

Breadlike.JPG

I made these and I am not a cordon bleu chef. The pancakes and macadamia loaf are just as tasty as white bread (the macadamia is more of an occasional treat I would put berries and cream on).

If you previously had brown bread then the flax meal alternatives stand up well, especially when toasted and the total time from mixing to with toppings, and in mouth is 5 mins as the ingredients are just 3 items, 30 seconds to mix the eggs, flax and baking soda, 1.5 minutes in the microwave, a couple of minutes to toast and then the time it takes to put the toppings on - the flax I use if from a whole food local store (Manningtree), is 6.40 grams of carbs per 100 grams and I use 60 grams, so this comes in at about 4 grams of carbs. I have taken the waffles out over night without a fridge and they stood up well, not soggy and still tasty.

There are alternatives that range from 5 minutes to 35, but of course some effort needs to go in, best news even with a dinner, still well under a 2 mmol rise for the entire meal.

Reactions: Ponchu

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have Morrisons high protein bread toasted for breakfast - usually with bacon and cheese though! I've not had a problem with it raising my levels.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Wow. These responses.

I am sure you and your medical professionals have talked about it.

Some can eat toast, some can't. Some should. Some shouldn't. Some eat it anyway.

You do you.

Every topping on toast has its own reaction. Just be aware of it.

My type 2 relatives all need to start their day with X carbs. Some have one piece of bread, another has carb containing fruit and one yogurt. Be aware of your needs and remember no one on this site is an expert in YOUR diabetes.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
All choose to.. as many have said so often there are no essential dietary carbs. No-one needs any...it's choice.
SIGH. If you are going to quote and bold me then please use the WHOLE quote and context.

MY TYPE 2 RELATIVES ALL NEED TO.

The five diabetics in my family who have type two rather than type one, need to intake some carba as their first meal of the day. As I explained. You do not know me. You do not know them. You do not know their hypos. You do not know their confusion. You do not know their tears. You do not know their telephone calls to me and their screeds of information on diaries.

They NEED carbs upon waking for THEIR diabetes.

Reactions: Ponchu