Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just touching base, I know I haven't been around much lately, work has been pretty full on and I guess I've landed on a different routing WFH.

@MeiChanski hope you are getting better - as for your boss, you some how pick'em don't you!?!
@Japes & @Fairygodmother we have a budding opera singer just across the way, I like a certain amount of opera singing*, but the warm up/repetitive practicing does wear a bit thin, but she is good when she's actually singing something.

BGs have been fair good of late, especially yesterday stayed well in range all day until it came to a BBQ, the porks coating must have had a ton of sugar in it...………...:rolleyes:

*a small amount :sorry:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w done lots of walks in Spofforth area.

'Twas the 'Harland way' that I was on having come through Wetherby, nice countryside and next time I intend to do a loop of what's called the 'red kite' trail. A couple of my mates ride it and I plan to join them but wanted to recce what was what beforehand :)

Edit, I've always fancied a crack with a Tenor sax but feel it may be too loud for the neighbours, I can just about get away with guitars and the electric only comes out when both sides of me are out too :p I did hear about an instrument called a Xaphoon which is a recorder with a reed mouthpiece but is in c with 2 octaves and a tenor sax is b flat so I don't know...

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
all I need to do is help with sentence structure/punctuation where they've clearly been thinking in their first language!
Sentence structure is the worst! (Well, that and those pesky false friends.) I'm doing quite well in your language, if I may say so, but I can stare at sentences I wrote for minutes sometimes, knowing something's not completely right but not able to work out what is wrong :banghead:.
I regularly use google to look up words, but structure isn't easily looked up. Oh well, usually you get my gist, which is the important part. At least as long as your work is not graded :D.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Sentence structure is the worst! (Well, that and those pesky false friends.) I'm doing quite well in your language, if I may say so, but I can stare at sentences I wrote for minutes sometimes, knowing something's not completely right but not able to work out what is wrong :banghead:.
I regularly use google to look up words, but structure isn't easily looked up. Oh well, usually you get my gist, which is the important part. At least as long as your work is not graded :D.
Your written English is better than many native speakers’ Antje! I think I’ve said that before, but I sympathise with the time it takes wondering if it’s right.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

You may indeed say so - I reckon you do brilliantly.

This uni work proofreading I do to help friends is definitely only because they know their stuff well, I've never not understood what they mean, and what I do is tidying up for them. I've seen the improvement over the couple of years of us doing this, and it's rewarding to see. Plus, at the moment they have two school-aged children (lower secondary age) working at home alongside them and this is something I can do to help in this situation.

Unlike someone else, who I also proofread for, for whom English is the native language, and who consistently refuses to improve the quality of the written work I get to proofread and consistently refuses to use any of the strategies I've suggested may help. Though, I may have got there with one small one. I may get to stop doing this one soon if my other possible big decision goes ahead once some things can start happening again. (But I have learnt never to make big decisions at difficult times if I can avoid it so won't voice that one properly just now.)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Antje77 are you just fishing? ;) I defy anyone to know from what you post on here that you're not a native English speaker. Agree with @Fairygodmother and @Japes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Antje77 are you just fishing? ;) I defy anyone to know from what you post on here that you're not a native English speaker. Agree with @Fairygodmother and @Japes.
Not fishing, but I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the compliments!
But there are many dead give-aways in my posts that I'm not a native, especially in the structure of my sentences and in a choice of words that aren't so much wrong, but just slightly off or unusal. I simply have a much smaller collection of words to choose from than a native.
My freely using American and English English at the same time is a strong pointer as well of course, impossible for me to separate the two. Dutch schools seem to favour 'proper' English, but I learned most by reading and music. I don't usually notice if I'm reading English or American writers. I mean, who cares, when you just want to know if the dragon will need to be slain or if it turns out to be a friend to the protagonist?

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all - hope your days have been good and BGs behaving in this heat (mine certainly isn’t).

Hugs to those who need them x

Reactions: kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s still warm here, and I sympathise with climate changed bloods @ArtemisBow. We hoped we’d have a thunderstorm but it was not to happen, sad, I love a good, dramatic, air clearing thunderstorm.
Hope everyone’s bloods behave during the hours of darkness, and lucky you if you have rain tonight.

Reactions: Marie 2 and kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all. Cooler here too, having all the windows open is very pleasant today. No overnight rain, sadly, and it seems the cloudy sky’s not got the right kind of clouds for any today.
Husband did oven cooked fish and chips last night. He’d walked past a long-queue chippy and got the urge: a few overnight corrections followed but I overdid them a tad so 3.8 this morning.
I told the newly hardened off veg plants that I’d clear the nasty stuff from their new home and some of them would be planted out today - luckily I didn’t say which ones. A bit of part-time job admin has to be done so they may have to wait til tomorrow.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, up and out early today, realy enjoyed a cooler walk. It was raining when I got up but not enough to make a difference to anything, and stopped byt het ime I wen out. Bgs dropped suddenly whilst I was out, not sure why but thank goodness for jelly babies!

Hope everyone's well, and for those of you actually going to work or working from home, it's a Bank Holiday - something to look forward to!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, up and out early today, realy enjoyed a cooler walk. It was raining when I got up but not enough to make a difference to anything, and stopped byt het ime I wen out. Bgs dropped suddenly whilst I was out, not sure why but thank goodness for jelly babies!

Hope everyone's well, and for those of you actually going to work or working from home, it's a Bank Holiday - something to look forward to!
my bgs kept dropping yesterday for no reason was struggling to stay above 4 all day ,this morning seems to have settled again ive give up trying to work it out just go with the flow and hope for the best ;)

Reactions: Marie 2 and kev-w

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Take care all, the heat has been dropping me alot recently too, time to adjust !

Hope everyone is ok, sorry not been around much, home schooling and work seem to be taking up alot of my time, then trying to fit in exercise on top leaves very little free time - hoping the world can return to some sort of normal soon :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just filled in a massive possible return to work form. (We are not looking at a June 1st return, but in my scenarios the logistics are horrific and it's probably going to take until our named date to get some kind of rota sorted.) I may have caused massive HR headaches, as in I don't have other caring responsibilities, I live alone, so would be high on the list for returning easily, but I do have one of their named health conditions. They also wanted to know about how I travelled to work ("I mostly walk, but need to use public transport if my blood sugars indicate walking is a bad idea. Or the weather is bad.") and could I cycle or use a car ("No, I don't own either a bike or a car and have no intention of buying either at this time.") I will let them sort that one and take their decision either way. I want to return, but don't see the need to put myself at a higher risk than I have to if there is no need.

It's a bit breezy here! Here's hoping the washing dries but doesn't blow away.

Bloods beautifully behaved. Basal almost back to pre-lockdown levels now I'm back to my customary amount of walking in a day. Long may it last!!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, just had a long walk with sunshine and showers! Notheavy, and not really enough to help anything that's in the ground, but refreshing.

Hope you all have a good Bank Holiday weekend doing something you enjoy whilst staying alert ;)

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, spiked again in the night, 2 nights running, 2 nights less carbs in my tea and 2 nights needing the same amount of insulin, lack of the gym routine catching up I'd reckon and I've only cycled 3 times all week, and it's looking like I'll spike after breakfast too even after a pre bolus correction,, but that's more bad tactics than the food as porridge for me likes the injection 15mins beforehand not immediately before as this morning, but I did have insulin on board.

Waffle :p Saturday, coming to the end of the prep work (he says in a hopeful way) but have taken delivery of the skirting boarding and architrave in primed mdf so think I'll get the chop saw out and do the mitres and paint before I paper as they'll need painting.

It's all go :p

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a very good start of my day. Good thing social distancing rules are starting to give us some more wiggle room, I had coffee with my neighbours :)

100740259_10220852918827105_4538643163186724864_o.jpg