Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed via HbA1c of 65 in January this year. I went straight to the net, found this place and low carb advice and began to try it for myself, testing regularly. I slipped up and made mistakes and had the odd carb binge, but results today, three months on please me greatly - 44! And I've lost a stone and a half!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jimbot

Diagnosed dec 2011 test was average 36%, following trip was 20 ish (only tablets no insulin, which changed when I got advice and new doctor on here thanks)
My last two visits they have averaged at 7% and one before that 6.5% but doc wanted it higher as I drive alot.

Seem to have I under control for the time being.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
In the last three months my Hba1c has dropped from 50 to 46.
This has been accomplished by eating to meter....cutting down on foods that push up the post prandial blood glucose reading like potatoes and wheat breads and filling up on low GI foods.
I have lost 12kg's since October

Sorry, I see this section is for type 1's I'm type 2.
regards
D.

Bisto44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I am an insulin diabetic who suffered a heart attack in December 2011 and had 3 stents fitted. I have been overweight for many years and it was decided that I would benefit from a Gastric Bypass as there are still some issues with one of my arteries which will need further treatment at some stage.

After being referred to London for a Gastric Bypass, my surgery was delayed due to high sugar levels. My HbA1c at the beginning of February this year was 10.8. I knew that the only way I was going get this down was to go on a low carb regime. I have done this in the past and have lost 2-3 stone each time but it always increases again over a period of time.

However as a "means to an end" (getting the surgery needed) I decided to do it again to reduce my levels. I received my HbA1c result back today, and in 11 weeks I have reduced it from 10.8 down to 7.1 and also lost 1 1/4 stone (18 lb) !!

I am so happy with this result which now means my surgery can go ahead and I can look forward to a new beginning !!

Just wanted to share that to show that it can be done ( although its not always easy lol )

Many thanks

Tim

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's an incredible difference, Tim! Well done!

torheedamy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm fairly newley diagnoised type 1, i got my first HbA1c results the other day and it was 131.7,as i understand this is not good :( i am now taking insulin injections and hoping in three months (july) it will come down even just a little bit

andybee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got the results of my first test this week.
Having been diagnosed with type 1 in January with an HbA1c of 11.2 my new result was 6.0.
I am on Levemir and novorapid and follow a low card breakfast and low GI the rest of the day.
If am am going to be having a carb 'splurge' then I make sure that a have fired up my system with some exercise which tends to lessen the post meal spikes.
Appart from that I eat pretty normally.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just had my results in and it was 6.1%. Happy with that. I reckon a couple of 10s in the week before cost me having one in the 5s.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't want to know what it is argh :( before pregnancy it was 5.8 as i was low carbing except for the odd treat once a week, i was pleased with that but my levels these days are so iffy, i can range from 1.4 to 16 in a day its ridiculous! :( Sounds silly but i'm looking forward to low carbing again once our baby is here

lexilox

7.6 done this week. New to pump so although it's quite high for me as previously 6-6.5 but I'm happy as having fewer hypos.

garythegob

I notice people are using different results, ie, mmol, %, I am confused, is there an online convertor, and can anyone tell me what my latest is, I was told my fasting
HbA1c is 51mmol

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just come back from the DSN, who has told me I am now down to 5.2%
she seemed to approve of the low carbing approach...or at least the results of
low carbing. I was a little worried about cholesterol as it had risen a little as I
started the diet but it is now down to a total of 4.3%. So I am a happy chappy
tonight. :D