Weight training. Type1.

Christo74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I'm a type 1 insulin diabetic from south Africa with highs and lows I would like to get into weight training and would to build a good athletic physique and build muscle mass could anyone help me in any way on how to start what supplements can be used and what to eat so I can gain bulk without affecting my levels becoz I know too many carbs are a problem thank you guys ur help will be appreciated

Reactions: Freema

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a pretty loaded question, and people have written books about the subject so it's tough to interpret where you're starting at and what your current plan looks like.

My general mindset is that big muscles move big weights so focus on maximum strength (1-3 rep max). In contrast, high repetitions is more aligned with cardio (think about how a sprinter is built versus a marathon runner).

Speaking about your diet, it's easy to gain muscle...just eat as much as you can. HOWEVER, it's a lot tougher to gain muscle, gain as little fat as possible (you're going to gain some), and keep your blood sugar in check. If it were me, I'd focus on trying to gain 3-4 pounds a month (note: most of that will be water/food retention).

Be consistent in the weight room, consistent in the kitchen, and you will gain weight. Don't worry about supplements right now. In this context, anything that's legal is a waste of money.

Unfortunately, there are no secrets or shortcuts with gaining weight. You have to put in the time and sweat, and you can't just throw money at the problem and expect it to get solved.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Figure out how much calories you need per day here. Then calculate how much of that will be protein you'll need about 2 grams/kg of bodyweight. Granted it's on the higher side of the spectrum but it's a nice round number for when trying to build muscle. 1 gram of protein is 4 Kcal so subtract that from your daily requirement. The rest of what you have you need to divide over carbs and fat. Which is the tricky part since you're diabetic. For non diabetics you'll get the majority from carbs and the rest from fat. For diabetics getting the majority from carbs is a problem so i personally go higher on the fats (healthy fats that is). Avoid trans fat at all cost and get the majority from unsaturated and some saturated.

On the supplement front avoid weight gainers as they're just carb bombs. You can make your own but they still easily contain 50-120 grams of carbs. You'll find plenty of recipes online but i still don't like to suggest them. When i use them i split them up in small portions 3-4 times a day with about 20-25 carbs per serving which will give me about 1000-1200 calories when i've consumed all servings. Personally i do suggest whey protein because it has an immensely high biological value (bv), without going into to detail you want a high bv on your protein sources. Don't bother going for expensive brands just get a reputable brand, you can check a lot of supplements on www.supplementlabtest.com

Some foods i found "easy" to adjust to are:

• Peanut butter: compare different brands and go for the lowest in carbs, you'll get a good 350 kcal/100 grams with around 5-7 grams of carbs
  • Cheese: high fat (fat = 9 kcal / gram), high protein, low carb
  • Nuts: mixed nuts, high in fiber easy +600 kcal/100 grams
  • Fatty fish: healthy fats, high in fat and protein
  • Lean meat: chicken, turkey, tenderloin, ground beef

On a overall note i find the importance in diet to be in descending order: calorie consumption, macro nutrients (carbs, proteins, fat), micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals), timing of nutrition and then lastly supplements. For diabetics even before all that you can put stable blood glucose levels since not having this will impede gains.

Furthermore you should realize that when having a more active lifestyle and a diet adjusted to it you'll need to adjust your insulin to match which will be tricky and sometimes frustrating. Having a routine in eating habits and workouts will make this easier.

Good luck in your endeavor.