1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all,
    Happy start to the day 5.1 and I did everything on my list yesterday as well as meeting Mr B in town for the wine.
    On today's list, a little more shopping for bits to take to friends on route on the grand tour. Doggie chews at the top of the list for mates' hound in Viseu.
    The weather looks good so a bit of digging.
    Have a good day

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday everyone. Woke to a 6.7 after late night corrections - over calculated for a Thai takeaway. Hamish will be taken out to the restaurant when he no longer needs regular bags of frozen peas in the evening. Older daughter and our son-outlaw called in on their way to a comedy standup, happy.
    A friend came round earlier in the day and she wondered what would happen to the peas when Hamish no longer needed them. Would we eat them. Would you?

• Like Like x 3
  3. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It would depend. If the bag had only been de-frosted once, then yes, I would. Only take a moment's dunking in the water, sauce or whatever though, Also good uncooked in salads and snacks. If the bag has been repeatedly frozen and thawed, then no, I wouldn't. Better safe than sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fairygodmother

I’m with you on this one. It’ll have been in and out of the freezer umpteen times.

• Like Like x 1
  5. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Fairygodmother Mumstill putting frozen peas on her knee and she had it done 24 Jan. Didn’t tell you at time, her op was a success but a fortnight later she had awful complications from the blood thinners. Her knee is fine but the rest of the leg could take another 3 months to correct. Was watching your progress intently and was pleased to see it more straightforward. She’s up to 3/4 mile each day now but still in pain. Peas and paracetamol her best friends.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fairygodmother

Oh yes, peas, paracetamol, co-codemol at night, are all wonderful! I hope your mother’s recovery continues. The last two nights I’ve been woken by a really horrid pain, like lightening strikes under the patella, so I’m keeping my fingers firmly crossed that it’s nerves that are settling. I looked at the NHS site on knee replacements and it states that pain usually continues for three months (I’ve been trying to avoid the opioids I was sent home with, especially as there are always a few opium poppies that spring up in the garden, might be too tempting), and full recovery takes a year.
    Right now it seems to be that one or two days of happy walking, sometimes with no crutch, are followed by one or two days of an extra need to take things easy. At least the exercises are getting easier and the swearing while doing them’s diminishing. I have had to give away a ticket to Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake as the thought of sitting in a theatre, and people squeezing past, was just jaw clenching.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I've had to write a note, to my friend who occasionally stays and also occasionally cooks for us both, on my bags of sweetcorn that they are not for eating after umpteen thawings and refreezings. She likes sweetcorn, I, however, do not! Which is why I have them as my ice packs.

Luckily last time she noted the "Best Before" date of 2015 before adding them to dinner...

They are currently in use whilst I decide if 16 miles is long enough of a walk or whether I'm going to go out again today or not.

• Like Like x 3
  8. becca59

@Fairygodmother interesting re the exercises, mum hasn’t been given any. Just told that she needs to be walking a mile by the time he next sees her.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fairygodmother

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/...-following-total-knee-replacement-surgery.pdf

I was given a sheet of them when I was discharged but I also did a google and this seemed good. I think it makes a difference. I’ve also got a hospital physio appointment on April Fools Day () which should take it further.
    The whole experience has been pretty well managed: Joint School - as if someone at uni in the 60’s needed that - and pre op, a physio session before discharge and an app from the hospital for the whole knee replacement journey. Postcode Lottery again .

• Like Like x 2
  10. CranberryIce

CranberryIce Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Been to the footy match this afternoon was naughty and had a sausage butty at half time

• Like Like x 5
  12. WuTwo

We live once. It's the weekend, and what's a footy match without a treat.... no guilt, enjoy, inject and be happy!

I say that because I just scoffed an almond Magnum (vegan, but hey - carbs are carbs)

• Like Like x 5
  13. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I’ve just had a tortilla crammed with chicken, peppers and onions - if I’m brave I may test my BS later on!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

well I started open looping on my Insight pump last Saturday, all has been ok so far but I have progressed to closed looping tonight so we will see how it goes. It was quiet easy to set up using Andriod Studio and AndriodAPS

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. WuTwo

I'm not a pumper and am a little puzzled by all this but I hope it goes well for you!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Morning all!

I walked off yesterday's carb-related treats in fine style and have woken up on an excellent starting number for a Sunday morning Some Long Walk days I do really well with the insulin guestimate for how much to take off for food when out walking, and others it goes pear-shaped and rage bolusing may or may not take place when I'm home. The trick really seems to be a short walk after any evening meal regardless of how many miles I've done in the day. SImilar to Sunday Morning's new routine of a 45 minutes walk before church.

Also, it's a beautifully sunny day. The housework may get left again especially as I've got to be the Responsible Adult for some days this week whilst Main Colleague is out on training and therefore I need to do a bit of a think about how to get some stuff done, whilst making Other Colleagues thinking it was their idea. Ideally, so I can sit down with the written work and sort out what hasn't been done properly. Technically I'm not responsible for half the group's written work, the reality is all the students prefer me to check their work, as I get it right first time before it goes through the official marking process. The tactful explanation is I've supported on this course for 4 years now, the less tactful will get me moderated for bad language.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Morning from sunny Somerset. After my mini carb fest last night I plucked up courage and, with some intrepidation, tested after 2 hours and got a 6.4 so had a packet of popcorn and 2 clementines and went to bed at 6.1 - my FBS at 5.30 this morning was 5.2 so not a bad result.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all. I went to bed on a 9.1 with 2u correction, and was awoken by xdrip saying 3.6, ten minutes before I normally get up. Luckily it's risen by itself and is now steady at 4.8ish. I'm off for a 5k run in the lovely sunshine. I hope you all have a great day.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. WuTwo

Morning all. Woke up on 4.6 which was a surprise but I'm pleased.

I don't have that many plans for the day - I had some sort of non-specific snotty bug last week which never came to anything, but left me tired (actually shattered). Gone now, which is great, so I'll be able to get back to my stitching without it giving me a stonking great headache. I've felt sort of naked without a needle and thread around me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  20. becca59

There’s been an overnight frost here but it’s beautifully sunny now. Hurrah! Bring on Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook