Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

meow1112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I am a little confused! Diagnosed in Sept 17 and told I had hit just above the cut off of being pre into diabetic. told to manage by lifestyle and diet. HBA1c checked at doc's and nothing mentioned about checking it myself. Is this something I should have been advised to do?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I am a little confused! Diagnosed in Sept 17 and told I had hit just above the cut off of being pre into diabetic. told to manage by lifestyle and diet. HBA1c checked at doc's and nothing mentioned about checking it myself. Is this something I should have been advised to do?
Hi @meow1112 and welcome. It can all be a bit confusing at first. You could and should obtain a testing kit from somewhere - many people use these products http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/ but plenty of others are available.
Usually, an HbA1C need lab testing and GP organises. Hopefully someone else will alert a member with first name daisy to help you.

Reactions: Freema

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @meow1112 and welcome to the forum. If you have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic you need to control your blood glucose levels to avoid becoming fully diabetic. GPs don't advise pre-diabetic or Type 2 diabetics to self test (unless on insulin).
But if you want to know how different foods affect you, and how you are doing, it is advisable to get a blood glucose meter and self test.

Reactions: Freema