Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mehhh2015 thank you. I like chia seeds but I must confess I'm not keen on the strong taste and smell of flax seed. :)

Me neither, therefore always making sandwiches with strong flavours as fillings, like chorizo and goats cheese, mustard ham and cheese, etc.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Low carb contributions are of course welcomed, but please keep in mind that this is not the low carb diet section, and debates about diet should be kept out of this thread. Happy posting! ;)

I have had Special K for breakfast and a salad for lunch with which i had 2 slices of cheddar and low fat potato salad.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, mushrooms, bacon
L: slice of cheddar with mayo, handful of cashews
D: lemon butter chicken with leeks, and roast cauliflower and fennel (delicious:hungry:) and a glass of Prosecco (it was left over from having friends round and needed to be drunk. Would be a shame to waste it!;))

Reactions: 2 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
B: scrambled egg, mushrooms, bacon
L: slice of cheddar with mayo, handful of cashews
D: lemon butter chicken with leeks, and roast cauliflower and fennel (delicious:hungry:) and a glass of Prosecco (it was left over from having friends round and needed to be drunk. Would be a shame to waste it!;))

You really could have just stored the Prosecco until you next had a red wine spill !! :p

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs for lunch
made chicken soup in the slow cooker for dinner. Followed it with yoghurt and berries.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling tired over last couple of days... bg readings have been ok though.

Last nights D: marinated chicken pieces rolled in seasoned almond flour (idea from HankJam. TY) smeared in butter then roasted. With a few roasted butternut squash cubes, steamed string beans and 'slaw n roasted pepper salad.
2hrBG: 6.7☺

Today B: 2 egg cheese omelette and left over salad.

Lunch: not hungry so a handful of naked cashews and drinking glasses of lemon water.

D: ??? Looking online for ideas....

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 1 Fried runny egg with tomato and parmesan cheese
L: Pan fried salmon with green salad, black olives and mayo

Tired of all the weight that creep back on :(

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Porridge for breakfast. Fruit and yoghurt for lunch. Sisters cooking tea so no idea what it will be :)

JoseKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Low carb contributions are of course welcomed, but please keep in mind that this is not the low carb diet section, and debates about diet should be kept out of this thread. Happy posting! ;)

JoseKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had scrambled eggs and okra with crisp bacon strips for breakfast.
Ate cottage cheese with onion jalapeños and zucchini mixed for my lunch. Banana for a snack.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee chia seed pudding
L: baked avocado stuffed with mushroom, bacon & sun dried tomato topped with mozzarella; rocket and red pepper salad
D: lemon butter chicken (again), roast cauliflower & fennel

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D: Pan fried salmon with mayo and lemon,
Spinach, courgette and broccoli soup.
2 teaspoons of chia seeds

Astronomer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday, I had Alpen(No added sugar), half a pack of Pringles Chicken and Herbs, nothing for lunch as breakfast was close to lunchtime. For dinner I had a Chinese meal (fried rice, chicken, prawns, beef), big enough to fill a large plate, and washed down with diet Coke. But despite this heavy meal, BG this morning was 4.7, down from yesterday's 5.6! No more big meals for a while though, too many of those and BG will go back up.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Porridge for breakfast with banana, slimfast for lunch with nectarine and yoghurt. Tea is small portion of beef hotpot.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a long trip to the US a few days ago with three flights. Bringing a ton of veggies and nuts with me I was fine at first, but after eating all my stuff and just the air-plane food I liked I completely rejected the last sandwich (seriously, regardless of the dodgy bread, the melty cheese and the honey sauce, why does even the chicken on the sandwich need sugar??? :eek:). There was no food on the subsequent domestic flight. After landing I had problems getting US dollars, but managed to acquire a lovely mid-night wrap with avocado, bacon, chicken and olive oil. The next morning I was ravenously hungry and low on blood sugar (3.9 - and I am type 2). I bought "eggs with bacon and bread and potatoes", but received half a plate of potatoes with a lot of bread, one egg and a bit of bacon - so expensive as well!! I ate it all. This wasn't smart, but with a lot of walking I ended up being al-right - 8.2, which is my second highest reading since measuring my BC levels (which I have been doing for a week or two now).

By now I went to Walmart and filled my hotel fridge with some veggies, eggs, cheese and nuts, so I don't have to rely on eating out all the time :jimlad:

My fasting BC this morning is fine, but I was being super careful for the rest of the day yesterday.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a long trip to the US a few days ago with three flights. Bringing a ton of veggies and nuts with me I was fine at first, but after eating all my stuff and just the air-plane food I liked I completely rejected the last sandwich (seriously, regardless of the dodgy bread, the melty cheese and the honey sauce, why does even the chicken on the sandwich need sugar??? :eek:). There was no food on the subsequent domestic flight. After landing I had problems getting US dollars, but managed to acquire a lovely mid-night wrap with avocado, bacon, chicken and olive oil. The next morning I was ravenously hungry and low on blood sugar (3.9 - and I am type 2). I bought "eggs with bacon and bread and potatoes", but received half a plate of potatoes with a lot of bread, one egg and a bit of bacon - so expensive as well!! I ate it all. This wasn't smart, but with a lot of walking I ended up being al-right - 8.2, which is my second highest reading since measuring my BC levels (which I have been doing for a week or two now).

By now I went to Walmart and filled my hotel fridge with some veggies, eggs, cheese and nuts, so I don't have to rely on eating out all the time :jimlad:

My fasting BC this morning is fine, but I was being super careful for the rest of the day yesterday.

I do a fair bit of travelling, one way or another, and I must admit, on long haul, I try to be a little relaxed about things. That's not because I love airline food, or get desperate for a day off, but because I'm not going to be taking my own food with me; that's for sure, and on that basis I'll be consuming airline food. Some airlines have lower carb options, but the UK airlines appear to follow the NICE guidelines with lots of carbs. However, portions are usually fairly modest, so even if you eat the mash, or whatever, you're not going to be having a vat of it.

For me, the stress of trying to do something different - whether it be to fast for the duration or taking my own food, the stress would probably raise my bloods more than the airline meals does.

Enjoy your trip.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do a fair bit of travelling, one way or another, and I must admit, on long haul, I try to be a little relaxed about things. That's not because I love airline food, or get desperate for a day off, but because I'm not going to be taking my own food with me; that's for sure, and on that basis I'll be consuming airline food. Some airlines have lower carb options, but the UK airlines appear to follow the NICE guidelines with lots of carbs. However, portions are usually fairly modest, so even if you eat the mash, or whatever, you're not going to be having a vat of it.

For me, the stress of trying to do something different - whether it be to fast for the duration or taking my own food, the stress would probably raise my bloods more than the airline meals does.

Enjoy your trip.

Thank you, AndBreathe. I understand it is important for me to find a new 'normal' and not be too rigid about food, especially when travelling, out with friends, etc. Judging from your signature, I believe you are doing very well.

I believe on this trip the stress set in when I was unable to get money out of the cash machines in the middle of the night, after a little while without eating. Normally I take a small amount of the local currency with me when I travel, as I keep small amounts of them at home, but this time I did not have any. I guess, in sum, here were different circumstances coming together. Then the next morning it took me a little while before I left my hotel room, got that cash, walked to the recommended location and so on and so forth. Today I got a sandwich and crisps for lunch and I seem to have handled it well.

Hence, yes, I try to relax about things, prefer to eat the food that is on offer, at least a bit, instead of starving myself. Still, I want to make that small effort to have regular healthy meals as well as my veggie intake. I have taken food with me on flights and other trips before and it is not more effort than packing my lunch box every morning. I buy small bags with mixed nuts when I am in Aldi and these are perfect for travelling. On top, I pack what I can find in the fridge, this time some raw veggies, into Ziploc bags and I am all set :cool: