Type 1'stars R Us

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Indeed they wouldn't! Nor would I. If cake I am going to have, I want a decent slice.
Knikki would have wanted a good half of it and some jaffas on the side for decoration. Shame he was not able to stay

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes try the Libre, what have you got to lose? If it’s a success good, if not you can always revert. I personally use very few test strips these days as it is very accurate for me. Average 1 or 2 a day.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ SueJB You don't have to gain weight from a higher basal or bolus change. Basal is supposed to make up for what your liver puts out. So theoretically if you don't eat, your blood sugar level should stay even keel on a basal dose only when fasting. You can either fast for a day or some people break it into 6 hour segments. Bolus is just for what you eat.

It was the weirdest thing, we just got a sensor for our dog, so has it happened before without us knowing? She dropped like crazy last night and just kept dropping after staying even keel the night and day before. She didn't level out until 3 am. @SueJB, she got jelly babies, yogurt, syrup, dog bones, sugar, pretzel.................and I was still getting ready to try my glycogen pen on her if needed. We were blood testing too. The whole time though she acted normal and didn't have any issues, except for thinking this is great I'm getting lots of food! So why this sudden drop so bad for hours. But then why do any of us do the off and on weird levels.

Sorry I am repeating myself some as I already mentioned this, I'm tired lol

We normally test her 1-2 times a day depending how stable she is. Sometimes we have tested her more and done curves. We have woken up in the middle of the night to test her to make sure she is staying steady at night. So what the heck!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Japes Go for the Libre, it's surprising what you learn! Plus you usually have better control with that knowledge. @therower is right, it's cost saving when you have better control, besides being better for your health for you!!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone had this happen? Just took my long acting (tresiba, in my leg, exactly where the pictures tell you to take your insulin) and instead of nothing to see or a slight elevation of the skin it looked more like a thick hard mosquito sting, but about 3 times as big. It was very much noticeable even while injecting, so it doesn't seem anything allergic like. More like the insulin just sits in some kind of pocket instead of spreading.
Still there, 30 minutes later. Any ideas as to what that's about? It's definitely not a much used area, as I prefer arms or more unusual parts of my legs.
I've marked the spot with a pen to remember to avoid, and I'll keep this in mind should my diabetes behave erratically in the next few days.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone had this happen? Just took my long acting (tresiba, in my leg, exactly where the pictures tell you to take your insulin) and instead of nothing to see or a slight elevation of the skin it looked more like a thick hard mosquito sting, but about 3 times as big. It was very much noticeable even while injecting, so it doesn't seem anything allergic like. More like the insulin just sits in some kind of pocket instead of spreading.
Still there, 30 minutes later. Any ideas as to what that's about? It's definitely not a much used area, as I prefer arms or more unusual parts of my legs.
I've marked the spot with a pen to remember to avoid, and I'll keep this in mind should my diabetes behave erratically in the next few days.

Yeah, I've had it with Lantus on my leg. Seems like a burst blood vessel? Which let's face it is how a mosquito feeds.. (I assume.)

Sometimes I wonder if these mass produced pen needles are not as sharp as they can be? Possibly a little barbed/twanged/dinged? From the rushed packaging process of mass production.. (A "Friday nighter.")

Reactions: Antje77

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All I know is, I wouldn't want to spend my time in a supermarket treating a hypo surrounded by kids & trolleys...

It would feel like the floor was moving.

Jelly babies.
But check the carb content on nutritional information. And best of all they dont get too sticky in summer surprisingly. Pop a couple in and enjoy the zingy yummyness. Sluurpps. You gotta resist chucking the whole mini pack in though.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Day 4 completed and I've returned home to do three very important things before tomorrow!

Firstly, I'm testing eggs all by themselves as I am pretty sure I need bolus for eggs.

Secondly, I'm testing out the "healthy cake" recipe in the DAFNE book that we used for calculating carbs for a recipe. I did disagree with DAFNE here on a couple of the ingredients, plus we all disagreed about a cake being divided into 16 portions!

Thirdly, I'm contemplating the Libre. For some reason, I'm reluctant at the moment, even though we've discussed all kinds of reasons why it might well be really good for me. I think I'm coming down on the side of seeing what my Hba1c is tomorrow morning, and if it's about what it was in the summer or higher, then I'll take it. I've surprised myself because I always thought I'd take it like a shot if offered, but I've been dithering all week!

May just be me needing to give myself a good talking to about having what I need and not feeling guilty about cost to the NHS - long term it's more cost-effective to keep me healthy! Plus, it would be kinder to my organist's fingers to reduce the amount of finger pricking.

Hi Japes, I had my Libre at the end of June 2019 and it is easy to use, I can do it discretely on the school transport, it shows so much information, trends, graphs, going high, going low and gives a much better picture of what is going on.
Mine sticks to my arm like a limpet, but like most technology, there can be blips.
I wouldn't do without it and less finger pricking too:)

Reactions: Japes

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 . Sounds like a burst blood vessel, can happen with any insulin whether it be basal or blouse.
I wouldn’t worry about it.
Disclaimer.
If your leg falls off. I said nothing.:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning all and wishing you a Happy Friday.
Awoke on a low, it had been going low during the night, but it is going up now, liver dump and is 4.3 now, so that is good..
A big Max Factor event today, but a later start.
I need to get Pebbles cat in as, I can hear her miaowing at the window :cat:
Take care:)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all
Good luck @LooperCat and hope you get your voice back too
Increased the evening basal dose yesterday and managed to test before I went to bed. Disappointed. 7.7 bed and 7.6 waking
I wanna be a 5 or just get this Madam down................ but how??
Off to London to see the PreRaphaelite Sisters and got a very cheap train ticket under £9, brill Chiltern railways
Hope it's a good start to the weekend for everyone

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB at least you know last night your basal was spot on! Enjoy your London and the Preraphaelite Sisters (whoever they are?!)

went to bed on a 9.something, 4.something this morning - now you'd be thinking my night time basal is well over the top but last night before going to bed I knew I still had IOB so didn't do anything to correct it.

Reactions: therower

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good moaning y'all
@SueJB seems like your basal is where it should be, nice steady line for you
@LooperCat good luck with your exam today AND hope your voice comes back - bet the husbeast is loving the quiet at the mo lol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I've had it with Lantus on my leg. Seems like a burst blood vessel? Which let's face it is how a mosquito feeds.. (I assume.)

Sometimes I wonder if these mass produced pen needles are not as sharp as they can be? Possibly a little barbed/twanged/dinged? From the rushed packaging process of mass production.. (A "Friday nighter.")
@Antje77 . Sounds like a burst blood vessel, can happen with any insulin whether it be basal or blouse.
I wouldn’t worry about it.
Disclaimer.
If your leg falls off. I said nothing.:)
I think you're right :) I concluded it somehow was the insulin but this makes much more sense.
And yes, it felt like a funky needle, needed to push quite hard until it cracked through my skin. I briefly thought to screw on a new needle when it didn't want to go in but I was too lazy. I did do an airshot afterwards as well to check if the needle worked though, seemed fine.
The leg is still firmly attached, so case closed I'd say :)
Thanks for solving my little mystery!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you're right :) I concluded it somehow was the insulin but this makes much more sense.
And yes, it felt like a funky needle, needed to push quite hard until it cracked through my skin. I briefly thought to screw on a new needle when it didn't want to go in but I was too lazy. I did do an airshot afterwards as well to check if the needle worked though, seemed fine.
The leg is still firmly attached, so case closed I'd say :)
Thanks for solving my little mystery!

Torn vessel on the way in.. I get the occaisional with the rapid in my stomach too if I'm juggling a shirt lift under a hoodie?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all! Voice remains lost, possibly down the back of the sofa. Felt a bit **** but the exam went ok, thanks for all the positive thoughts, it really means a lot ❤️ I’ll find out in a couple of weeks, so will try to put it to the back of my mind for a bit.
In other news, I got Dexcom today, as Libre has been proving to be hilariously inaccurate (massively under reading and predicting an HbA1c of 26, when I came back from the lab as 35). Initial results look promising...

Blood 5.7
Dex 5.8
Libre (Spike) 6.1
Libre (official) 4.8

I’ll be spending the weekend rebuilding my Loop app to use the Dexcom as the source instead of Spike and see how we go from there :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all!

Thank you for all the encouragement and you'll be pleased to know I decided to go for a Libre trial, right at the last minute. Mostly because I'm not around all next week and didn't want to start something new as well as getting used to new pen devices and a new meter. So, I'll get an appointment in about three weeks and we'll take it from there.

The DAFNE cake was much better than I thought it might be and actually it was fairly dense so a 16th was adequate. I'll cook it in a loaf tin if I do it again. Mmm... am I the only person who's scribbled notes on a DAFNE course book about recipe details?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all!

Thank you for all the encouragement and you'll be pleased to know I decided to go for a Libre trial, right at the last minute. Mostly because I'm not around all next week and didn't want to start something new as well as getting used to new pen devices and a new meter. So, I'll get an appointment in about three weeks and we'll take it from there.

The DAFNE cake was much better than I thought it might be and actually it was fairly dense so a 16th was adequate. I'll cook it in a loaf tin if I do it again. Mmm... am I the only person who's scribbled notes on a DAFNE course book about recipe details?

Hi @Japes

BIB---- Yes:):):)

Well done going for the Libre, it will make a difference, its so much easier, and your poor fingers will get a break from all the tests.

Let us know how you get on, once you have it

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Better night with my dog, she stayed steady all night and consequently I did too!!!!!!