Type 2 Life

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in the past he's had headaches and that for him usually meant a change of prescription but he hadn't been for a check up for 6 years . Then like I said last new years eve he went and problems have been none stop . This is why I worry so much , just wondering what the next problem is going to be , I dare say will find out soon enough .
I can't tell you what to do, that sounds harsh but it's not meant that way, you seem very worried & stressed so try & get Ron to get checked out, as you are obviously worried , go to opticians or doctors, then you can be sure & put your mind at rest, they are the best people to help, worry is not going to help your health, wish you luck, hopefully everything will turn out ok x

Reactions: 4 people

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
I'm going to be in so much trouble when he gets home, but no change there . My middle name is trouble .His current BG level is 6.6 a bit higher than yesterday yet he's had the same things for lunch . He's still got the dull pain , he says its like a couple of days after being hit in the face however that's suppose to feel. The flashes come and go and he's being a right sarcastic so n so .

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sable_Jan

I'm going to be in so much trouble when he gets home, but no change there . My middle name is trouble .His current BG level is 6.6 a bit higher than yesterday yet he's had the same things for lunch . He's still got the dull pain , he says its like a couple of days after being hit in the face however that's suppose to feel. The flashes come and go and he's being a right sarcastic so n so .
I've found over the last few really hot sweaty days that my bs is running higher than normal for the same foods. Think it's to do with hydration levels cos I've drunk no more than usual (and am also on water tablets)

C

catherinecherub

This might help @tina_marie.
Eyes, flashing lights in the:
There are a number of causes of spontaneous flashing light sensations in the eye. A sensation of flashing lights can be caused when the vitreous (the clear, jelly-like substance that fills the middle of the eye) shrinks and tugs on the retina. These flashes of light can appear off and on for several weeks or months. With age, it is more common to experience flashes. They usually do not reflect a serious problem. However, if you notice the sudden appearance of light flashes or a sudden increase in flashing lights, you should see your ophthalmologist immediately to see if the retina has been torn or if there is another cause. Flashes of light that appear as jagged lines or "heat waves" in both eyes, often lasting 10-20 minutes, are different. They are usually caused by migraine, a spasm of blood vessels in the brain. Jagged lines or "heat waves" can also occur without a headache in which case they are termed ophthalmic migraine, or migraine without headache.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7024

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I posted this before, I have 2 tubs of Multistix to check a lot of stuff like @ickihun mentioned and they are invaluable. :)
Me too. I bought them to check for ketones.
Mine can be interferred with by certain meds so i was only checking for ketones. That canagliflozin showed up on dip stick as glucose in urine but that was to be expected.

Reactions: 2 people

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
This might help @tina_marie.
Eyes, flashing lights in the:
There are a number of causes of spontaneous flashing light sensations in the eye. A sensation of flashing lights can be caused when the vitreous (the clear, jelly-like substance that fills the middle of the eye) shrinks and tugs on the retina. These flashes of light can appear off and on for several weeks or months. With age, it is more common to experience flashes. They usually do not reflect a serious problem. However, if you notice the sudden appearance of light flashes or a sudden increase in flashing lights, you should see your ophthalmologist immediately to see if the retina has been torn or if there is another cause. Flashes of light that appear as jagged lines or "heat waves" in both eyes, often lasting 10-20 minutes, are different. They are usually caused by migraine, a spasm of blood vessels in the brain. Jagged lines or "heat waves" can also occur without a headache in which case they are termed ophthalmic migraine, or migraine without headache.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7024
Thank you , my main concern was because he had had his retinopathy test on Monday and a large bleed was found I thought it might have something to do with that .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@tina_marie you have been bombarded with diabetes for months. It sounds like you're worrying more than Ron. Could it be too heavy for you? Take a breath and try and let Ron manage his diabetes.
If you're diagnosed you will have to follow different medical advice as not 2 of us are the same.
Ron will have to concentrate on his complications and you on trying to reverse yours. You won't be able to do both. Too much to cope with. I know you'll want to but Ron will have to us his own judgement on whether he has a problem or not. As you. Everyone knows their body better.
I know if you're diagnosed as not diabetic Ron will be lucky enough to have both of you keeping on top of it.
Explain to Ron that it is just as much a shock to you , as him and your supporting him. Some women wouldnt care. He's lucky , he has you!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@eldergarth have a look in threads about eye problems.
Experience in there that will be helpful at this time. Your wife is worrying because she cares. I hope you can both switch off soon and just have time without diabetic concerns. Wish you both well. Vicky :)

S

Sable_Jan

@tina_marie you have been bombarded with diabetes for months. It sounds like you're worrying more than Ron. Could it be too heavy for you? Take a breath and try and let Ron manage his diabetes.
If you're diagnosed you will have to follow different medical advice as not 2 of us are the same.
Ron will have to concentrate on his complications and you on trying to reverse yours. You won't be able to do both. Too much to cope with. I know you'll want to but Ron will have to us his own judgement on whether he has a problem or not. As you. Everyone knows their body better.
I know if you're diagnosed as not diabetic Ron will be lucky enough to have both of you keeping on top of it.
Explain to Ron that it is just as much a shock to you , as him and your supporting him. Some women wouldnt care. He's lucky , he has you!
I think really keeping to a low carb diet is beneficial both in terms of keeping existing diabetes in check (and helping to prevent a worsening of symptoms) and "reversing" newly diagnosed diabetes....that and moderate exercise (i say moderate as not everyone, Ron included, is able to do much more than gentle walking)

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I think really keeping to a low carb diet is beneficial both in terms of keeping existing diabetes in check (and helping to prevent a worsening of symptoms) and "reversing" newly diagnosed diabetes....that and moderate exercise (i say moderate as not everyone, Ron included, is able to do much more than gentle walking)
Gentle walking is now becoming a problem.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Saw the doc this morning.

He reduced my Glic by half - one a day now and has given me meds for thyroid.

Hopefully I will start to lose weight soon - he even said I had done amazingly well and he could suggest I talk to the lifestyle nurse, but said with my knowledge about diabetes and various medicines and what with joining the gym, said I would probably know more than her!

Review in 3 months.

Reactions: 6 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw the doc this morning.

He reduced my Glic by half - one a day now and has given me meds for thyroid.

Hopefully I will start to lose weight soon - he even said I had done amazingly well and he could suggest I talk to the lifestyle nurse, but said with my knowledge about diabetes and various medicines and what with joining the gym, said I would probably know more than her!

Review in 3 months.

Well done @magsiesss Amazing reduction in such a short time. Keep going.

S

Sable_Jan

Gentle walking is now becoming a problem.
Sorry to hear that. If Ron is offered hip replacement, hopefully soon, then I urge him to go for it. Had both mine done and it was unbelievable. No pain from the op site at all. Walking without pain in hip within days. Had spinal block, but I guess this may not be an option if his spine is arthritic too, so no recovering from anaesthetic apart from waiting for numbness in legs to go. My walking is still restricted due to fibromyalgia but to have fully mobile hips again is heaven

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that. If Ron is offered hip replacement, hopefully soon, then I urge him to go for it. Had both mine done and it was unbelievable. No pain from the op site at all. Walking without pain in hip within days. Had spinal block, but I guess this may not be an option if his spine is arthritic too, so no recovering from anaesthetic apart from waiting for numbness in legs to go. My walking is still restricted due to fibromyalgia but to have fully mobile hips again is heaven
he's still waiting for the neurologist appointment .

S

Sable_Jan

FBG's are on the rise again, 7.3 this am pancreas rewarded with nil by mouth till tonight
Since the weather has been hot and sticky I'm running up to a whole point higher on my usual foods. Keep trying to drink extra but it's hard when you aren't thirsty. Much as I love it there's only so much tea a girl can drink in a day. If I'm really hot COLD water in small quantities is ok.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hope they hurry with it....
its kings mill so probably not . When Ron phoned to make the appointment he can't remember if they said it would be 10 days or 10 weeks before he gets one.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since the weather has been hot and sticky I'm running up to a whole point higher on my usual foods. Keep trying to drink extra but it's hard when you aren't thirsty. Much as I love it there's only so much tea a girl can drink in a day. If I'm really hot COLD water in small quantities is ok.
The summer is the usual here, cloudy and cold!