Weight loss and exercising

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have decided after neglecting my diabetes and getting a wake up call from the eye screening people that i had background retinapathy that i must face it head on and sort my diet and weight out! Our whole family have embraced this life style change for their own reasons which makes cooking and shopping so much easier.
My query is that after swimming today my BG rose from 7.1 to 9.2, admittedly i hadnt eaten as we went at 7am and that was a tad early for me to eat, i just wondered if this is normal and what should i do about it?
Any advice would be gratefully recieved, Thanks

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hadnt eaten anything from before swimming and tested about 10 minutes afterwards.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would advise against missing breakfast titannia especially if you are going to do any exersice, when you exersice you need energy and if you have not eaten then the only way for your body to cover the energy needs is for your liver to 'dump' release glucose into your blood to cover the energy needs, hence the rise in bg levels. You need fuel if you are going to exersice.

As diabetics its important for us to eat regular meals to regulate our bg.

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Sid, i realise now that it wasnt a particularly clever thing to do and will eat before exercising again,i find it difficult to eat first thing in the morning, especially that early! I have only recently discovered this forum and it has answered so many questions for me and given me the information and confidence to tackle my diabetes head on instead of burying my head n the sand and hoping it would go away!For instance, since reading about carbs and the effect on sugar levels, i have reduced my carb intake and my levels have evened out, a revelation!

Rolf

I think running is most beneficial and effective exercise to burn the extra fat of the body very quickly.
You must do running at least 3 miles per day to make the body fit.
http://ftnashville.com/personal-training-nashville-change-your-body-in-4-weeks

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Rolf said:
I think running is most beneficial and effective exercise to burn the extra fat of the body very quickly.

I don't dispute that running is excellent exercise (although even as a runner, I'd contend that cycling is perhaps better), however you don't need to do 3 miles every day to make it work...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
borofergie said:
Rolf said:

I don't dispute that running is excellent exercise (although even as a runner, I'd contend that cycling is perhaps better), however you don't need to do 3 miles every day to make it work...
moreover, running everyday is the best way to put undue stress on joints leading to injury, and that is totally counterproductive. All good training plans increase gradually, include different distances, rest days and days when you do alternative forms of exercise.

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunatley i cant run, i have arthritis and now under the rheumatologist for query Lupus....I will continue swimming although getting out of the pool is hell LOL