ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I went to my Health Group yesterday and I was weighed and I weigh 90.60 kgs, so I've gained a tiny bit of weight. They advised me to try wholegrain starchy foods, 5 portions of vegetables a day but less fruit for my diabetes. I've got to use low-fat dairy products, too. I'm going to go back to using soya and linseed bread like Debrasue from Type 2 Life thread advised me as well as wholegrain spelt spaghetti and wholemeal rice as well as making my chicken and vegetable soups with chicken with the skin removed as well as increasing my walking and swimming activities.
Eat whatever helps you lose weight @JohnnyBaker87. I think for me 5s alot on my meter do that, so foods that aren't too calorie heavy that give you 5s hun.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.7 I have lost a tiny bit ,if anyone finds it will you please send it back I need it
Carol

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how are you doing ickihun both weightwise and in general ?

my weight has stalled on 93 kg it seems, and I am not really motivated for a strict diet at the moment... but must say I grief a lot having become very obese again... but at least I don't weigh 113 kg again... which I did when it was the worst..

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
how are you doing ickihun both weightwise and in general ?

my weight has stalled on 93 kg it seems, and I am not really motivated for a strict diet at the moment... but must say I grief a lot having become very obese again... but at least I don't weigh 113 kg again... which I did when it was the worst..
I'd like to say the same but I'm heavier than when I started low carb because metformin gave me IBS so no more metformin, since I added over 2sts. :( then to add insult to injury I had to double my insulins so add another nearly 2st. So now I'm losing on Dapagliflozin and 800cals diet but my thyroid isn't happy, it aches all the time. Probables too much soy and cruciferous veg. As I eat one veg meal of 240gs and 3 milk shakes which had sugar in them. I take 1x3 mebeverine which is sugar coated too.
So far no thrush on Dapagliflozin because I'm now on a durietic which really helps me expel the sugary waste. On occasion I'm starving. Last night I gorged on raw carrots and they satisfied me before bed. Woke on fbg 6.7 which surprised me as I had like 10 medium sized carrots. I've stopped carb basics, cheese, nuts and animal proteins except for milk but once I'm happy with shake routine I will change to water. In fact I may today to see if less carb hunger? I'm not craving carbs I'm just hungry thou. Seeing dietician tomorrow for advice about hunger. Shakes are very very sweet.

Best part I've lost weight.... This morning I weighed 133.40kgs but I'm swollen with water retention so if I can get water gone by tomorrow mid day I'll be the surgeons target of 133kgs or lower for an op date.

I'm just starting to become happy again. I've been very very disappointed and a bit down because of weight gain.
This mornings loss has really cheered me up!!!!! :) :) :)

Reactions: Jemz and Prem51

Geoffno6

I'd like to say the same but I'm heavier than when I started low carb because metformin gave me IBS so no more metformin, since I added over 2sts. :( then to add insult to injury I had to double my insulins so add another nearly 2st. So now I'm losing on Dapagliflozin and 800cals diet but my thyroid isn't happy, it aches all the time. Probables too much soy and cruciferous veg. As I eat one veg meal of 240gs and 3 milk shakes which had sugar in them. I take 1x3 mebeverine which is sugar coated too.
So far no thrush on Dapagliflozin because I'm now on a durietic which really helps me expel the sugary waste. On occasion I'm starving. Last night I gorged on raw carrots and they satisfied me before bed. Woke on fbg 6.7 which surprised me as I had like 10 medium sized carrots. I've stopped carb basics, cheese, nuts and animal proteins except for milk but once I'm happy with shake routine I will change to water. In fact I may today to see if less carb hunger? I'm not craving carbs I'm just hungry thou. Seeing dietician tomorrow for advice about hunger. Shakes are very very sweet.

Best part I've lost weight.... This morning I weighed 133.40kgs but I'm swollen with water retention so if I can get water gone by tomorrow mid day I'll be the surgeons target of 133kgs or lower for an op date.

I'm just starting to become happy again. I've been very very disappointed and a bit down because of weight gain.

Well done for the weight loss @ickihun great to see the smiley at the end of your message. When I get a bit fed up with my high BG levels I think of people with massively complicated bodies like yours where it’s pretty much impossible to know what to do. At least I’ve only got my annoying pancreas/liver/blood relationship to deal with. Keep smiling and go easy on those carrots!

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

oh so much you have to struggle with at the same time.. but I admire your constant effort no matter what comes your way of troubles... but well I think they are too strict with the conditions for the op, I believe you would have been healthy already if they have given you the op already, I have by the way met some persons that loses too much and keep losing after the gastric bypass operation but most that do really well and are so happy not to have this constant battle every minute of their day to keep weight not raising

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Tuesday is my weigh in date.
Not expecting a big loss this week because as of Sunday, I had a slight gain.

It turned out to be a loss of 1.8 lbs (0.82 kg)
Total loss: 34.19 lbs (15.51 kg, 2 stone 6)

I'm now 239.4 lb (108.59 kg) from 274.59 lbs (124.1 kg)
BMI is now 41.4

Next goals are to get my BMI under 40 and my weight under 100 kg
Well done so far @Chronicle_Cat :)

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
oh so much you have to struggle with at the same time.. but I admire your constant effort no matter what comes your way of troubles... but well I think they are too strict with the conditions for the op, I believe you would have been healthy already if they have given you the op already, I have by the way met some persons that loses too much and keep losing after the gastric bypass operation but most that do really well and are so happy not to have this constant battle every minute of their day to keep weight not raising
I think I may still need to take insulin afterwards so I won't lose as much as most but any permanent loss will be hugely welcomed.
Not many reverse their diabetes if they are insulin resistant with insulin dependancy.
But I'm going to give it my very very best shot.
There has to be a first or a first with all my conditions and complications. Ha ha.
I won't be beaten on this.
No point in getting such a great opportunity and not taking it to its peak.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So looking forward to Friday morning weigh-in.
I might even get a boots print out for proof of once lower than 133.00kgs. for posterity.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done for the weight loss @ickihun great to see the smiley at the end of your message. When I get a bit fed up with my high BG levels I think of people with massively complicated bodies like yours where it’s pretty much impossible to know what to do. At least I’ve only got my annoying pancreas/liver/blood relationship to deal with. Keep smiling and go easy on those carrots!
Thanks @Geoffno6. :)
I'm smiling today because I'm losing, for now.
For years I've eaten a starvation diet to lose but it just goes back on. I cannot sustain a starvation diet without the up coming bypass.
This is my hundredth attempt but I'm hoping this time it will stay off after op. It won't be pain free and I suspect fibromyalgia at mo so hospital will be able to tell me more, hopefully before I'm discharged. I'm on strong pain killers already for immobility caused by my back and pelvis joints with nerves trapped. Severe scatica at times. So god knows what pain relief I'll get from op. Hoping keyhole thou.

Reactions: Jemz

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks SueJB. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere and eating low carb has made it much easier.

For those who don't know, I've struggled with weight since my early teens (I'm 62 now). I have family members who could eat anything and never gain weight (and ate more than I did) but I seem to put on weight very easily.

I've lost large amounts of weight 3X so far in my life (first on Weight Watchers, then on low GI and exercise and again on Weight Watchers. However I've never gotten to my goal weight and put all or most of it back. I had given up completely when my doctor told me that my hb1ac was in the diabetic range = 7%. She asked me to do 3 things - reduce my carbs to lower my blood glucose, exercise 30 min 5-6 times per week and lose weight. (I see her on Tuesday for my first follow up since then.)

My heaviest has been 290 lbs- I started eating low carb at 279 lbs. Previously with low fat diets, I struggled with constant hunger and cravings all the time.

Eating low carb, I feel that I have normal hunger for the first time in my life and cravings are only occasional and not as intense (the most persistent being the desire to eat an evening snack- a lifelong habit. My next mornings' blood glucose is better if I don't have an evening snack do I've stopped.) I wish I had known about this way of eating years ago.

Setting little mini goals that are easier to reach for myself seems to help make it less overwhelming (although I'm hoping to be below 200 lbs, it's a big psychological milestone for me as I haven't been there in many, many years.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jemz and Prem51

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Geoffno6. :)
This is my hundredth attempt but I'm hoping this time it will stay off after op. It won't be pain free and I suspect fibromyalgia at mo so hospital will be able to tell me more, hopefully before I'm discharged. I'm on strong pain killers already for immobility caused by my back and pelvis joints with nerves trapped. Severe scatica at times. So god knows what pain relief I'll get from op. Hoping keyhole thou.

I'm hoping things get better for you ickihun. I hope you get keyhole surgery as well, it is easier to recover from. I had major surgery on my colon 1 1/2 years ago - half of it removed (not bariatric, I'm very high risk for colon cancer). It was keyhole surgery although one of the incisions was bigger they initially expected. (The surgeon had told me that this was a possibility as sometimes in surgery, they need to be it bigger than they expected when they are actually operating.)

Last edited:

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was my weigh- in date and my first 3 month followup with my doctor.

I lost quite a bit this week - 5.71 lbs, bringing my total lost to 39.9 lbs (18.1 kg), my waist has gone down 5" since I started and best of all my hba1c was 5.6% (38).

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. 13 stone 2lbs ( 83.3kg ) up 4 lbs for me! Eat a lot, (though mostly low carb) over the weekend, didnt work it off over the week. Probally down to not doing as much walking as usual. Not going to fret. Keep to the plan. Keen to get down below 13 stone though.
Hope everyone is well, have a great week.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m going to duck out of this thread for a while now. My weight has well and truely plateaued and it’s making me anxious every Friday to have to declare my figures. I’m not forgetting that I’ve lost six stone since diagnosis and know that’s a huge achievement which I’m very proud of. However the last stone and a half that I need to lose to achieve a ‘healthy BMI’ isn’t going anywhere fast :(

Reactions: Jemz

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Fellow Scale Crushers

Those evil, nasty, lying scales that hide in the bathroom were waiting for me this morning.......they said I was 14st 10lb, of course they were lying I know I only weigh 10st 8lbs.
As a little hint I shall be keeping my crowbar next to them, perhaps they will see the error in their ways........

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to duck out of this thread for a while now. My weight has well and truely plateaued and it’s making me anxious every Friday to have to declare my figures. I’m not forgetting that I’ve lost six stone since diagnosis and know that’s a huge achievement which I’m very proud of. However the last stone and a half that I need to lose to achieve a ‘healthy BMI’ isn’t going anywhere fast :(

Rachox, some people just seem to find "their place" when it comes to weight. The only irritation is when "their place" isn't aligned to their desired "place".

I'd also ask anyone losing a material amount of weight (and 6st is a very, very material amount) that there may be some excess skin around which even if it isn't wrinkled or floppy just isn't filled out any more.

I didn't lose anything like as much as so many on here, but when I was being assessed for a potential Coleman Fat Transfer procedure, I offered up my midriff, declaring there to be fat present, only to be told I was wrong. My little bit of "fat" was in fact excess skin.

Afterwards, I could decide if I was more gutted to have excess skin or be left with a wonky bosom. I actually doubt I'd have gone ahead with the fat transfer anyway for other reasons.

I don't waste any head space wondering how much excess skin I might have, but it obviously weighs something.