1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@ert that is bad news. Hope running a bit higher helps.

Edited to fix typo

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi @SueJB, I moved from California.
    Hi @LooperCat I hope you feel better soon.
    It's a great place to vacation, that's why we fell in love with it and decided to move here! We used to vacation to Hawaii, Las Vegas and Flagstaff. I would never move to Las Vegas, why lol????............. And we loved Flagstaff, but there is the snow thing and being trapped in the house part of the year although Flagstaff isn't horrible, snow doesn't stay on the ground thick too long usually. But severely cold and we wanted to make sure we stayed active! So Hawaii won! I love forests, but beaches won out!

My avatar is the beach we see at the bottom of our road on the way to town!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Marie 2

[​IMG]
    I ran across this and couldn't resist posting it! I love my Doberman!! My dobermans have always been sweethearts, and would share anything with you, but not always other dogs !

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I remember thinking exactly the same thing and the DSN saying "Right Sue, your CP ratio is wrong let's change it to 1CP = 20"
    No wonder I have problems

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

@SueJB I spent most of yesterday being unsure of calculations I'm normally very sure of, just because I was doing the extra calculation back to CPs - even though my gut instinct was saying, "Yes, that's what you'd do for that amount of XYZ normally." I've compromised about lunches! I'm not a fan of canteen food at all, but for the sake of good course participation I'm eating some carbs that I normally wouldn't at that time of day and adding bits from my packed lunch if the veggie options are poor.

New machine up and running, though I won't put it into full use until my current one has run out of strips in about 10 days time.

More importantly, the new phone is working well and it's better for the basal alarm calls and reminders.

• Like Like x 1
  6. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Japes always ate my own pack up on the DAFNE course. They used to put stuff in the middle of the table we could eat if we wanted. Crisps, sandwiches and fruit. We all had to eat in the canteen on the final day as a test to eating out. Glad you are enjoying the course, I learnt so much about illness, exercise and just talking to others. There were things I disagreed with but for others it helped and we are all different as you say.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. becca59

Ok, how does that song go? Oh what a night! Having not had a night time hypo for weeks and then nothing too bad, last night was a permanent hypo. 15ml of Coke, 3 Jelly babies and 4 dextrose eaten over 6 hours and still only 5 on waking. Yesterday morning I was boasting about my level line for 30 odd hours. Knew it wouldn’t last but expected rises not hypos. The only thing different yesterday was the flu jab first thing. My arm is so sore and swollen I couldn’t lie on that side. Anyone else had excessive lows after a flu jab. Logically thought it may have made me higher. It is grandson Tuesday so I need to get some equilibrium back, he’ll be here in about 10 mins.

• Hug Hug x 8
  8. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just took my own lunch and ate what I always did... no increase in carbs for the sake of the course. People were surprised at my food

9. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So many cogitations with that comment! :D

I did Dafne (!) aeons ago - well it feels like it was - it was very informative and interesting, I remember with a slight tweak my BGs were superb during the course. What got me was the variability of all the participants with dosages, ratios, carbs eaten etc. Funny having a group discussion in the middle of the canteen whether the apple was 5 or 10g carbs.........it was a small apple!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all. BGs are being a right royal PITA today! Set change last night and I have had a rollercoaster ride ever since.....from 2.4 to 17.1. Will see what happens during today and maybe another set change tonight!

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. porl69

Quick question....anyone heard from @Kim Possible?? Not seen any posts for a few days now AND not coming up as being able to tag her. Her posts are still here. Strange???

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. slip

She was last active on Friday early morning, you say you can't tag her but have?!?!? (however I've just tried and failed) She didn't say she was going away or anything last time did she? @Kim Possible the account is still live, wonder if theres been a system change and it has a problem tagging someone with a space in their avatar? (Long shot, very long indeed!)

Edit to add: on posting this post it did tag her but not whilst typing the post originally!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. porl69

Thanks @slip I noticed as I posted that it turned red!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh no, not another valuable and knowledgable T1 banned, I hope? Who’s next?

• Agree Agree x 4
    #24394 LooperCat, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  15. slip

@LooperCat I'm hoping you're jumping to the wrong conclusion. however it is unusual for her not to post about her busy schedule of meetings, spin classes and climbing - oh and the odd mention of diabetes :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. becca59

Hoping for a hypo free night tonight

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

We've been having a canteen lunch every day. There is a bowl full of biscuits/crisps and also hypo treatments on the table in our room. The only time anyone has had biscuits is before driving home if blood sugars have indicated this would be sensible!

@SueJB I decided, when I heard one day was to be carb-free, to demonstrate what happens when I eat "normally". So, Monday's chips did exactly as I expected (seemed fine, but the carbs kicked in later) and yesterday's jacket potato sent me to the stratosphere 2 hours after lunch, but was worn off by the time I got home again as anticipated.

Just physically being with a group of people who totally get the relentless life long nature of an insulin-dependent lifestyle, be it T1, LADA or T2 on insulin, is probably being the best bit for our group as well as the talking about it all informally. Oh, and possibly the new diabetes toys we've nearly all got now! I am now the proud owner of new half unit Echo pens and just awaiting the new prescription to be able to use them - though, I'll need to use up the flex pens in the fridge first. Plus the new meter for bloods/ketones which shouldn't be obsolete in less than the two years of my last hospital issued machine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good morning all and the middle of the week already :wideyed:
    I have had a few good days BG wise, steady levels during last night, then a rise up to 10.7 this morning, darn liver :rolleyes:

Wishing you all a very Happy Wednesday :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. becca59

Whoop a hypo free night. Lovely time in the blue. The previous night’s experiences must have been due to the flu jab. Going to plant the winter bedding with ‘in bloom’ this morning.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Marie 2

My dog has her Libre on!!! You can see it just above the shirt, which is supposed to help protect it, but I’m going have to do some sewing for a smaller neck! I’m excited, no more (almost) lip sticking the dog for at least two weeks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    #24400 Marie 2, Oct 23, 2019 at 7:52 AM
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook