Type 1'stars R Us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Notching up the level of the carbs guessing game a bit tonight :)
Didn't feel like shopping but opted for a mystery meal from the freezer, figuring I'd recognize it after it had thawed. Well, it has thawed now but still doesn't look or smell familiar. I'm guessing it is something to go with rice, which I don't have, so I'll eat whatever it is on it's own. Before it was thawed I thought it was an Eastern-Europe inspired saurkraut dish, but it appears there is no saurkraut, so can't be that.
Good thing my main freezer rule is that nothing goes in if it didn't taste real good!

Now that sounds like a great pitch for a new TV game show..? :D

"Meal or no meal."

I even have some catchphrases.. "What's in the freezer, geezer?" "Let's guess the label of what's on the table!"

Good job it isn't a desert. You get nothing for a pear. Not in this game..

image.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that sounds like a great pitch for a new TV game show..? :D

"Meal or no meal."

I even have some catchphrases.. "What's in the freezer, geezer?" "Let's guess the label of what's on the table!"

Good job it isn't a desert. You get nothing for a pear. Not in this game..

View attachment 37628
I'm in! I expect diabetics are likely to win this show, familiar as we are with interpreting food labels!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon Chaps. Another scintillating day of revising cell biology and anatomy & physiology plus some legal stuff like the human rights act. Diabetes behaving itself, Dexcom currently has me at 97% in range, so I’ll take that. New sensor (activated yesterday) did the usual trick of giving a few spurious low readings in the first 18 hours, which has spoiled my 100% streak this week :banghead: Never mind. Makes me look almost human, I suppose, even if I am part cyborg. Clinic on Wednesday (hence the recent HbA1c test) looking forward to having a chat with my lovely consultant about it all. Been four months since the last one, they wanted to see me quite soon as I’d just started Looping when I went in August. I’m assuming it’ll get pushed back to 6 or even 12 monthly now. He’ll just be relieved I’m not going in with a shopping list of demands this time!

Yeah... no real news here. Husbeast just taken HideousSmallDiesel to get a new front tyre for Thursday’s MOT and has been persuaded to nip to Home Bargains for low carb beer for later. Thrilling stuff. Planning a day off from the books tomorrow, going to the cinema to see Star Wars again. Maybe a wander to the beach as well, weather permitting.

Stay well, friends x

Reactions: karen8967

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Afternoon Chaps. Another scintillating day of revising cell biology and anatomy & physiology plus some legal stuff like the human rights act. Diabetes behaving itself, Dexcom currently has me at 97% in range, so I’ll take that. New sensor (activated yesterday) did the usual trick of giving a few spurious low readings in the first 18 hours, which has spoiled my 100% streak this week :banghead: Never mind. Makes me look almost human, I suppose, even if I am part cyborg. Clinic on Wednesday (hence the recent HbA1c test) looking forward to having a chat with my lovely consultant about it all. Been four months since the last one, they wanted to see me quite soon as I’d just started Looping when I went in August. I’m assuming it’ll get pushed back to 6 or even 12 monthly now. He’ll just be relieved I’m not going in with a shopping list of demands this time!

Yeah... no real news here. Husbeast just taken HideousSmallDiesel to get a new front tyre for Thursday’s MOT and has been persuaded to nip to Home Bargains for low carb beer for later. Thrilling stuff. Planning a day off from the books tomorrow, going to the cinema to see Star Wars again. Maybe a wander to the beach as well, weather permitting.

Stay well, friends x
@LooperCat .................... never heard of low carb beer.... what's the brand and where to buy it plea foraging

Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LooperCat .................... never heard of low carb beer.... what's the brand and where to buy it plea foraging
“Skinny Lager” in Home Bargains at 3.5g carb a bottle tastes like a halfway decent Czech pilsner. There’s also Michelob Ultra in most big supermarkets at 3g a bottle/can but it’s not so nice.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I decided to not go to work today, I had a horrible BG day yesterday and bf’s ear infection is back. So I’m incredibly tired but BG is much better today. I made congee (rice porridge) for the bf like how my mum use to make it when I was unwell. Yesterday’s blood sugars ruined my Dexcom time in range so I’m internally screaming.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski . The beauty of technology is that it can be used to help us.
If you know that your BS levels are going to be running high for a reason that is largely beyond your control illness, stress or monthly cycle for example. These are all things that would affect non diabetics levels.
Make allowances for these events by re setting your Dexcom range. It’s not your fault and you shouldn’t be annoyed by being out of range on a gadget.
Personally time in range doesn’t bother me, but if it did I would set my high limit to a more sensible level during my illness or whatever.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the exams, @LooperCat .

They don't seem to let the grass grow on your course. What's your percentage contact time? It has to be pretty high, I'd have thought.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Lol, Not being 100% TIR is an annoyance for me too. I always try for the 2 weeks of 100% in range lol which I do manage to do sometimes and is something I always aim for. So I get really annoyed with those off highs or lows that the Dexcom likes to do after it's 2 hour warm up. That is one reason I like restarts, they don't have a tendency to do that as easily. A pod failure also messes it up!

Personally I know I am a little too riveted by it, but I think it's because it is an area of this disease I can control so I want to.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a very informative conversation from a T1 phamasist after a quest to source a new Libre yesterday after a 2 day quest...
Yep, I tried twix Crimbo & New Years too..
Due to the seasonal logistics organisation in my area it would appear easier to scrore heroin.
She was shocked I funded my own.. Gave me a few pointers..

Interesting day today. Met up with my GP. I know! It's Saturday. scheduled appointment.
After an A1c & wotnot check. "I can book you in for a follow up on the 4th 11.30."
Looks like I could well be on the road to changing my basal from Lantus. (I'm getting a referral.)
Also he voiced an opinion without any prompt, I should get the Libre prescribed after a little "demo" on my personal managment using it recently.. He seemed of the mindset before I even bothered. The surgery was hot & I had a tee shirt on.

A little premature celibration. I've also signed up to the Miaomiao club..

Just need to fill out my DIAB1 form now, & hopefully make it a "hatric" for 2020.. That is a concern. Though I have been discharged regarding the Macula issue. For the past 5 years. Lucky for me it was just the one eye up untill the last renewal.
I managed to scape through 3 years back with just the treatment on the one eye... ;)

Still, never mind. Back to finger pricking tomorrow. Back to work Monday..

My wife has has volunteered (after a discussion on the last few days.) to check out the chemists near her.. We've hatched a plan. With luck on her own quest, she can try to use use my prescription exempt card & get the sensor in my name VAT free..

To draw an analogy from the "music business" & my experience of... Being diabetic ain't far from it. Some good gigs, some not so good.. Let's see what my "contacts" do to help further my diabetes. The rest? Is still down to me..

I survived without the tech for many years. I should handle a few mo daze...

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, friends. My bf today reminded me that it was okay to be out of range and not have 100% time in range, because of issues with hypos etc. Which reminded me of the talk the group had back when I did DAFNE two months ago that I was only person panicking over high numbers and everyone was as calm as a clam about it. Like the guy who was 10 years older with a pump, his BG was climbing to 20’s over a banana and he increased his temp basal etc etc and it took forever to come back down. There have been times where work brought my BG readings down without a correction but yesterday was a nightmare, I was thirsty at 14 mmol and nothing changed for a few hours, despite a correction and lunch which was a salad (less than a fifth of an apple, very little cheese and light drizzle of balsamic vinegar) and a ginger beer (18g carbs) pushed it further up. I think my TOM is coming, I got ugly spots and all I want is the sweetest piece of chocolate or a slice of cake. Work teases me more because it’s always someone’s birthday and their family bring cake to celebrate
My dad called me today to ask when I can go home to see everyone. I didn’t tell anyone about my bf’s situation and I know I definitely can’t afford to take time off. But my bf said it’ll be okay once he has found something, he said he’ll do deliveries like uber eats or something. So that I can take time off to see my family. My brother and his gf bought kittens from her parents house and I want to see the them too. So far it’s one big grey mummy catto and small black kitten.

Reactions: Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends, I decided to double up on the bolus for my vegan protein shake and it worked amazingly. Ive been stable since last night. :) I hope everyone enjoys their last bit of the weekend.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin pump therapy is fast approaching and I can’t say I’m not nervous. I see my therapist on this Thursday so that should help ease my thinking. I was also considering taking a week off from work to figure out the pump after all my appointments, does anyone think that is a good idea? My dsn said it could be something that I could consider because I’ll still be paid, just not as much. I honestly don’t want work pushing me along with a pump that is figuring me out. I don’t know whether hypos will reoccur more, so I don’t want my manager and guests looking at me while Dexcom is like “I HEAR YOU LIKE TO EAT MORE”. There have been times where guests are laughing with me about the alarms and 99% of the time they ignore it or they are cool with it. Am I too complicated thinking like this? There are a lot of possibilities that might or might not happen. But I’m armed with coke, tablets and a double script of insulin cartridges for my pens.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Insulin pump therapy is fast approaching and I can’t say I’m not nervous. I see my therapist on this Thursday so that should help ease my thinking. I was also considering taking a week off from work to figure out the pump after all my appointments, does anyone think that is a good idea? My dsn said it could be something that I could consider because I’ll still be paid, just not as much. I honestly don’t want work pushing me along with a pump that is figuring me out. I don’t know whether hypos will reoccur more, so I don’t want my manager and guests looking at me while Dexcom is like “I HEAR YOU LIKE TO EAT MORE”. There have been times where guests are laughing with me about the alarms and 99% of the time they ignore it or they are cool with it. Am I too complicated thinking like this? There are a lot of possibilities that might or might not happen. But I’m armed with coke, tablets and a double script of insulin cartridges for my pens.

Oooooh. When is the big day, @MeiChanski ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Mei,

If you can get paid leave just to get your head round the new set up?. Go for it. (Possibly take the opportunity to visit your folks too?) ;)
Back in the day when I made the major change to MDI, I was at a dance college in Surry. Interesting times.

With regards to the beeping gadgetry.. You might be over thinking it a little. It's not uncommon for waiting staff these days to take orders on similar looking handheld devices.

Good luck with your impending appointments. Looking forward to reading about your next chapter.. :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@MeiChanski - can’t you turn the audible alarms off and switch to vibrations for when you’re at work? I just have a little rattle on my watch for my Dexcom, it means nobody but me knows my business with regards to blood sugar... my phone vibrates too. It’s set up to shout at me when I’m asleep though :)

Back to school today, feeling weirdly nervous.

Reactions: Juicyj

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

All set for work - I'm sure I'll be fine when I get there, but right now all I want to do is crawl back into bed. Still, after finally admitting the insulin in the Novorapid pen I'd been using for the last 10 days had definitely gone off (Days of long-distance walking not beating my numbers down with double insulin on board? That's not right in my normal experience!) I changed back to the cartridges and I've woken up on much a more reasonable figure this morning. I've still a box of disposable pens to use up of both Levemir and Novorapid, and I'm currently alternating between the disposable pens and cartridges.