Type 1 and pump

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has any one got a pump??? And if so what make and model thinking of buying one private, any answers most appreciated xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why private? Its not just the pump that you will have to buy but the consumables too like the cannulas, tubes, batteries etc...

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
How exactly are you going to buy a pump privately?
There's a pump forum if you look on the main menu and scroll down towards the bottom.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a Medtronic veo, love it. Will your hospital not give you one? X

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi no not asked doubt it my friend works at Medtronic I used to too. So how is it??

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for info I have such a needle phobia I will talk to my dad. I know it's no quick yes or no but progress.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya Tylers,

I know alot of type 1's think of a pump as having 'nirvana' with their condition, however there are pro's and cons to both methods, I like injections as it gives me control, with a pump being wired up to a machine means wearing this day and night and keeping the cannula in securely, it means training to learn how to administer and manage the pump, and a period of 'bedding in' to get the levels right. I like swimming so would have to remove then. Also where to place it, so tucked into a waist band on under bra strap etc. However I like the idea of a constant supply of QA to manage my BG and would hope it would give me greater flexibility with doing sport as I find my levels erratic during and after sport, potentially less hypos too.

I think it takes some thought to make the right decision as to what's right for you and also what you can financially afford if it's not paid for by the NHS, but there is a set of criteria to look at when being assessed by the NHS.

I would be interested to see responses from users here too as it's something I have considered doing privately also ;)

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you in the UK? There should be little or no need to buy privately (and I'm not certain it's a very easy thing to do in this country).

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has any one got a pump??? And if so what make and model thinking of buying one private, any answers most appreciated xx

Hi Tylers73.

I now have a accu-chek insight. It is so much better than the medtronic veo I have just replaced.

If you do go for self funding you have pump £3500 ish every 3 or 4 years, consumables, canulas and infusion sets £10-15 every three days and the insulin.

If you meet the NICE criteria for a pump you should get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the Medtronic minimed and it's brilliant and as I'm quite muscular the plastic cannulas broke as it hit my muscle so I have the sure-t ones as they are metal cannulas :)

Reactions: 4 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a insulin pump for 18 years and a type I for 36,years . I use Medtronic . I am in the states so I don't know how much different it is from there .

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have an Accu check combo pump - for the last 2 yrs. Been T1for 20 yrs. hosp gave me mine having completed the DAFNE course as a prerequisite. It was 3 years after that.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow. You must be lucky.

Maybe, but the NICE criteria are pretty clear and, if you fit them, you should be able to fight (if necessary) to get funding.
And, certainly as far as I could see, most T1s probably fit the criteria one way or another...

I'm prepared to believe I might have had an easier time getting my pump than some do, but it also seems that they are becoming more common all the time in the UK.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The NICE criteria are pretty strict - basically you have to have an Hba1C greater than 8.5% and have demonstrably tried to reduce it or hypos occur frequently or without warning, causing anxiety about recurrence and a negative impact on your quality of life. If you can persuade your consultant based on the ABCD criteria then a lot more people fit.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The NICE criteria are pretty strict - basically you have to have an Hba1C greater than 8.5% and have demonstrably tried to reduce it or hypos occur frequently or without warning, causing anxiety about recurrence and a negative impact on your quality of life. If you can persuade your consultant based on the ABCD criteria then a lot more people fit.

If your don't fit the criteria push for the quality of life aspect.

Looking at some of members here who have switched to insulin pumps over the last couple of years you will see that you don't have to have a HbA1c above 8.5 to get a pump or have impaired hypo awareness, there was a guy two years ago changed over to a pump with a HbA1c of 4.7 which seemed very unusual at the time, but he was having to inject 10-12 times a day to control his bg levels so I think he's consultant pushed for the pump stating it would improve his quality of life..... which undoubtedly it did.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Looking at some of members here who have switched to insulin pumps over the last couple of years you will see that you don't have to have a HbA1c of above 8.5 to get a pump or have impaired hypo awareness, there was a guy two years ago changed over to a pump with a HbA1c of 4.7 which seemed very unusual at the time, but he was having to inject 10-12 times a day to control his bg levels so I think he's consultant pushed for the pump stating it would improve his quality of life..... which undoubtedly it did.
This is the tack I am currently using.