Understanding how T1 is passed to children!?

olivem1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a young male adult aspring to build a family, the thought of passing T1 to children is really something that I wish to avoid!

Can anyone point or discuss some research on the likelihood of passing T1 to children (or potential influencers)? Maybe there exists a difference in how early one was diagnosed with T1? How well T1 is managed?

Is this even something that is researched in depth? I am quite interested in a scientific approach and insights rather than some random statistic in some article.

It would be very valuable and greatly appreciated if some T1 parents can share their experiences too!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Here's an interesting article
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797923/

Looks like the chance of a T1 child from a T1 parent is about 1 in 25 in this study, and 3 to 6 % if taken over a number of different studies.. The really interesting one is that this study shows that there is a link between the age of diagnosis of the father and the likelihood of transmission (later is better). Having said that, this is just one (Finnish) study, I'd want to see the results repeated elsewhere to believe that particular titbit....

So yes, your children are more likely to get diabetes, but there's nothing like the strong genetic link in T2 families.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
As a young male adult aspring to build a family, the thought of passing T1 to children is really something that I wish to avoid!

Can anyone point or discuss some research on the likelihood of passing T1 to children (or potential influencers)? Maybe there exists a difference in how early one was diagnosed with T1? How well T1 is managed?

Is this even something that is researched in depth? I am quite interested in a scientific approach and insights rather than some random statistic in some article.

It would be very valuable and greatly appreciated if some T1 parents can share their experiences too!
Hi @olivem1612, The following details are excerpts from the book I'm holding. I was diagnosed at 11 months in 1959:

In the summer we went on Holiday with Trevor and Mary to Pesaro, Rossini’s birthplace. While shopping in the old town we found a high quality clothes shop for bambini. There were pairs of the smallest leather shoes imaginable in all sorts of colours. Helen turned to jelly. “I want one.” She didn’t only mean a pair of exquisite shoes. On returning to England we went to see Dr Lister to ask her opinion on the likelihood of a baby developing diabetes. She reckoned one in twelve (which was based on the outside chance of me having inherited it) and so we decided to go ahead. By early January I had suggested that Helen might be pregnant.

Throughout my life I have had my own thoughts about why my immune system attacked my pancreas fifty years ago, since diabetes appears nowhere in the last three generations of my family tree, and to ascertain all the causes of death before that would be problematic. However, up until 2nd September 2009, the prevailing opinion was that I had inherited diabetes. On that date I received a letter from a consultant in Medical Genetics, Addenbrooke's Hospital, stating “...I am pleased to report that no gene fault has been identified. Therefore, all the tests to date do not support a diagnosis of a genetic form of permanent neonatal diabetes mellitus in you.”
It is currently agreed that diabetes may be initiated by a virus or trauma, especially in a patient with a genetic predisposition.

I hope this helps you in your decision. We have a wonderful daughter who has Coeliac disease (another auto-immune condition) and her own gorgeous six-year-old daughter. We keep our fingers crossed, but the joy far outweighs the angst. Good luck

Reactions: Nooch1

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My nephew is type1. His parents Don, t have diabetes. Nor do fathers family have neither type1 or 2.
On my sisters side of family, it's just me with type2.

Scarjaws

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I come from a family with no history of diabetes at any point recorded be it type 1 or 2, I still developed t1 at the age of 23

happydaze

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a parent myself, I believe a natural birth and being breast fed builds a healthier and stronger immune system, and is less likely to develop the illness. My child is nearly 3 and hasn't had any issues, and I was diagnosed at age 1. I'd also like to look into imbalanced gut bacteria that could contribute to the immune response, since the gut is responsible for roughly 70 percent of the immune system. There has been research suggesting introducing cows milk too early could potentially exacerbate underlying problems, which could develop into Type 1. Also lack of vitamin D and exposure to processed foods could play a part. This is what I've gathered so far...just my thoughts.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second that. I believe breast feeding is very important especially for the immune system. I wasn't breast fed and diagnosed with T1D at 20. My 3 year old daughter has no symptoms or antibodies of diabetes detected. No history of any diabetes in my family before me.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am t1, my dad is t1 and I believe my daughter is also in the early stage of developing t1. For some families it is very generic - there are families where two or three children and a parent all have t1 - others it appears once and not again.
There was no one before my dad.
However I think once it's multi generational it is onviously strongly genetic so I suppose I had a high chance that one or both my own children would develop it.
I do wish my parents hadn't had me and I do wish I hadn't had my own children. It would have stopped it being passed on any further.

It's personal choice though. Most people who are t1 have children who are absolutely fine.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh and my two year daughter was breast fed until she was 20 months. Made no difference.
Some studies actually suggest the antibodies against the insulin cells can be transmitted in beast milk so who knows, maybe by trying to do good I inadvertently triggered it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ExtremelyW0rried - As I understand it, your daughter hasn't been diagnosed with anything, in fact you have been reassured multiple times your daughter is healthy, regarding diabetes at least. Isn't you dismissal of breastfeeding as a helpful a bit premature?

happydaze

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am t1, my dad is t1 and I believe my daughter is also in the early stage of developing t1. For some families it is very generic - there are families where two or three children and a parent all have t1 - others it appears once and not again.
There was no one before my dad.
However I think once it's multi generational it is onviously strongly genetic so I suppose I had a high chance that one or both my own children would develop it.
I do wish my parents hadn't had me and I do wish I hadn't had my own children. It would have stopped it being passed on any further.

It's personal choice though. Most people who are t1 have children who are absolutely fine.

Well I guess all of our immune systems are just terrible! Of course I worry too that my child could end up developing T1 but if that does occur I know I must be equipped to handle it...

There has been a few cases of Type 1 being reversed through alternative therapies - if it is caught early enough to stop the immune response and the body hasn't adjusted fully to external insulin yet. Whilst this is obviously very rare, reaching out to these people could be of some benefit. They might just be lucky or they might have some insights that could prove otherwise.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@ExtremelyW0rried - As I understand it, your daughter hasn't been diagnosed with anything, in fact you have been reassured multiple times your daughter is healthy, regarding diabetes at least. Isn't you dismissal of breastfeeding as a helpful a bit premature?

No she hasn't been formally diagnosed but is on the radar of the diabetes team as her levels have continued to rise.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not dismissing breast feeding - I just think it isn't necessarily as wonderful as it's made out to be in terms of how much difference it makes to future health.
I was also told that if I breast fed whilst my sugars were higher than normal my daughter was receiving excess sugar in the milk. It is true. Excess sugar goes into all fluids in the body.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Oh and my two year daughter was breast fed until she was 20 months. Made no difference.
Some studies actually suggest the antibodies against the insulin cells can be transmitted in beast milk so who knows, maybe by trying to do good I inadvertently triggered it.
Don't beat yourself up about it! I got it at 11 months. Hasn't stopped me having a fascinating life even though I have cheated death at least 3 times.

Reactions: eabhamurphy

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Yeah - it's the potential failing to cheat death that concerns me!
Yes, but considering that was 1959, 1966 and 1979, the chances are much more in your family's favour now. As my boss said to me when I was actively Type 1: "You'll probably outlive us all since you are constantly under the microscope." I have outlived 20% of that particular group. My oldest aunt saw a bomb land in her street when she was a young girl in the First World War. As a result, she refused to travel abroad or use anything but her own car. She lived till she was 85, but restricted herself unneccesarily, albeit understandably.