Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon friends,
I had a hypo around 6:45 this morning, 3.6 then rose to 6.1. So I went back to bed and now I’m on 5.8 :)
Absolutely gorgeous afternoon, no tan for me this summer and my mum is going to ask why am I ghostly pale.

Reactions: WuTwo

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is really starting to hack me off now. Just about every morning after my brekkie my BG goes high and stays highish until around 11 am when it starts to drop and by lunchtime its perfect. Happy with that.

Just about every Saturday I have my brekkie and drive to local nature reserve. I then go for a very gentle stroll and do some birdwatching. I am talking about a very very gentle stroll, really taking my time. Almost without fail after bout 30 minutes my BG will drop and drop fairly rapidly, from around 7.5 to around 4 and still heading south. That is despite adjusting my pump to a 20% temp basal.

Today was no exception, so to counter this, I took twice as much carbs as normal. Got up had brekkie with a BG of 5.6. By the time I got to nature reserve about 45 minutes later BG had gone to 9.6. Happy with that. 20 minutes later it drops to 8.2 and heading south. I then set temp basal to 0%. I took about 4 Quality Street to see me through. 10 minutes later its now 7.1, still heading south. A couple more Quality Street and I should be OK. EHHH No. BG now down to 5.1

So despite all the extra carbs for brekkie and a number of choccies my BG has almost come down 50% in under 40 minutes. Of course I am now about 40 mins from car park, so wee bit panic sets in, so time to drink some cola and a handful of jelly babies.
Back at car and BG is only at 6.7.

This only ever seems to happen on a Saturday morning and only when I go to this nature reserve.

Could I be entering a twilight zone there?????????????????

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Two hours of gardening completed before 9am. Waking early was very useful.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I felt a sudden drop in my BG as I was waiting for food to be cooked and my eye vision went into 320P. Given that my kitchen was warm and outside was warm - my consultant is going to have his moment in giving me a lecture for that one. I was nibbling on a banana and apple so my vision came back, then food was ready.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
That doesn't sound so good. Should you report it to your team?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I will retime Fiasp again. Given the weather, I'd say 5 mins before food or when good touches my mouth. This is the first time I've experienced Fiasp working so quickly. Usually I have to give it 10 mins or so. I'll ask my DSN on monday for her input because I'm not working with Novorapid anymore. I'm still quite new to Fiasp.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Right - time to crack on with my chores before I can declare my time my own for the weekend!

Reactions: MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a bit worried though because I repeated my prescription a bit too late. So I am on my last test strip until monday or tuesday, but I have my new sensor on, should I trust my sensor from now and until I get my prescription? I tested just now, libre send 2.4 and blood meter said 4.6. My faith in the sensor is like one foot in and one foot out. :hilarious:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 what insulin do you have in your pump and how long does it take to have an affect?
I ask because my Fiasp takes about 15 to take affect so have to reduce basal 15 minutes before starting exercise. Changing basal when I start exercising is too late.
Perhaps if you reduce your basal 15 minutes before reaching your nature reserve may help.

Hi @helensaramay I am taking Novorapid, which typically takes about 20/25 minutes before it works.

Honestly every other day of the week I am fine, if anything a little high, in the mornings. Its not as if the walk is strenuous, it is just a very gentle stroll mainly down a very slight hill and then flat

The problem is when I see it drop so quick and so unexpectedly, I am usually about 30/40 minutes from car. So I tend to panic a wee bit and will overcompensate eg drink cola plus jelly babies and pay for it later. I am now sitting on BG of around 11

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a letter today to say I have a Freestyle Libre review on 20th Septemeber. Does anyone know what I should be expecting? I know I'd have someone chase me up on it. My consultant never gave me the heads up, he was more like I'll prescribe it for 6 months and see you in 4 months. Is it like how are you getting on with it?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's on the list. I've never been and I hear good things; waiting for a slightly cooler day later in the week.

Another vote for Chester from here! My teacher training happened there as did my first job, I had organ lessons on the Cathedral organ, my godchildren's elder sibling is still there... I'd possibly still be there if I hadn't gone off on a tangent for 20 years or so with something else. Still, I'm near enough for the occasional day off there and still do enjoy a day wandering around.

Reactions: hh1 and Knikki

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I am suffering the grim consequences of eating bought food twice in one week - I had takeaway on Wednesday and shop bought pizza last night. My insides hardly ever see bought food - one of us always cooks (or chops raw veg, at lunch) from basic ingredients. Serves me right. So tonight will be risotto rice with fine sliced seitan through it, and a nice bland mushroom sauce. That does sound like fun. I might even follow with a banana. Lovely and bland.....:wacky:

Reactions: MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's to us eating oreos and drinking coke because our diabetes is screaming at the weather. My insulin pens are in the fridge until further notice. (it won't live in a room with two running computers and 30 degree weather) :hilarious:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The sun and heat finally made it to Leeds whoop! BBQ
IMG_1561818227.088968.jpg
Feeling stuffed. Even had french stick. A luxury as I don’t normally eat bread these days. Could be fun later.

Reactions: porl69 and WuTwo

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys at my next diabetes meeting in few weeks is it worth asking about glucorx allpresan to put on my feet in case I get issues?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski take care using insulin pens direct from the fridge. They are more likely to get bubbles in and the insulin hurts when injected. You may find it better to keep them in a food cupboard in the kitchen where they are in the shade. But not the cupboard next to the oven.
Thank you, We live above 4 car garages so 95% of this house is very warm. I had a walk around and only the bathroom seems cool enough so I stored it in there for the time being. :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I have a nice mug of fresh chamomile tea. I use organic dried flowers and just steep them for a few minutes. Terrific for stress and, oddly, for soothing fractious kids at bedtime (they actually sell it for that purpose in teabags but I like to get the herbs - then I can mix and match)