Update - 3 month hba1c - forum support

Batul

Hi all, I posted 3 months ago stating I had started metformin and gone on a low carb vegetarian diet to reduce my BG levels. I had extreme anxiety levels as my eyes went blurry and I couldn't drive or work. Several members offered wonderful encouragement after my post, saying things would get better in time, as eyes can be affected when you drop your BG levels. Thank you to all of you who posted, I was and still am was comforted by them all.

My eyes are better, but not quite as they used to be and I waited until a couple of weeks ago to visit an optician as advised by many forum members to wait until BG had stabalised, thank you.

I've dropped weight since diagnosis by sticking to a vegetarian low carb diet, I was 17stone 5lbs and am now 16 stone and the weight is steadily coming down.

I ditched the metformin after 3 weeks, mainly because it made me feel terrible and I was encouraged by those here who had achieved fantastic results by diet and exercise. I have a gym in my summer house which I haven't used in 9 years, but I'm now doing small amounts of treadmill and weights each evening.

However here comes the best bit! My hba1c at diagnosis was 105, yesterday when I rang up for my 3 month result, my hba1c was 47!!!!!!! I have some more work to do and obviously this will be a lifetime change, but for the better. Fingers crossed the eyes keep improving, some days the anxiety is still there but I know in time things will be fab.

Again thanks all for the support, I log on each day to read the forums....I might not post but always read.

I'll keep updating on the journey

Hugs, B

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Very well done.

Reactions: Batul

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I posted 3 months ago stating I had started metformin and gone on a low carb vegetarian diet to reduce my BG levels. I had extreme anxiety levels as my eyes went blurry and I couldn't drive or work. Several members offered wonderful encouragement after my post, saying things would get better in time, as eyes can be affected when you drop your BG levels. Thank you to all of you who posted, I was and still am was comforted by them all.

My eyes are better, but not quite as they used to be and I waited until a couple of weeks ago to visit an optician as advised by many forum members to wait until BG had stabalised, thank you.

I've dropped weight since diagnosis by sticking to a vegetarian low carb diet, I was 17stone 5lbs and am now 16 stone and the weight is steadily coming down.

I ditched the metformin after 3 weeks, mainly because it made me feel terrible and I was encouraged by those here who had achieved fantastic results by diet and exercise. I have a gym in my summer house which I haven't used in 9 years, but I'm now doing small amounts of treadmill and weights each evening.

However here comes the best bit! My hba1c at diagnosis was 105, yesterday when I rang up for my 3 month result, my hba1c was 47!!!!!!! I have some more work to do and obviously this will be a lifetime change, but for the better. Fingers crossed the eyes keep improving, some days the anxiety is still there but I know in time things will be fab.

Again thanks all for the support, I log on each day to read the forums....I might not post but always read.

Hugs, B
Well done, well done and WELL DONE! There you are, you see it is possible and you have achieved it yourself. A great result. Commit very firmly now to never relapsing, it’s a new life ahead now and much sunnier prospects.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow - that is so impressive on a vegetarian diet.
You might be on target for normal numbers at 6 months.
My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis, 47 at 3 months and 41 at 6 months - it can be done.

Batul

My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis, 47 at 3 months and 41 at 6 months - it can be done.
I'm aiming for normal numbers at my 6 month test. We have hens, so been loving my omelettes, enjoying different cheeses, broccoli, cauliflower and I discovered chaffles! Going to try and experiment a bit now..had a few swede chips last night but after testing after 2 hours it spiked me to much...so will try with celeriac next time.

Well done on achieving those numbers quickly. I've been reading your posts from over the years..inspiring.. x

Batul

Well done, well done and WELL DONE! There you are, you see it is possible and you have achieved it yourself. A great result. Commit very firmly now to never relapsing, it’s a new life ahead now and much sunnier prospects.
Thank you. I'm definitely committed to this new way of life. Miss my families Indian cooking but in the future they have promised to stick to low carb veg and paneer for me. And I've discovered cauliflower rice which I love. Thanks again.

Reactions: filly

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.

Hugs, B
Very well done indeed. Keep up the good work.

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
Hi, did you reverse you high BG with just Diet & Exercise alone? Keen to know more

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, did you reverse you high BG with just Diet & Exercise alone? Keen to know more
Just diet.
I used a blood glucose meter and checked various foods, but I abandoned the high carb low fat diet my GP had been encouraging me to follow.
At diagnosis I returned to the 50 gm of carbs a day I knew was what made me feel well from following the Atkins diet. That brought me down to a Hba1c of 42.
I now eat only 40 gm of carbs a day, maximum, to try to lower it further, but I am apparently stuck at 42.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic result on the hba1c, eyesight and weightloss.

You've ditched the meds as not making you feel so good but you are doing well dealing with your blood sugars by diet. If you don't put the sugar in basically you won't need meds to deal with it.

You're also doing weights and treadmill. So much positivity in one post. Well done.

Attachments

• 20211123_154748.jpg
    20211123_154748.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 106

Laineybod

That's fantastic. I have got down to 47 as well so can imagine how thrilled you are. So nice to feel less alone with it as well.