1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My health centre is very good, we have Saturday specials for flu jab only. Mass jabbing!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Diakat A pharmacy could offer a flu vaccine to you if your surgery is being difficult. Even better if the pharmacy closes at 8pm.

3. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

@Diakat ...for the last three years my husband has had his flu jab at a well known pharmacy chain...being a coach driver with very irregular work pattern means that trying to fit in surgery appointment is close to impossible....this year I actually booked appointment online on their system but previous two years have just walked in and asked....couple of forms to complete and job done....they even inform your surgery for you....probably means the surgery don’t get the financial incentive for doing it but from our point of view is so much easier.....the pharmacy chain begins with a B but know that others offer a similar service:)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@MeiChanski that’s a big hike! Did they give you a written quotation for your two modules at £138.00 and did you accept it?

5. MeiChanski

The £138 was clearly stated on their website for exam and coursework resits. It was suppose to be added to my account but income office sent me a statement and it was a wooping £3200. I accepted the £138 fees for administration etc when I sent my decision before the 9th september. Towards the end, it has been partially sorted. It was awkward when they said I needed to attend all my classes. When I’ve missed 4 weeks of classes of already.

6. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I tried to book mine and was told they weren't available at my surgery for any other than for the over 65s when I asked when they were doing later than 4.00 p.m. appointments. I can see it'll actually be done by the doctor deciding to do one of his whirlwind "Let's get everything done whilst you're actually here" appointments when I go for the compulsory medical review to renew my insulin prescriptions, provided there is any available! But I will say I tried....

Young Vampire is none the worse for the hypo adventures yesterday... in fact, they acted as a useful aid for getting everything done on time. "You don't want a repeat of yesterday, do you?" worked like a charm.

• Like Like x 3
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nope I’m sorry Molly I’m gonna need another clue.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

@therower .....wellington.....kinky.....

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Molly56 . Ann Summers???????? That starts with an A.:)
    Images of stiletto wellingtons now.:).

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m going for the mass jabbing myself tomorrow!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

My local one closes before I get home. That’s the problem with village living.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Not only don't they receive a fee for doing the test, they are changed by the pharmacy for doing the jab, so a double whammy. No wonder the GPs aren't promoting pharmacies doing jabs.

Our surgery did the over-65s and vulnerable patients (Vulnerable includes those living with diabetes, asthma, immuno-suppressed etc.) flu clinic last Saturday. Almost 1000 vaccinations were completed, very efficiently, at 2 minute intervals.

One patient lodged an official complaint her appointment was 08:34, but she was not seen until 08:36. I was dumbstruck.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

[​IMG]

14. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having my flu jab before surgery starts on Monday. Usually go to the Saturday cattle market affairs but due to a delay in receiving the vaccine they are fitting people in wherever they can. I live in a village and my surgery is a 5 min walk away.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

In my GP's office they keep it a secret when the mass flu shooting will take place. They expect you to either read the stupid local newspaper or phone them to ask. It usually takes 20 minutes to get to speak to someone and they'll only know a week or so in advance so you will get told to call again next week. Idiots.
    I've asked in a Dutch diabetes facebook group and almost everyone gets an e-mail or a letter to invite them. Well, not at my GP :grumpy:

• Hug Hug x 1
  16. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

At my GP's surgery the fluvax is available in the middle of April each year, so I try to get it around that time. They have sent me a text message if I have left it a bit late though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MeiChanski

I did my makeup a bit too dramatic tonight for work. As I was putting it on, I felt this sudden urge to slap some glitter on my eye lids. But my eye lids were poppin I will do it a bit more subtle tomorrow, but I loved the glitter. It was a shade of gold with green and pink flex to it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Good morning. Or is it good night?

Just rolled in from another night of R&R & not long stuck myself with Lantus nearly 3 hours late & probably 5 after it should have tailed off?

But lookie here.. I'm dropping. During a 2.5 hour non stop gig ending at midnight & twix lantus shots. No bolus on board.
    It eventually seethed on a 4.3. Not treatment, just seing where it goes while the Lantus kicks in (taken at 1.45am.)
    Unappreciated there is a delay with a Libre. Just looked again back up at 5.4.

I'm basically running on empty & have no idea. But more often than not, most my gig nights trend like this.
    At least I know the coke served from draught was diet....

[ Screenshot_20191019-014252.png

• Like Like x 2
    #22918 Jaylee, Oct 19, 2019 at 2:25 AM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  19. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Animal internal organs? But I've been starting from the inside & working my way out for years.. Like Alien.
    Grapes & 'nanas? Can't be right. They're "natural sugars." ;)

Oddly, I do have to be mindfull not to forget my shots & fresh socks.. :)

Welcome to the forum. Please tell us more? (& cheers for the heads up.)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You’re right there - our two seem to spend most the the day, and night, asleep. However they have just celebrated their 14th birthdays so can be forgiven.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook