Type 1s: HCLF or LCHF for type 1 diabetics?

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm totally baffled at the moment and am finding this topic is playing on my mind every single day and really getting me down. What is best for someone with type 1 diabetes? High carb, low fat? Or low carb, high fat? When I say best, I mean best for long term health. Which, if either, helps prevent or reduce long term complications. Maybe neither is better than the other. I'm very confused.

I have many people online telling me that you should go for high carb, low fat because you're getting your energy from the carbs and you don't want high levels of fat if you're type 1. Then I read from other sources (especially Dr Richard Bernstein) that you should never eat high carb if you are type 1!

I am vegan, so LCHF is almost impossible and HCLF seems very appetising. I want to ensure I am doing the best for my body. I've been diabetic for 10 months now and am almost 30years old. I feel like this is my time to shine and be the healthiest I can. I'm just struggling to know what is best!

Any advice or ideas to bounce from would be amazing. I need to come to a decision ASAP as for some reason it is causing me immense stress.

Many thanks in advance (also feel free to move this thread to the nutrition section if needed, I just couldn't find an appropriate board for it),

xxx

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @lizziewizzie

Rather than go by everyone else's say so why don't you experiment yourself, you could either go full-on LCHF or meet somewhere in the middle and eat both in moderation.

Obviously you'll need to make adjustments to your insulin doses so do be careful if you do go ahead.

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply @noblehead. I currently am eating in the middle as it's how I've always eaten really, although I'd say I'm more high carb, high fat lol.

I probably should have been more specific in my post sorry... I would like to know which diet is best for long term health, not short term glucose results or energy levels etc. I'll adjust my post now. xxx

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @lizziewizzie
one of the most repeated mantra's these days has been "eat to your meter"

I eat a moderate carb diet ( 80- 160 ) carbs per day .
if you keep logs of your diet / insulin you will build a picture of what works for you..

don't be swayed by others -- do what is best for you !!!!

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll have a look into that @noblehead thank you.

I'm wondering is there even an optimum diet for someone with type 1 diabetes, or can we realistically follow any diet because we have insulin we can give to cover any carbs eaten? People without diabetes have a pancreas that delivers insluin, we just have a pen that delivers it (and a mathematical mind), so in theory, do our diets need to be any different?

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @himtoo, thank you for your reply. Do you think either diet is better in relation to long term effects on a diabetic body? Or do you think any diet is okay, providing your matching your carbs with your insluin intake? I'm starting to think it's okay to eat however I want and that there isn't really a gold standard diet for diabetics. x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm wondering is there even an optimum diet for someone with type 1 diabetes, or can we realistically follow any diet because we have insulin we can give to cover any carbs eaten?

I don't think we can just eat for eating sake, we have to control the carbs to some extent but to how far depends on the individual, some type 1 members here do very well on a very low-carb diet, others do equally well eating carbs in moderation and we do have members who say they can HCLF and keep good bg control, there's no one-size fits all when it comes to diet and we do have to remember that.

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So basically, providing you are keeping your blood glucose levels within normal or as near to normal as possible levels, you could potentially eat low, medium or high carb.

I was concerned that eating a high carb diet, even when keeping your levels normalised, would have bad long term effects. This has been really helpful though thank you.

x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @himtoo, thank you for your reply. Do you think either diet is better in relation to long term effects on a diabetic body? Or do you think any diet is okay, providing your matching your carbs with your insluin intake? I'm starting to think it's okay to eat however I want and that there isn't really a gold standard diet for diabetics. x
the key word in anything related to Diabetes is moderation -- insulin gives us the tool to eat what we want -- but eating to our own meters tempers that. I try to eat 3-4 portions of steamed veg every single evening , and grill most all meats when I eat them.
I do eat potato ( usually new ) and rice ( basmati) -- but limit portions to help avoid spikes.

you will need to use your BG meter and meal variations to find what works for you-- my main point is that you can only learn what works for you over time --

Reactions: Freema

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Freema I have never heard that being vegan can cause diabetes in young children or adults, where did you hear that? I don't even know how that would be physiologically possible.

C

catherinecherub

There are so many advices . I Think you are doing the best by being almost in the middle But to the low carb side. As a type 1 you can NOT go too low as it can be dangerous . But there is a lot of healthy knowledge that there is in fact worldwide consensus about and that is vitamins and Minerals and trace minerals and different kinds of essential fatty acids ..... I Think that when being a vegan that will be the focus points to get ALL these different things in your Daily foods as it can be reallly difficult to get from vegans foods only and one has to be a kind of food expert to be a Truly Healthy vegan. And I guess that is why there is no native People on Earth where all the group is vegan .... many vegans become diabetic very Young and maybe because it need so much knowledge to get all the right aspekts of a Healthy combination when being a vegan and that many know too little to avoid damaging their Brain and psysique
@Freema,
You will have to substantiate your claims with some references, rather than scare people. There are many people who are able to sustain a vegan diet throughout their lives with no ill effects.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First remember that diabetes is a condition that means the body can't metabolise glucose properly. If you have too many carbs your insulin needs go up and so may your weight if you have too many. Also your blood sugar swings will increase as your carb intake increases and hence hypo risks go up. Carb moderation is therefore important. Fats and proteins only have a small effect on blood sugar and fats are not the main culprit when it comes to cholesterol; carbs can be if taken to excess. Any advice to have high carbs is difficult to justify by any scientific thinking; challenge anyone who suggests it? The body is quite capable of deriving the energy we need just from proteins and fats without any carbs unless you have high exercise levels. The carbs for energy thing comes from the food manufacturers to sell more products. As someone else said, Eat to your meter and avoid weight gain and make your own choices.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@lizziewizzie What I do is concentrate on eating moderate carbs and plenty of healthy veg. I don't eat low fat, but I don't eat excessive fat either. I find it much easier to control my BS on moderate carbs, but if you look on YouTube you'll see videos from a Type 1 who eats high carbs (forgotten his name - sorry!)

My advice is to look back at threads in Type 1 about how many carbs Type 1s eat per day and compare that to your own diet or the diet you would like to eat, then make a decision. The majority of Type 1s here seem to eat moderate carbs. You must find a level that works for you and your blood sugar. We're all different :)

For Type 2s, as mentioned above by Brunneria, there are usually different issues to consider, so their dietary choices may be informed by those issues, especially if they're not on meds.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no one diet to suit all diabetics T1 or T2 we have to find out what suits us personally so just experiment until you find the way that's suits you best and that you are happy doing

Reactions: Freema and Juicyj

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lizziewizzie and welcome. Good to see someone else here from the planet Veeg

Firstly, I need to say that I am T2 so my experience of LCHF may be a bit different. Anyway this is what I do. Firstly, being veeg means that to obtain all the necessary nutrients to live it's virtually impossible to go really low LCHF. However, I do get as low as possible - usually around 40g a day. I eat lots of high - it's versatile and marinades create lots of exciting different flavours. Lentils and beans are good but watch the carbs. I can usually manage one "beany" dish a day. Lots and lots of salad and it doesn't have to be just cos lettuce and a tomato. There is a thread on here where veggies and veegs share menus. Take a look and i know you will be inspired.

Oh also take a look at seitan! Very low carb and full of protein

Enjoy

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a typo above! It says I eat lots of high ... Should be tofu ... Lol

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @lizziewizzie Lots of great advice here, the eat to the meter rule is absolutely the best way.

Fundamentally we are all biologically different and with different metabolisms, so it is very much about finding what works for you through trial and experiment. We know the rules about type 1 and that's to avoid the roller coaster ride, so in essence this is our personal goal. I know from first hand experience some type 1's who eat high carb and enjoy stable blood glucose readings and others who cannot follow this and although Dr Bernstein has enjoyed success through his own methods, for others this is not feasible and is a far too extreme method for them to follow. Ultimately it's about feeling good about yourself, enjoying your food and maintaining the control you need to help manage your diabetes so please don't be swayed by what others say, find your own path and of course take pleasure from what food choices you decide :)