1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Do you keep your pump in the same place all the time?
    Mine tends to be moved around a lot depending on what I am wearing and doing.
    For example, during a 45 minute session at the gym, I have to move it from my back (for running), to my front (for hand weights) and to my side for stomach crunches. And, when I am chilling on the sofa it just sits on the couch next to me as I fidget a lot and will end up resting on it at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I didn’t explain myself very well, I don’t think. It’s not itchiness, the sticky stuff on both is fine (I do use Skin Tac for the Libre, but not the pod, no need to). It’s like I can feel something sticking in me, both the cannula and the filament. It’s probably totally psychosomatic, perhaps now the novelty of it has all worn off a little, my brain might be playing tricks on me...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes I move it to a different spot on the belt when playing guitar, as it knocks on the guitar body. But otherwise, it stays in one spot. I'm not as physically active as you, so it tends to stay clipped to my belt, and then loose in bed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It makes us like the oily fish then kitedoc, now which would you choose to be: mackerel, sardine, herring or pilchard?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fairygodmother

I go on feeling the libre on my right arm for a few days after I’ve removed it - phantom libre syndrome. The less sensitive left arm varies, maybe it’s the way they’re attached and removed? I’m right-handed.

6. Fairygodmother

Send the sun down here Cumbs, it’s been grey all day

• Like Like x 3
  7. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness I have that too. Thought I was peculiar! Such a relief

• Like Like x 1
  8. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well that was a pointless exercise really, perhaps I’m just expecting too much, like reading my notes before hand. :wacky:

• Hug Hug x 2
  9. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@slip . Sounds like things didn’t go as you may have wanted.
    Was it that bad really?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What happened, mate?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

well after loosing over a stone in a year I am having and ESR raeding and a FBC done again, find out the results on Thursday

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Excellent! My new line manager didn't have any clue about my diabetes. I'm obviously far more discreet about how I handle it at work than I thought I was.

I did point out I did work in an area where those who needed to know knew how to handle it, that my students all knew what to do, ("Get your meds bag and Main Colleague!") and that was what really mattered on a day to day basis.

• Like Like x 2
  13. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well I said I wanted to try fiasp, when I had my last cgm on I concentrated on breakfast and insulin timing purely because that’s my most regulated meal, sure enough prebolusing 10-15 mins gave me a much flatter bg profile - response was well carry on prebolusing, why do they say to use diasend when they don’t actually use it? He said he probably couldn’t remember his password - fortunately I had it accessible on my tablet, on to statins, I’m concerned some of my aches and pains might be attributed to them, basically that was a no apparently but at least he agreed in the end to do a blood test, except when the consultation was over all the nursing staff had gone home so have to arrange to have have bloods taken at my GP, that’s another battle and further time away from work, he had no idea how long I’ve been T1 nor about my kidney condition (unrelated to the d, and actually picked up when first dx’d) embarrassing when he mentions protein in urine, when in my notes it says all about it and all the investigations that went with it mind you that’s not the first time this has happened especially when you never see the same person twice.

Hey ho! Grumble over.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@slip . What a pain in the a***. Just proves who the experts are.
    I had a diabetic review at my new surgery. Hilarious doesn’t do it justice. Why do i inject before my meals? :banghead::banghead::banghead: Honestly my 7 yr old granddaughter knows more about T1 diabetes than the so called “ diabetic nurse “
    Sometimes we just have to grin and bear it and hope next time we get lucky.
    Hey ho bro:):):)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. CranberryIce

CranberryIce Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Evening all! I have had a very Busy (good busy) week so not had a chance to catch up on everyones posts.

A busy week at work and a weekend catching up with family and friends.

Nothing exciting to report on bloods. Hopefully last set of tests coming up and if everything is in range... can start a round of fertility treatment

@Cumbs good luck for Wed xx

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleep well

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. CranberryIce

CranberryIce Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@slip- argh, that is frustrating. I usually ignore everything my nurse tells me and just grin and bear it - as I ‘have’ to see her annually.

Did make me cross when she tried to take the credit for my reduced hba1c- at which I made it clear, I only achieved by ignoring her advice

@therower- yup, my nurse can’t get her head around pre-bolusing either.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Goodnight all

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My lot are quite good. At the moment I'm going to both the main hospital clinic and also doing the normal GP visits. The most recent visit with the GP, it was with a new nurse because the regular one was away. Apparently the regular one said something like "You've got him, it should be interesting, he'll be able to tell you about lots of things about T1", so we had a nice chat. They mostly had T2 experience, so a reasonable amount of new things. Since I'm not really after advice normally, just a run through of the various tests to ensure there's nothing popping up, this works well for me.

(there was one experience with a GP a few years back who wanted a detailed list of BSLs and got quite grumpy when I didn't have one. Obviously libre provides that now. They wanted to be a lot more active in setting my regime, whereas I've always just taken what's been suggested as a starting point then worked my way up or down from that.)

• Like Like x 4
  20. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A sun-baked mackerel just about sizes me up @Fairygodmother. In summer heat I am likely to go to jelly. The resistance to cold temperatures is lost on me in this Australian climate. Maybe I need to live in cold storage!?
    What I wonder about is how, in very cold climate, the act of procreation is achieved ? No diagrams please !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook