Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, got a lot colder overnight here, looking forward to things warming up today.

@MeiChanski sorry to hear you've been having problems with the tech; I think some people must just not be sticky and as one of them, I feel your pain. I'm going to take up @Marie 2's suggestion and try SkinTac. Hope that might work for you too, enjoy being back at uni.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the love :)

I hope everyone is doing okay as well! I have tried skin tac, but I think I need another kind of tape, skin tac works up until the tape starts to fray around the edges and that’s when I’m hoping nothing gets caught under it. I was so sweaty this summer, and that’s when I started to face the issues of things not staying put.

Unfortunately I have gained so much weight, not with the pump, but at work. It’s hard to know if it’s fat gain or muscle gain but I have that to tackle.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Lovely to hear from you again @MeiChanski and the great news of being back at uni...............Yey!! fabulous
Loved seeing the garden photos @Marie 2
Now that Libre2 no longer come with antiseptic wipe included in the box, the cheapskates!!!!, can anyone recommend something they buy? Thanks

Reactions: MeiChanski

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@SueJB I have always used plain alcohol with cotton pads. You can clean a bigger area easier with more alcohol.

@MeiChanski I always take a Qtip with more Skin Tac to go under the edges of my Dexcom once it starts peeling up. I know the Libre doesn't have much of an edge but you might try it. You could also add some to the top of the adhesive around it too. I used to do that when I had one on my dog to keep it on when the edges started coming up. Her hair growing under it would really loosen the sensor easy in some areas. Me with Skin Tac used on the Libre before placing it, I have to pry it off of me.

Just in case I use Skin Tac differently and it makes a difference. I apply a liberal amount of Skin Tac once the Libre's ready to insert, being careful to avoid the needle in the middle. Then I wait for it to get very tacky before I apply it on me. Lifting the applicator up gently after to make sure I don't loosen it when pulling it off. Since I wait for the Skin Tac to get tacky and I was liberal with it, it gets a little sticky pulling the applicator off. You can hold down the edge of the adhesive if needed. Then I am careful about it for about a half hour to make sure it has completely dried underneath. I use the liquid bottle, I find the wipes to be ineffective as it's harder to use them and you can't apply as much.

People also really like Grif Grips, I'm allergic to them but it would give a little more adhesive power to it and they have some really cute ones. You can also add more Skin Tac before applying an overpatch, I do that with my Dexcom overpatch because I keep them on for 15-35 days, that has worked like a charm and I'm not touching them up anymore for at least 20 days..

Last edited:
Reactions: MeiChanski

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1627216960247.jpg

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The problem with changing a pod that decided not to work at night, it still haunts you 3 days later as it wants to get changed at 3 in the morning again. It has an 8 hour grace period, but it still insisted on beeping and being acknowledged before I could shut it up and go back to sleep. Now if I had remembered, I would have changed it out the evening before. Or buried the PDM at the other end of the house lol. At least I went back to sleep.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My Bg levels behaved themselves so nicely!!! I had mild DP, but I ate a piece of raisin toast in preparation (fuel) for snorkeling and controlled it easily. Right before snorkeling I was at 7 and had about 10 carbs and never went above 8.4. And then I slowly dropped over the next 2 hours to 5.8. I took 2 units when I got out and never drastically climbed or anything. It was great. Repeat please!

Sunny day, water temperature nice, but snorkeling sucked lol.............Bg levels so perfect but the water was murky for here and visibility was only about 6 feet. The current was super strong, my husband followed me to the other side and actually got out and walked back and then got back in lol. Of course it's nicer when the current isn't as strong but I actually sort of like the work out of swimming against it. I did it 3 times back and forth and my back is even protesting this time. Saw a few turtles but if you stopped to watch them, you would drift easily and you lost them because it was so murky and the current was so strong.

I believe a turtle actually got mad at a smaller turtle which you don't usually see. They were both hanging out in the reef and the larger one had small fish cleaning it's shell and I think the smaller one was trying to do the same thing. But because the current was so strong they were being jostled around a lot. The small one did a pretty good bump against the bigger one and it sure looked like the larger one might have snapped at the smaller one. The smaller one zipped about 6 feet away really fast then they both just continued to chill. They bump each other all the time, but it's usually an easy bump or jostle and this happened fast, but that's sure the impression I got!

Reactions: KK123

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 They will replace it, but it's a pain to replace it right before bedtime and then you can't trust it's accuracy for the night or the next morning. Then you have to do a finger stick test to tell what you are actually at because you don't have a clue how far off it will be.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning Karen, morning all, had a busy few days here. Met up with my sis, bro-in-law and nephew for lunch on Wednesday as they were on holiday somewhere we could both reach with about an hour's driving - otherwise we're 170 miles apart. Had a very long lunch and great to see them. Had someone else come to quote for my kitchen on Thursday, Friday was errands and the dentist's - got to have two root fillings, ugh, but not until 5 November. Let's hope there are no fireworks with my teeth! And yesterday was a morning volunteering in my local wood, then carrying on digging out all the plants in my front garden. More of that today before the (badly needed) rain sweeps in.

@Antje77 isn't that one of the most annoying things? I did that with my last one, and as it only had less than 24 hours to go I didn't in all conscience think I could ask for a replacement, especially as I think it was partly my fault.

Hope you're all having a good weekend whatever you're doing!

Reactions: karen8967

Tracyserajian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

So, I’ve Been invited to start this NHS England trial and will fit my Medtronic 780G tomorrow. The sensor comes the second week and I go ‘live’ the week after. I’m excited and apprehensive. Im currently using the Omnipod system and like the tubeless system. As I’ve no idea how this new system works yet, I’m a bit concerned that it will be a tube system. Is anyone actually on this trial already? TIA Tracy

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 They will replace it, but it's a pain to replace it right before bedtime and then you can't trust it's accuracy for the night or the next morning. Then you have to do a finger stick test to tell what you are actually at because you don't have a clue how far off it will be.
I put the new sensor on right away last night and figured I'd start it after getting up this morning to give it some time to bed in. I've never had a nighttime hypo in over 4 years I've been using the Libre (except for that one lantus Low, but that doesn't count) so no issue to skip a night. Only downside is no alarm if I start to rise in the early morning, but I haven't needed a correction during the night in the past 6 days or so, so chances were I wouldn't need it this night either.
So I went to sleep without worries, and even if I would rise due to DP, so what, it's only one day and I don't expect to rise over 9 even if it happens.

Woke up, did a finger prick, 3.8! Whut???
I always need a couple of units for Foot on the Floor, so I figured I'd just get up, make coffee, feed the goats, chickens, guinea pigs and bunnies to give FOTF a head start, and dose for it by the time I sat down with my coffee.

Grabbed my Reader to start the sensor only to have it say the sensor had already been started with another device. Huh? Checked my phone to see I apparently started the sensor at 5AM.
I must really be taking my diabetes very seriously if I even scan in my sleep!

So now I have a sensor which will end in the middle of the night, and no reader for the next two weeks. Not a big issue, the first thing will be easily rectified by sleeping and only starting the sensor after waking up, losing a few hours of data. The second thing is more annoying: I use the reader twice a week when swimming. It sits in a waterproof bag on the edge of the pool, next to an apple, and halfway through I just swim to the side, scan, have a couple of bites of my apple if dropping, and never even need to get out of the water.
This is possible with my phone as well, but it doesn't like to be handled through the bag so it's a fight to make it scan.
Not the end of the world, but still one of those pesky little diabetic annoyances.

By the time I sat down with my coffee I felt slightly shakey, fingerprick said 3.7. So instead of the expected insulin I had a swig of milk, which took me up to a comfortable 5.1, and FOTF never came.
Very odd, the one night in years I don't have my Libre is the only time ever I had a nighttime hypo, and the only time I didn't have FOTF.

At least my BG's are nice and stable so I can calibrate DiaBox! :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 Sorry but I am sat here in stitches laughing! Only diabetics could have this drama in the morning instead of just enjoying their breakfast.
My morning went like this:- old Libre 1 sensor due to finish. First Libre 2 sensor applied yesterday for bedding in, poised ready to start. Great excitement! Activated, only 60 minutes to wake. IT DIDNT WORK!! It eventually told me to put on another sensor. Grrr! All the anticipation ruined in one fell swoop. Have been using Libre 1 about 4 years, never ever had one fail at the start. You couldn’t make it up. Anyway pleased to report second one worked. Ironically the one that didn’t came direct from Abbott (phone call tomorrow) the second from the chemist via my prescription. I am nervously awaiting my first alarm.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 Sorry but I am sat here in stitches laughing! Only diabetics could have this drama in the morning instead of just enjoying their breakfast.
It was even worse! I woke up because I got a phonecall from my aunt. It was 11:00 AM so I tried to pretend I had been wide awake and doing useful things for hours instead of sleeping in, making small talk with my aunt while testing and finding out I had this mystery hypo, and then came this confusing cascade of happenings, all before my first cup of coffee.
Took me half the pot of coffee before I felt anything made sense again! :hilarious:

Why is it that at 44 I still feel I need to look like a responsible adult for my aunt? It's ridiculous, I can sleep in if I want to, nothing wrong with that!
I am nervously awaiting my first alarm.
Exciting!
When I first started the Libre2 I first ate without injecting to try out the alarm and then overdid the bolus to try out the other alarm (I'm not very patient when I have a new thing to play with).
It was no use, as I wanted to use DiaBox as well, and I did something wrong with the settings so no alarms ever came until weeks later when I finally figured out how to make it work.