Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just signed up to join this chat, just curious to find out what ages people are, when they got type 1 and how they’re managing?

I’ll start off, i’m currently 18 and had type 1 diabetes since age of 5. I’m on the pump but pushing to get the freestyle libre as it’ll benefit me massively!

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum :)

I got type 1 at the ripe ole age of 38, had gestational diabetes with my daughter 3 years previously which then went and the type 1 came on within a week after going skiing in the alps, it was a horrendous holiday as we drove there and back in a convoy and had to stop at most of the service stations on the way there and back, lost over a stone and was in a pretty bad way when I got back so straight to the GP and off to hospital, now almost 8 years later I am on a pump and self fund the dexcom g6 and have my best HbA1c's ever now, takes some effort but it does pay off.

andyginn32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum :)

I got type 1 at the ripe ole age of 38, had gestational diabetes with my daughter 3 years previously which then went and the type 1 came on within a week after going skiing in the alps, it was a horrendous holiday as we drove there and back in a convoy and had to stop at most of the service stations on the way there and back, lost over a stone and was in a pretty bad way when I got back so straight to the GP and off to hospital, now almost 8 years later I am on a pump and self fund the dexcom g6 and have my best HbA1c's ever now, takes some effort but it does pay off.

What a story, i found out when i was diagnosed as i went to the cinema with my dad at 5 years old to watch a film. Had 1 pint of Coke and a bag of salt popcorn, during that night i went for a wee 13 times before i fell asleep. The next morning went to my mums in a really ill condition and was unable to go anywhere so was taken to the gp.

Was declared diabetic and was rushed to hospital and had to have an injection in my bum, i still remember it to this day.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @andyginn32, diagnosed 1969, aged 20 so it’ll be 50 years since diagnosis this coming Christmas Eve. Yes, there have been loads of changes during that time, from testing with a mini chemistry set: drops of pee, drops of water and a tablet, to the wonders available today. No noticeable complications so I’m feeling lucky; I’ve had some good highs and lows in my time. I’m on Fiasp and Levemir, prescribed libre and self funded MiaoMiao. I agree with LooperCat about the Libre’s accuracy but it’s nevertheless much better than the pee test!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
My hours have been cut and I worked for a mere two hours, despite she put me down for three hours. Rather pointless to go to work today. 23 hours this week because manager said she is over the budget but yet she employed another person and gave her 15 hours.

Diabetes is okay, I was so angry that my manager won’t pay me for three hours. So I walked home instead, spent 2 hours walking, BG was stable for around 1.5hours before going hypo. I ate 50g carbs and now I’m stable. My 2 hours was very eventful, arguing with my mind and thinking about the worst case scenario. I think it’s easy to pick on part time employees, although manager said she is cutting everyone’s hours but she didn’t cut 6 full time employees. Only one part time was able to keep his hours.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear about this @MeiChanski it sounds like discrimination to me, your boss is not being fair but guess you know this already, hope your ok after your hypo.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The amount of blood i’ve licked from my own finger over the years is probably enough to fill up a bathtub haha. That being said i did have a rough night last night.
My biggest challenge is not licking it off a patient’s finger... :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes you get lucky!
Usually I inject my Fiasp before going to the kitchen to put my dinner on my plate, because Old Dog has something that looks suspiciously like Alzheimers and I need both hands to eat while keeping him from finishing my plate (I eat on the couch from a low table, living alone). Injecting with my food in front of me involves using legs to keep Hidde away from my food.

Today my pen was empty, so I thought to inject in the kitchen after getting my food from the oven. Turned out the wind had blown out the fire, so food will take at least another half hour. Very happy my pen was empty now!

(and don't worry, lots of fresh air in my kitchen with an open connection to the garden at floor level (for the dogs and cats) so any gas will nicely escape :)

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
That’s real living on the edge Antje! Very pleased you weren’t all blown to smithereens when you relit the oven. Just imagine the task the investigators would have working out which bit was what, or who! And we’d miss you!!! Hope the food was worth the wait

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s real living on the edge Antje! Very pleased you weren’t all blown to smithereens when you relit the oven.
I made sure to stick my head in before relighting it to test for gas smell, so I guess I was pretty safe :)
Hope the food was worth the wait
emoji4.png
It was quite nice, but another bout of crying over Old Dog Hidde who'll be put asleep next thursday hit me at three bites in. So I forced myself to eat enough to counter the insulin and let the dogs have a feast with the other half of my plate. Glad I dosed very conservatively. It hurts.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Big hugs @Antje77 - it hard to lose a much loved member of the family. Sounds like you’re filling his last days with much love ❤️

Up at 0345 this morning for a six o’clock shift. I much prefer nights and lates to days, you can just get up when you wake naturally, as opposed to being rudely awoken by the alarm. Hey ho. Let’s see what the day brings!

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Two days left until term ends and I have been driving the children and the driver nuts with my Christmas jokes, but I said yesterday it would be great it we could all bring in a few Christmas jokes and I have downloaded 'Twas the Night before Christmas' to read to them.
I hope they like it as much as I do :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, why do I always feel like main car dealers are always trying to rip you off? Long story short, 3 things wrong with the wifes car, 2 of which are covered under warranty - dealer was racking up the prices until I told them it's under warranty.........and how come a £100 part is charged at 5 times that? :confused:

BGs have been pretty good, still need to nail down lunchtimes though.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Morning all, why do I always feel like main car dealers are always trying to rip you off? Long story short, 3 things wrong with the wifes car, 2 of which are covered under warranty - dealer was racking up the prices until I told them it's under warranty.........and how come a £100 part is charged at 5 times that? :confused:

BGs have been pretty good, still need to nail down lunchtimes though.
Because they often are!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Things aren’t looking great. My bf may or may not lose his job. If he does, I’ll lose my job and we’ll have to move back home so we won’t be together.
I’m in the process of looking for another job but I don’t know if two jobs will be able to support where we are living. Especially hospitality jobs aren’t 100% stable.

Diabetes not bad after an awful evening yesterday. 9.2 this morning and early for work.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning....just
Rubbish morning bloodwise...woke to an 11 (where were my alarms!!!!) had breakfast, got into work and a 13 with a North facing arrow. hmmmmm still no alarms. Rage bloused and am now sat on a Low BUT feel fine
Alarms not working as I have turned the volume down on my phone and silenced my watch AAARGH!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: