What Cooking Oil Are You Using?

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im still frying my bacon and salmon,i hate grilled food ,trouble is im using Canola oil which i saw on the internet stands for Canada Oil ,apparently its a poison

So I switched to vegetable oil and now i heard thats no good either

So i switched to olive oil until a friend came to my house and was shocked saying olive oil is only for cold salads not to cook fried stuff in and it could cancer ,so.........

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The prohibition against cooking with olive oil has been debunked, so fine to cook with it.

I use macadamia or avocado oil more than olive oil - both very stable and healthy profiles.

Sometimes use ghee or butter, less frequently use coconut oil.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As of a few months ago no liquid oils allowed in my home except for the occasional splash of good quality cold pressed olive oil. I cook with solid fats. Vegetable oils are ultra processed foodstuffs and I try my best to avoid processed foods wherever I can.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, rice bran oil ( for stir fries) or occasionally unsalted butter ( lactose intolerant so cannt have dairy more than a couple of times a week)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah maybe i should use butter ,but i th8nk thats too fattening

Only if you eat a lot of carbs. The fewer carbs you eat, the more fats you can eat. Butter is very good for us, full of essential nutrients.

There are no oils in our house - highly processed and full of omega 6. The only oils that are not full of omega 6 are rapeseed and olive. They each contain high levels of omega 3 (the good stuff), with Rapeseed having a better balance of omega3 to omega 6 than olive oil. Cold pressed rapeseed oil is OK in my opinion. Neither of us likes olive oil anyway!

Reactions: flexi06

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah maybe i should use butter ,but i th8nk thats too fattening

I have lost 34.6lb the last 64 days since I introduced lifestyle changes, including switching to a LCHF diet that uses butter for frying, and in large quantities in butter chicken curry.

In my experience using fats like butter, olive oil, coconut oil and avocados and nuts has helped me lose weight by making me feel satisfied with smaller meals and means that I am not hungry at all between meals, including a 63 hour fast last week where I felt only slightly peckish a couple of times.

When I was eating lots of carbs and limiting my fats a little to save calories, I was hungry some of the time and very nibbley every night, which often ended up with visits to the kitchen looking for snacks - those feelings have completely disappeared.

This is my experience, and may not reflect other people's experience, but it seems to be common to experience satiety with food much more when fats are used, and butter is no problem as far as I can see.

My blood sugar has also gone down because eating high fat enables me to cut the carbs to 20g or under per day and not feel hungry because of big crashes in blood sugar. My levels are much more stable now.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only oils that are not full of omega 6 are rapeseed and olive.
Not strictly true - macadamia oil is: Saturated 16% / Mono 83% / Poly 1% - so less than olive oil
Compared with olive oil: Saturated 14% / Mono 73% / Poly 11%

I've been using macadamia since I saw how good the profile is - also has great flavour and high smoke point.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following is a table that lists oils with breakdown of profiles ranked by the Polyunsaturated column:

oils.PNG

(Table from http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2012/05/27/checking-your-oil-the-definitive-guide-to-cooking-with-fat/)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use lard or goose or duck fat.
Lactose intolerance, so no butter for me!

Got warned about vegetable cooking oils about eight years go.
My endocrinologist enforced this after I had told him my dsn and GP had told me to use vegetable oils to lose weight. That haven't offered advice since, New GP and dsn since as well.

Think, I can remember some article referring to olive oil, only using 100% virgin olive oil! But I may have have it wrong!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im still frying my bacon and salmon,i hate grilled food ,trouble is im using Canola oil which i saw on the internet stands for Canada Oil ,apparently its a poison

So i switched to olive oil until a friend came to my house and was shocked saying olive oil is only for cold salads not to cook fried stuff in and it could cancer ,so.........

I hardly ever use any oils or fats for frying these days. Most foods that I fry seem to sort themselves out after a minute or two. Bacon and other meats obviously have their own fat which soon coats the pan once they are heated. Other things like even just mushrooms on their own also produce a lot of moisture.

Then again I do use non-stick pans which I know come with their own health warnings especially if you let them get too hot.

I'm very into my Tefal Saute pan at the moment. It's useful for most types of cooking on the hob, frying / boiling / steaming. It's very good for one-pot-cooking as well. It's great for putting some belly pork in, along with vegetables like broccoli and mushrooms, then putting the lid on, just turning the meat once and moving the veg around. It usually turns out well - the meat is fried and cooked through nicely, and the vegetables are a sort of a mix of fried and steamed. I don't add water or oils or fats because there is plenty of that released by the foods.

Reactions: lindijanice

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

I think all the poison about Canola oil comes from the US, because it's GM. There is very little wrong with rapeseed oil (which is what Canola is), and it has good Omega 3 and Omega 6 content.

Reactions: flexi06

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some cast iron pans I bought decades ago and they need no oil as they are like mirrors now - even though I use metal implements on them.
I usually use olive oil or animal fats from the meat I cook when I need to seal a joint or encourage pork crackling to form, but a few weeks ago I bought some groundnut oil and a couple of days using it caused terrible inflammation in my joints and muscles which vanished just as fast when I stopped using it, so if I ever need extra fat again I will buy lard or tallow.

Reactions: pcs63

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Omega 6 is a necessary fatty acid, but should be as even balanced as possible with omega 3. Omega 6 is an inflammatory fatty acid. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory. The more O6 in a food the more inflammatory it will be, which is why O3 is so important.
Apparently, our current consumption is around 16:1 ratio of O6 to O3, and I read somewhere that in the US this has risen to 25:1.
A more desirable ratio is 2:1. The vast increase appears to be down to processed refined oils used in fast foods, ready meals, restaurants and in domestic use. They are cheap, and used extensively in the food industry.

http://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2014/02/the-new-fat-problem-omega-6-fatty-acids

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold pressed Rapeseed oil is a different beast to Canola oil, which is/was highly processed.

For me it is a combination of butter and olive oil for frying off onions, frying fish coated in ground almonds.
Use Lard when frying meats.

Reactions: flexi06 and Disol

Hotpepper20000

When I make bacon I use the fat from that to fry the eggs.
And then save the left over for roasting radishes.

Reactions: OrsonKartt